Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Probably they will go through the new GF/Poly boat security screening.
View attachment 389884
In that case it’s possible to have a path hug the lake and not have to go through security. It could work.
I highly doubt they would move the EWP. That would be a lot of work and money for no real benefit. I do thing it could possibly close periodically during construction.
Theres already a path from the Contemporary, they just need to make a more established path to there and then guests could use the existing walkway to MK.
Yes, but that path has a security checkpoint for people walking to MK.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I highly doubt they would move the EWP. That would be a lot of work and money for no real benefit. I do think it could possibly close periodically during construction.

There would be a big benefit, it's cheaper to build a permeant bridge then a bridge that has to open every day.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder how they will connect the GF side. Putting in a second bridge right by the lagoon wouldn't make much sense since it would drop you right onto an access road. I am guessing the may follow that path that is already there up to Floridian way and then create path that connects it to the convention center.

View attachment 389885
Makes the most sense and saves money too.

s8film40

As I mentioned in an earlier post, if they only need to handle the riverboat they could do semi-permeant bridge that could be lifted out with a crane when necessary.
That sounds like a lot more trouble than a drawbridge. I’m all but certain they wouldn’t move forward with this plan with anything other than a drawbridge or swing bridge or something like that. Didn’t someone mention that watercraft has already been informed of this and that they would operate it? Maybe I saw this somewhere else.

I also think if they did put a permanent bridge in they wouldn’t move the EWP, it would simply be the end of it. That dock it uses is very long.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That sounds like a lot more trouble than a drawbridge. I’m all but certain they wouldn’t move forward with this plan with anything other than a drawbridge or swing bridge or something like that. Didn’t someone mention that watercraft has already been informed of this and that they would operate it? Maybe I saw this somewhere else.

I also think if they did put a permanent bridge in they wouldn’t move the EWP, it would simply be the end of it. That dock it uses is very long.
They could dock at Discovery Island. Not using it for anything else ;)

Brad Bishop

Just some possibilities...

It could be a permanent earthen bridge with the water pageant relocating or ending. This might also help keep alligators from coming and going into ssl.

Could be a temporary tram road to allow for work on the monorail beams.

Could be a permanent tram route to add transportation capacity and backup during downtime and/or peak demand.

They have to have access to that canal unless they get rid of the Liberty Belle Riverboat. The canal is the access they use when they have to move it over to their dry dock area for refurbishment. Of course, if they got rid of that or made it a permanent structure (like build a base and then set it down inside it for fancy dining) then they can either fill in the canal or cover the opening with dirt and put some pipes in to let the water pass.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They would have to build a dock and like I said that would be a VERY long dock. I highly doubt Disney would put any large money into the EWP. I think we’re lucky they haven’t eliminated it just to cut the handful of CM’s who operate it.
I agree. I was just kidding about Discovery Island.
They have to have access to that canal unless they get rid of the Liberty Belle Riverboat. The canal is the access they use when they have to move it over to their dry dock area for refurbishment. Of course, if they got rid of that or made it a permanent structure (like build a base and then set it down inside it for fancy dining) then they can either fill in the canal or cover the opening with dirt and put some pipes in to let the water pass.
I have a bad feeling this may be the reason they are finally doing this. Build a permanent bridge and use it as an excuse to end EWP and permanently doc the river boat. Hopefully not, but it makes a lot of sense for cost cutting.

WDW Pro

People, they will NOT build a permanent, non-moving bridge to the backstage access canal. It's not going to happen. The old plans included a drawbridge, but they may have changed it to a different type of moving bridge. But regardless, they will put a moving bridge there when they connect the pathways.

jrogue

I'm not much of a construction pro, but is this happening pretty fast for just having the permit done? Or are these first construction steps normal timing? (ie the flags)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm not much of a construction pro, but is this happening pretty fast for just having the permit done? Or are these first construction steps normal timing? (ie the flags)

It is a little odd to see equipment on site when then only just received this permit. I would assume this would need a South Florida Water Management District Permit which can take up to a couple months for approval, but they haven't applied for one yet.

Missing20K

Seems like that is going to be a long walk...
anigif_enhanced-24369-1454511243-3.gif

MickeyMinnieMom

No longer than Yacht Club to the Studios, which I've done plenty of times. Probably walk it in less time overall than going to the Monorail or boat and waiting on them to arrive, unless you're lucky with the timing.
Especially excellent for at night after fireworks and park close. We love that about BLT, and would do the occasional GF stay with this added. 👍

sndral

I'm guessing the majority of the traffic will be TO the MK... with the boats and monorails dominant in the evening hours heading back.
Especially excellent for at night after fireworks and park close. We love that about BLT, and would do the occasional GF stay with this added. 👍
Leaving MK at closing and getting back to the GF is unpleasant at best, all of the people heading to the TTC overwhelm the resort & express monorail lines & waiting for the boat can be as long as waiting for a bus & it’s not uncommon to have to wait for a second boat. So, despite a long day of walking, I’ve often gazed longingly at the path that ‘almost’ reaches the GF when I’m staying at the GF.
One thing that occurs to me is that WDW visitors have already come up with solutions to deal with all that walking, to wit, the fit walk, the young are pushed in mega strollers, and those unable to walk long distances use ECVs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom