Grand Floridian or Bay Lake Tower?

micknminnie

Original Poster
For a family of 8 which would you choose as far as room size? 4 adults, 4 children under 11? I've heard BLT is on the smaller side. Is this true? I don't want to feel like I am on top of each other but the though of walking to MK is enticing. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Beta Return
We're not a big group like yours, but we're so undecided we'll be making a split stay next January! Half GFV, half BLT.

We've stayed at both. GFV rooms are definitely larger. BLT rooms can feel cramped because of the wedge shape of them, and all the angles. But regardless, as long as you have a 2-BR, either will work. And if walking to the MK is the tie-breaker, you'll be just fine at BLT.

I wouldn't suggest one of the older Villas, like Wilderness or the Epcot Villas, because those rooms are indeed smaller and more cramped.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
BLT studios are on the smaller side. The 1BR and 2BR villas are actually 3rd largest at WDW (OKW largest GFV 2nd). Here's the complete list by square footage:
http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/grand-floridian/news/2291-dvc-villa-square-footage-by-resort

VGF is newer so rooms have less wear and tear, but they will also cost you about 20% more points on average. With 8 people I'm assuming you are looking at 2BR villas. BLT will give you a 3rd full bathroom too. Not a huge deal, but it comes in handy when you have 2 adults showering in the morning and one of the kids needs to go. The walk to and from MK is a nice benefit, especially at park closing/after wishes. We had the same sized group at BLT and never felt cramped. I've never stayed at GFV, but they look pretty roomy from the pictures too. The balcony at VGF is larger. At BLT the 2BR has 2 separate balconies, one off of each bedroom, but the living room is in the middle and does not have a balcony. There is a door from the living room onto the side of the balcony off of the MBR. At VGF I think the balcony stretches across both bedrooms and the living room. If it's a lockoff there is a wall between the balcony on the 2nd bedroom and the main balcony since that room could be rented either as a studio or part of a 2BR. It's easier to understand with pictures:

VGF:
image.jpg

BLT:
image.jpg

Tom

Beta Return
BLT studios are on the smaller side. The 1BR and 2BR villas are actually 3rd largest at WDW (OKW largest GFV 2nd). Here's the complete list by square footage:
http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/grand-floridian/news/2291-dvc-villa-square-footage-by-resort

VGF is newer so rooms have less wear and tear, but they will also cost you about 20% more points on average. With 8 people I'm assuming you are looking at 2BR villas. BLT will give you a 3rd full bathroom too. Not a huge deal, but it comes in handy when you have 2 adults showering in the morning and one of the kids needs to go. The walk to and from MK is a nice benefit, especially at park closing/after wishes. We had the same sized group at BLT and never felt cramped. I've never stayed at GFV, but they look pretty roomy from the pictures too. The balcony at VGF is larger. At BLT the 2BR has 2 separate balconies, one off of each bedroom, but the living room is in the middle and does not have a balcony. There is a door from the living room onto the side of the balcony off of the MBR. At VGF I think the balcony stretches across both bedrooms and the living room. If it's a lockoff there is a wall between the balcony on the 2nd bedroom and the main balcony since that room could be rented either as a studio or part of a 2BR. It's easier to understand with pictures:

VGF:
View attachment 83173

BLT:
View attachment 83174

The bathroom scenario is a really good point. A MAJOR perk of BLT is the full bath in the living room. That means guests 7 & 8 can get ready at the same time as guests 1 through 6. It's great not to have to share bathrooms, especially if you like to take over the vanities and put your personal effects everywhere (like we do).

So, BLT has the walking to MK and 3rd bathroom PRO's going for it. It's also an easy walk to the main tower, whereas it's a much longer walk and trek up stairs to get to the monorail at the GF.

JTT

BLT has one huge advantage. You can walk to Magic Kingdom. I love that and it came in handy so many times when my wife and or son was tired, I could leave them and in less than 5 minutes I was on main street having fun.

However, the BLT is so antiseptic. It's clean, modern and dull. There is no Disney warmth or atmosphere like you have at the other resorts. Walking into the lobby was like walking into the lobby of a super high end office building.

Tom

Beta Return
BLT has one huge advantage. You can walk to Magic Kingdom. I love that and it came in handy so many times when my wife and or son was tired, I could leave them and in less than 5 minutes I was on main street having fun.

However, the BLT is so antiseptic. It's clean, modern and dull. There is no Disney warmth or atmosphere like you have at the other resorts. Walking into the lobby was like walking into the lobby of a super high end office building.

So.....you're saying it's.....contemporary?

loveglobe

I'm a VGF owner but agree that the extra bathroom could be a deal breaker for some parties. For instance, we recently stayed at BWV in a 1 bed/1 bath with my mother (3 adults, 1 toddler in a pack n play) and I thought it was perfectly fine but she felt another toilet would've been nice. A 2 bed at either resort you're choosing from will have at least 2 but you'll have twice as many people as we did so I just thought I'd bring that up.

Also, I think you may want to take into consideration the resort amenities beyond walkability to MK. Are there restaurants at one versus the other that you'll like going to more? Chef Mickeys versus the 1900 Park Fare character buffet etc? Does one pool look more fun to your kids than the other? (That is, if you plan to fit in any pool time!) There's also the points consideration too where you might be able to get a lake view room at BLT instead of a standard view at VGF, if you like watching the nightly water show.

In the end though, you're choosing between two great options so I'm sure you'll have fun at whichever one you decide on!

squidward

So.....you're saying it's.....contemporary?

But even more so than the Contemporary. I'm not a fan of the resort, but once you get on level 4, it has a Disney feel to it somewhat and is exciting. BLT is dull as a plastic butter knife after 30 seconds in a microwave. Honestly, I really have seen office buildings with more personality.

JohnWD

I felt that BLT was sterile like a hospital the first time we stayed there. However, we've stayed a few times now and we love it. Being right next to MK and the hotel, plus the fireworks at night makes BLT now feel magical!

slappy magoo

Extra bathroom FTW as far as I'm concerned. I'll grant the rooms at the VGF look nicer, the water play area is more elaborately themed. But I think BLT/Cont has the better location, walk to MK, monorail to TTC/Poly/GF/MK, plus boat to WL/FW/MK. If you want easier access to other resorts and their restaurants, I think BLT/Cont is much more convenient.

micknminnie

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's input. I guess it's really up to what is available. My inlaws are DVC owners and their first choice is GF. That being said, a cm on a previous call told my mil that GF is very hard to get and that at her 7 month mark she should get one the phone as soon as reservations open to try to book it. Though I am not crazy about the décor I definitely think being able to walk to MK would make BLT my first choice. But hey, I will be happy anywhere in Disney.

Tom

Beta Return
But even more so than the Contemporary. I'm not a fan of the resort, but once you get on level 4, it has a Disney feel to it somewhat and is exciting. BLT is dull as a plastic butter knife after 30 seconds in a microwave. Honestly, I really have seen office buildings with more personality.

I felt that BLT was sterile like a hospital the first time we stayed there. However, we've stayed a few times now and we love it. Being right next to MK and the hotel, plus the fireworks at night makes BLT now feel magical!

I agree that the exteriors of both buildings are very plain and dull. And the Contemporary lobby and first floor scream "business" without an ounce of Disney. But yeah, as you get up to the dining and gift shop floor, it's more magical.

The location is what it has going for it the most. Monorail to Epcot, walk to MK - hard to beat. And if you get the right view (i.e. MK view), it's really hard to beat sitting on your balcony, or even at the large living room window, watching fireworks or just seeing all the activity around the MK.

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess it's really up to what is available. My inlaws are DVC owners and their first choice is GF. That being said, a cm on a previous call told my mil that GF is very hard to get and that at her 7 month mark she should get one the phone as soon as reservations open to try to book it. Though I am not crazy about the décor I definitely think being able to walk to MK would make BLT my first choice. But hey, I will be happy anywhere in Disney.

GF probably is hard to book at 7 months these days, now that it's had a year or so to sell. We stayed there last March, in a 1BR, with no problem. But hardly anyone had bought in when we booked. Next January, we're looking to do a split stay at GFV/BLT, but we need 2-BR's at each. We'll be stalking inventory online and will be on the phone the minute DVC opens at 7 mos out. We'll see.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
GF probably is hard to book at 7 months these days, now that it's had a year or so to sell. We stayed there last March, in a 1BR, with no problem. But hardly anyone had bought in when we booked. Next January, we're looking to do a split stay at GFV/BLT, but we need 2-BR's at each. We'll be stalking inventory online and will be on the phone the minute DVC opens at 7 mos out. We'll see.
We have a 1 bdr at GFV for next month that we booked at the 7 month mark. It seems that the studios go much quicker. I would recommend using the Resort Availability Tool up on the DVC web site a week or two before you wish to book to see if anything is still available. Love that tool, since you can search multiple resorts with multiple room type at the same time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You may have a better shot at getting VGF in a 2 bedroom at 7 months. I think they have about 50 dedicated 2BR units and 50 2BR lockoffs (a 1BR with a connecting door to a studio). The lockoffs can be rented as either a 2BR or split into 2 rooms and reserved as a 1BR and studio separately. Even if all 50 studios get booked before the 7 month window there are still a whole bunch of dedicated 2BRs. When are you going? Time of year also is a factor in availability.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom