Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No

Is it just me, or is that sign a little misleading? Normally, when the sign is on the right side of a pole, you would think that you need to go that way. In this case, even though the sign is on the right side of the pole, the arrow points to the left, indicating that you need to go to the left side of the pole. Maybe it makes more sense in person.

ImperfectPixie

Is it just me, or is that sign a little misleading? Normally, when the sign is on the right side of a pole, you would think that you need to go that way. In this case, even though the sign is on the right side of the pole, the arrow points to the left, indicating that you need to go to the left side of the pole. Maybe it makes more sense in person.
Having worked in the sign business for decades, that is an odd layout for a light-post sign. Rule of thumb is the slat should stick out in the direction you need to go. My thoughts are that they wanted to keep the number of slats even, so they sacrificed clarity for design...never a wise choice.

JoeCamel

Having worked in the sign business for decades, that is an odd layout for a light-post sign. Rule of thumb is the slat should stick out in the direction you need to go. My thoughts are that they wanted to keep the number of slats even, so they sacrificed clarity for design...never a wise choice.
Seems that the resort boat will be added to the blank and the path to the boat is the same as the GF so it will have the same arrow. The others are a hard left towards the buses. Makes some sense to me

Mike730

It seems misleading. I think its the arrow on the sign that's weird. The walkway is more like "straight then bare right". You can see it in this photo:

1598623544569.png

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
In this case, if they put the slat pointed in the direction of the walkway, nobody looking at the post from the direction of walking would be able to see it... it would be hidden by the post.

Yes, it's potentially confusing -- a flat sign (like the bus/boat signs) would make more sense.

ImperfectPixie

Seems that the resort boat will be added to the blank and the path to the boat is the same as the GF so it will have the same arrow. The others are a hard left towards the buses. Makes some sense to me
It does...when you're looking at a picture and notice the arrows.

But people actually there, not having seen the pictures, will likely not notice the arrows at all especially because they're in a lighter color than the lettering. The shapes of the slats aren't helpful, either, because the ends draw your eye in the direction they're pointing.

We run across these kinds of issues when designing/installing hospital signage all the time. Sometimes a design just isn't functional on the ground when there are people looking for where to go.

ImperfectPixie

In this case, if they put the slat pointed in the direction of the walkway, nobody looking at the post from the direction of walking would be able to see it... it would be hidden by the post.

Yes, it's potentially confusing -- a flat sign (like the bus/boat signs) would make more sense.
Flat would have been so much better. They could even still have mounted it to the light pole...not quite as pretty, but much better in functionality and clarity, and all the arrows could have been on one side. The arrows not being along one edge of the sign (like bullet points) screws people up way more often than you'd think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom