Grand Floridian or Polynesian Resort

JonFromPhilly

Original Poster
We have stayed at both, we just stayed at the GF a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The last time we stayed at the Poly, a few years ago, we could see it really needed some TLC, which it is getting. After the dust clears we will stay there again. Either one is a great resort.

Did you feel GF was worth the price?

JonFromPhilly

Original Poster
Polynesian, by far. Although GF looks beautiful on the outside, it has more of a sterile, non-welcoming feel to it on the inside. The Poly, on the other hand, feels like a very warm, relaxing, and fun resort. Both have their perks of being on the monorail line and in the best area (MK area) of all of WDW......but I'd definitely go with the Poly over GF.

Yeah what you just said seems to be a common opinion about GF. I've watched walk through videos of both resorts on YouTube and Poly seems to have a much better vibe to it.

Dagmar

Poly. If you plan on using you car at all, Poly has the best, most convenient parking that I have seen at any resort. At GF, guest parking is a looong walk, across the street, to go to the lobby is not enroute, so you walk through the bus waiting area and then walk through an employee smoking area. That was my experience, at least, it will depend on what building you are in. But the parking is not convenient at all. The Poly has easy access to the TTC, take monorail to Epcot, take ferry to Magic Kingdom, or take resort boat to Magic Kingdom. The quick serve restaurant at the Poly, Capt Cook's, is convenient and awesome. The quick serve at GF is neither. I love stopping by the GF lobby and watching the band play and checking out the gingerbread house and tree at Christmas time, but it is a short walk from the Poly to check it out. My advice is to stay at the Poly, visit the GF.

laynalee07

Grand Floridan vote from me!
I have stayed at both and actually love both, but GF just has that "feel" for me. And they GF does have the monitor at the bus stops telling you what time the busses should arrive next.
image.jpg

And you can't forget the awesome door greeter at GF, Mr. Richard!

JonFromPhilly

Original Poster
Interestingly enough, GF is ranked #31 out of 332 hotels in Orlando on TripAdvisor while Poly is ranked #115 so that's pretty telling.

Last edited:

aw14

Interestingly enough, GF is ranked #31 out of 332 hotels in Orlando while Poly is ranked #115 so that's pretty telling.
I assume you mean the trip advisor reviewS? They can be misleading and subjective imo. I have stayed at Poly just this last August and loved it. I have also stayed at resorts rated better, and didnt enjoy it as much

Either way, GF or Poly, you will have an awesome time.

JonFromPhilly

Original Poster
I assume you mean the trip advisor reviewS? They can be misleading and subjective imo. I have stayed at Poly just this last August and loved it. I have also stayed at resorts rated better, and didnt enjoy it as much

Either way, GF or Poly, you will have an awesome time.

Yeah I left our the "tripadvisor" part. I've never booked a hotel without checking it out on TA first lol.

corey154

We just got back from GF and it was wonderful. I haven't stayed at poly since 2008 but I don't remember nightly turn down service like at GF. Chocolates left on pillows and curtains drawn for us in the evening was a great touch. The carpets were plush and the lobby smelled so good. I remember poly being fun but I really enjoyed the sophistication of the GF. (We're normally at a moderate) After GF we are spoiled. That's just us though. Everyone has their favorites. We rode the monorail to dine at poly a few times and enjoyed visiting, but was happy we were at GF. Oh yeah, during the day they had a piano player in lobby and full band in evening. It was relaxing to sit in the lobby and people watch.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We just got back from GF and it was wonderful. I haven't stayed at poly since 2008 but I don't remember nightly turn down service like at GF. Chocolates left on pillows and curtains drawn for us in the evening was a great touch. The carpets were plush and the lobby smelled so good. I remember poly being fun but I really enjoyed the sophistication of the GF. (We're normally at a moderate) After GF we are spoiled. That's just us though. Everyone has their favorites. We rode the monorail to dine at poly a few times and enjoyed visiting, but was happy we were at GF. Oh yeah, during the day they had a piano player in lobby and full band in evening. It was relaxing to sit in the lobby and people watch.
All rooms at GF receive nightly turn down service (and have robes in the closet!) At the other deluxe resorts, you need to stay club level to receive turn down and robes.

bethymouse

I love staying at both! The GF truly is "grand". The rooms are nice with indoor corridors in the different buildings. 2 nice large pools, and wonderful restaurants and shops. But, if you want to feel like you're in Hawaii, then Poly is great! The longhouses are nice and rooms are very well appointed, about the same size, maybe a bit smaller than GF rooms. Wilderness Lodge is my husband's favorite though. No monorail, but boat to MK is very nice!:) GF is WDW's "flagship" resort, so you just can't go wrong in any way staying there IMHO. But, is it worth the $$$$$$. Not sure, unless it's a special occasion. The grounds at both resorts are lovely, but there's something romantic about the POLY, and I can't quite put mu finger on it.;)

MrDee

I love staying at both! The GF truly is "grand". The rooms are nice with indoor corridors in the different buildings. 2 nice large pools, and wonderful restaurants and shops. But, if you want to feel like you're in Hawaii, then Poly is great! The longhouses are nice and rooms are very well appointed, about the same size, maybe a bit smaller than GF rooms. Wilderness Lodge is my husband's favorite though. No monorail, but boat to MK is very nice!:) GF is WDW's "flagship" resort, so you just can't go wrong in any way staying there IMHO. But, is it worth the $$$$$$. Not sure, unless it's a special occasion. The grounds at both resorts are lovely, but there's something romantic about the POLY, and I can't quite put mu finger on it.;)

I truly concur, but we (my wife, 1st son, and I) had a truly, Magical stay at the Grand, that I will NEVER let Disney forget. I was already a complete convert, but their appreciation of US was something that will make me visit again and again. Plus, Holey Moley that almond encrusted cheesecake at Narcoosee's is Bliss on top of Bliss.

I liked the Polynesian, but I was working during that visit and didn't quite get to enjoy it the way I'd like to. I'd like to stay again to give it a full test drive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom