Gran Fiesta Tour Music

Timothy_Q

Original Poster
I know this has already been discussed many years ago, but I couldn't find anything.

I'm going to WDW by the end of january for the first time since they refurbished the Mexico ride and I was wondering if they still play the "theme song" from El Rio Del Tiempo somewhere or if they just threw it out completely?

I don't know if I'll have the guts the go on the "new" ride, as the old one was one of my favorites... I was devastated when I heard they had changed the music in the ride... oh well

Thanks

maelstrom

It's definitely still played in the "small world" type room. I honestly can't remember for the rest of the ride.

WDWGoof07

The old music from El Rio del Tiempo is no longer played. The song that is played now for most of the ride is a fantastic instrumental arrangement of "The Three Caballeros".

MickeyMario, I was a fan of the old ride, too, but this new ride is lots of fun. You'll enjoy it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually liked the new ride better when I first rode it.

Oddysey

As WDWGoof just said there are no remnants of the old music. Not even in the small world room. Hope you enjoy the new version. I prefer the old one, but to each his own I suppose.

Timothy_Q

Original Poster
Thanks guys

I wish they would at least play it in the pavillion
I'll just have to get used to it then

WDWRLD

I too thought it was still played in the "small world" room.....guess im just hearing the old music in my head. I really liked the old version, the fog in the first tunnel, the statue at the end of that tunnel that changed, but I espically miss the scene where you were floating past a market and the video screens followed along with you.

WelshBatman

Even though the music is gone, most of the old ride elements are still there. It's just been "plussed." If you liked the old one, you'll probably like this one as long as you don't have an aversion to the Three Caballeros. At the very least, it's something to check out while in the World Showcase and there's hardly ever a line.

sbkline

I know they kept the cliff diver scene, and just added Donald into it, but my memory escapes me right now as to whether they added Donald into the Marketplace scene, or did they do away with that scene altogether?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I know they kept the cliff diver scene, and just added Donald into it, but my memory escapes me right now as to whether they added Donald into the Marketplace scene, or did they do away with that scene altogether?

The marketplace scene isn't a marketplace scene anymore, it's been changed to Mariachis, lots of balloons and Donald trying to reach the Mexican girls.

The old song is no longer played anywhere in the attraction.

forevermickey

It is my 5 year old daughter's favorite ride in WDW, she wants to ride it over and over, she has adored it since she was 2 years. She is a BIG fan of the 3 Caballeros :)

T-1MILLION

I also don't consider the ride a plussing situation. Just a pointlessly character saturating the situation instead of letting it be original. Clearly it did not do much for the ride because you never see people rushing to buy merch or enjoying it much differently..with the exception of maybe some kids who are avid Donald fans. And I do like the characters in question, just not in the ride.

The most catchy piece of music outside of the Sherman Brothers at Disney was also heard here.

When they took out the fog effects and altered the mood around the beginning I also feel it damaged the pavilion a bit in general.

The market scene was a beautiful ingenius scene in the old version of the ride. The sequence there now does not have the same effect.

As WDWGoof just said there are no remnants of the old music. Not even in the small world room. Hope you enjoy the new version. I prefer the old one, but to each his own I suppose.

I too prefer the old version. Something kitschy and nostalgic about it. Sad they're using the sort of generic Fantasmic score.

Generic in the sense that it is played in multiple places.

WDWRLD

Yes...it is nice to see the old cliff diving scene and IMO the adding of Donald to this part was a "Plus".

The marketplace scene isn't a marketplace scene anymore, it's been changed to Mariachis, lots of balloons and Donald trying to reach the Mexican girls.
Lots of really fake looking baloons.....
The old song is no longer played anywhere in the attraction.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I honestly don't mind the new version that much, although the old version was more mysterious in the opening with the statue that changed to a person and back, the rest was starting to look quite dated.

And as I've mentioned in the past, Mexico isn't exactly a place people don't know about...and with the changes since 1982, all of the travel and educational shows on TV and stuff give a good idea about what Mexico is like.

Also, if they updated the ride now for a realistic view of Mexico....well, let's just not "go there"

SeaCastle

I think bringing in the Three Caballeros was a great way to add relevance to the attraction, especially given the relative obscurity of the characters. Having experienced both versions of the Mexico boat ride, Gran Fiesta Tour remains my favorite incarnation, and incidentally, one of my favorite rides at the parks.

kcnole

I actually like the new version now. The old version didn't make any sense at all unless you did a ton of research on it and was awfully insensitive to what Mexico really was. It was by far, the most laughable attraction in Epcot.

Many people don't like it since it has characters added to it now, but I think it gives it a direction and a storyline that most people can easily get now while engaging the children. It also does as good of a job as El Rio Del Tiempo did of showing the Mexican countryside.

They could have done a great deal better had they gone in a different direction and invested a lot more money in it, but I think what they've created is far better than previously.

As for the music, maybe I need to look up a video of it, I was certain there's at least a segment where Donald is humming the old song.

-----

After watching the new version, its not the old tune, but they are very similar in style and sound.

Here's a link to the new version if you want to see what you're in for before riding. I find it fun although I do wish they'd used animatronics on the stage at the end instead of just another cartoon screen.

Gran Fiesta Tour

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom