Grand Floridian DVC Studio

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
DH and I are planning a 5/2018 trip and will stay in a DVC Studio. We have been all over the map on where to stay. We have since settled on the MK area since we spend the most time there and enjoy dining at those resorts.
We are now entertaining the idea of a GF Studio since we've never stayed at the GF before and like the photos we've seen.

What are you experiences? Pros and cons of GF DVC or GF in general? We've visited the resort a few times to explore the shops and ate at the QS spot once.

Thanks!

oliviosis

I haven't stayed at GF since I was a teenager (and my parents were paying ha ha!) but it is my favorite hotel on property. Even as a moody teen, it charmed me! I absolutely love it's character and theming. I've been telling DH for years that I want to stay there the next time we can escape without the kids.

lostpro9het

What are you experiences? Pros and cons of GF DVC or GF in general?
Our most recent experience: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...urtles-surf-n’-turf-2017.924513/#post-7581597

Pros:
Absolutely beautiful rooms
The DVC building is small so no room is that far from checkin.
Dedicated DVC checkin
Close proximity to the pool
Easy walking to the Poly
Getting to MK is easy between the boats and the monorail

Cons:
If you're dependent on QS food then you will have a little walk to get it.
Getting to any park other than MK is less than magical.
I'll probably get roasted for this but....I'm not a fan of the GF food offerings, V&A excluded. GFC is just ok and Narcoossee's & Citricos have been warn down by the DDP and CMs failure to enforce a dress code.

Going into VGF I was expecting a sterile retirement home setting void of color and theme, I was WAY wrong. The place is just fantastic.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Our most recent experience: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-did-you-ever-get-the-kid-to-like-cruising-sea-turtles-mate…-sea-turtles-surf-n’-turf-2017.924513/#post-7581597

Pros:
Absolutely beautiful rooms
The DVC building is small so no room is that far from checkin.
Dedicated DVC checkin
Close proximity to the pool
Easy walking to the Poly
Getting to MK is easy between the boats and the monorail

Cons:
If you're dependent on QS food then you will have a little walk to get it.
Getting to any park other than MK is less than magical.
I'll probably get roasted for this but....I'm not a fan of the GF food offerings, V&A excluded. GFC is just ok and Narcoossee's & Citricos have been warn down by the DDP and CMs failure to enforce a dress code.

Going into VGF I was expecting a sterile retirement home setting void of color and theme, I was WAY wrong. The place is just fantastic.
Thanks for your thoughts and the info you shared! It sounds like you really enjoyed it there. I will be sure to read your TR.

I totally forgot the GF had a boat to MK! We will likely do that a few times.
I think we are going to aim for trying Narcoossee's just for the sake of trying it. After all of our trips, we have never eaten at a TS restaurant at GF. I hear you about the DDPs effects on restaurants. I was hoping the signatures would be more immune to the deterioration...

correcaminos

My issues with GF in general are the transportation issues. The boat to MK stops at Polynesian first. So on the way back it's great, but going it isn't. If the resort monorail is down it's not all that great.

Otherwise it isn't a bad place to stay ;) Seriously it's well appointed and IMO the 2nd best studio in the MK area (PVB's studios are larger and have a 2nd shower). I also like the ability to walk to and from the Polynesian (and technically TTC). We enjoy our stays in the area because the food options are quite vast between GF and Polynesian.

I personally think for Disney prices & food the Grand Floridian Cafe was pretty darn good. Not exceptional but it isn't signature dining so no big deal.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
I haven't stayed at GF since I was a teenager (and my parents were paying ha ha!) but it is my favorite hotel on property. Even as a moody teen, it charmed me! I absolutely love it's character and theming. I've been telling DH for years that I want to stay there the next time we can escape without the kids.
Hey if it can fix a teenager, it must e something special!

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
My issues with GF in general are the transportation issues. The boat to MK stops at Polynesian first. So on the way back it's great, but going it isn't. If the resort monorail is down it's not all that great.

Otherwise it isn't a bad place to stay ;) Seriously it's well appointed and IMO the 2nd best studio in the MK area (PVB's studios are larger and have a 2nd shower). I also like the ability to walk to and from the Polynesian (and technically TTC). We enjoy our stays in the area because the food options are quite vast between GF and Polynesian.

I personally think for Disney prices & food the Grand Floridian Cafe was pretty darn good. Not exceptional but it isn't signature dining so no big deal.
Thanks for your helpful insight. Now if they'd only fulfill those plans to create that walkway to MK, it would fix that issue! In our dreams, right?

eliza61nyc

516.jpg

Amen, op we stayed there in May. the monorail in a word sucked. I later found out it was on limited schedule but that did not help that it was constantly breaking (which meant we had to get off at the CR or Poly) and it was packed.

I did like that you passed through security before getting on the monorail thereby bypassing the one at MK. I loved the resort. we stayed in the Villas and usually got a great place to park right behind the gym making a short walk to the room. our room was beautiful (shower and tub to die for).

322.jpg 323.jpg

21stamps

I'm a huge fan of the boats!! Especially on the way back from MK. Even when staying at Poly I don't find the stop at GF as adding too much time to the trip. While staying at GF I liked to use the monorail to MK, and the launch back as well.

We also used the launch to go eat or rent a boat at Poly quite a few times, it's extremely quick! Although from the DVC building it's probably faster to walk.

The bus rides to other parks are fine as well, you don't have any additional stops. However, I've always been a huge fan of cabs at WDW though, now Uber.

correcaminos

I'm a huge fan of the boats!! Especially on the way back from MK. Even when staying at Poly I don't find the stop at GF as adding too much time to the trip. While staying at GF I liked to use the monorail to MK, and the launch back as well.

We also used the launch to go eat or rent a boat at Poly quite a few times, it's extremely quick! Although from the DVC building it's probably faster to walk.

The bus rides to other parks are fine as well, you don't have any additional stops. However, I've always been a huge fan of cabs at WDW though, now Uber.
I would like the boats more if they were wheelchair accessible. It's a big deal within our family if they are not (disabled since birth relatives). Buses are a hassle with chairs as well (not impossible at least but not fun) also takes out most cabs. The Minnie Vans supposedly are accessible though.

If it's just my immediate family it's not a big deal. When traveling with the extended family and the resort monorail is down, it's a much bigger deal at some resorts.

CSJORDAN

The VGF studios have 2 bathrooms; one with walk in shower and sink area with tv in mirror; the second with a standard tub/shower and toilet, no sink, as I recall. Staying there again this year for our second VGF NYE!

correcaminos

The VGF studios have 2 bathrooms; one with walk in shower and sink area with tv in mirror; the second with a standard tub/shower and toilet, no sink, as I recall. Staying there again this year for our second VGF NYE!
Oops that should have been 2nd bathroom area not shower. I just love that stand alone shower though so I must have typed what I love about it! I type too fas sometimes! The shower head in it is better than any I've had anywhere so far.

VGF has one bathroom area that can be closed off. One sink and shower on the one side, closable door, then the tub combo and toilet on the other.

At PVB they are different areas and entrances which allows for a little more privacy IMO. Extra sink too. Two really great studio layouts though. The extra bathing helps us at both, but the extra sink is a winner for me so I can do make up undisturbed.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Here's the floor plan for the studio. If I remember correctly, while the vanity has only one sink, it's a pretty large vanity, so plenty of room.

I don't remember the Villas having a separate check-in, we still had to go over to the GF lobby to check-in, but that was last February. I thought the desk in the Villas lobby was more like a concierge desk, not check-in. It's about a 5-10 minute walk over to the GF, but the walkway is covered...you can go out the back door, rather that the front. There's a separate bell services with a covered drop off And you want to park in the visitors parking area, not the main GF parking lot. After you clear the guard house, you want to take a hard right to enter that parking lot.

While.small, the Villas are quiet and we had a view of the Lagoon.

gf_studio.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom