Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

NelleBelle

I’d much rather walk it than stand around waiting to be packed into transportation at the end of the night! I hate waiting in crowded lines and then being sandwiched in Lomé sardines! If given the choice of waiting in line for 20 min for transport vs hoofin’ it—totally taking the walking path every time! Worth every dime! Hence why we tend to rent our own car when we stay now to avoid the buses, etc.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
cGreenwich1jul15.jpg

Simple and quick solution would be a prefab pedestrian swing bridge. It requires only a single foundation on a single bank and can be easily and quickly installed.

Since a permit was filed, it's safe to say that the engineering and design has already been done. It is also possible that if the bridge is prefab, it could be backstage on property already. Since I don't have any access to aerial photography, any aerial recon of large back stage storage in the area may be warranted.

SomeInternetGuy

This is a possibility.

I thought of that too, and it definitely could be just for that path to nowhere. However, the permit is for Large construction, indicating it will affect more than 5 acres of land. Even doing a very generous measurement around the path I was only able to get to about 4.5 acres. And yes, it's also possible it could affect more than 5 acres in that area alone, but if they're just modifying that path it seems unlikely unless they're tearing out a bunch more land than I've already highlighted below.

rvHwExF.png

i5V8vZh.png

Last edited:

alex0c

Really hope this is true. The permit is pretty vague though, just "dewatering"... could it just be related to removing the personalized bricks? Maybe that's just what they call the "path to nowhere" even though it doesn't go all the way to GF.

the.dreamfinder

A premature question, but where do we think the security checkpoint will go and how will they handle possibly two resorts worth of walking guests?

Monorail_Red_77

That canal this walkway will potentially cross is in no danger of being filled in. This canal is used for water management across property as well as the Electrical Pageant barge storage and the only way to move the steamship from Rivers of America to the Dry Docks on the north shores of Bay Lake. This is also used to fill the most around the castle along with Jungle Cruise rivers and Rivers of America. I don’t know how they will cross this canal. I can’t see them making this elevated since it would have to be as high as the Monorail beams in this area, which is one of the tallest points of the system. They could use a draw bridge like at Epcot where they store and maintain the Friendship boats, etc. My thoughts is more of a near grade level draw bridge like at Epcot, less of a fall hazard.’plus would only need to be manned during certain times of the day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know. We stay at YC/BC each fall and GF each summer. We just returned last night from a week at the GF and there is something incredibly relaxing about seeing and hearing the boats and park from our balcony. Also where else can you watch the fireworks while in the pool each night?
We've been hoping for a walkway for decades.
View attachment 388921

Or you can have 15 restaurant options and not worry about the same fireworks for decades at a clip...just saying 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That canal this walkway will potentially cross is in no danger of being filled in. This canal is used for water management across property as well as the Electrical Pageant barge storage and the only way to move the steamship from Rivers of America to the Dry Docks on the north shores of Bay Lake. This is also used to fill the most around the castle along with Jungle Cruise rivers and Rivers of America. I don’t know how they will cross this canal. I can’t see them making this elevated since it would have to be as high as the Monorail beams in this area, which is one of the tallest points of the system. They could use a draw bridge like at Epcot where they store and maintain the Friendship boats, etc. My thoughts is more of a near grade level draw bridge like at Epcot, less of a fall hazard.’plus would only need to be manned during certain times of the day.
Was anyone worried about that?

Mike730

@danlb_2000 I vaguely remember a recent permit for the monorail station or MK entrance area with a drawing that included something about the path south of the monorail station. Does this ring any bells? Any overlap here?

nickys

Premium Member
As much as I’d love this, I can’t help but wonder whether this is what it seems.

Couldn’t it be that “GF to MK walkway” is a better description than “Path to nowhere”? Maybe they just need to do something where the crane is, like shore up the bank. Presumably to actually build a bridge they would need a permit specifically for that? Let’s hope we see that soon!

I’m just keeping my fingers crossed for now, hoping this isn’t going to be a big let-down.

WWWD

A side entrance to MK via Frontier Land would be nice, kind of along the line of the entrance to California Adventure from Grand California. I would definitely stay at Grand Floridian if I could avoid Main Street and be in my room within 15-20 minutes after leaving the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom