Governor Bush and Eisner Meet

mickeyfan

Original Poster
The link below should take you to an article in the Orlando paper about Michael Eisner and Governor Bush meeting.

www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-eisner12042001.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Also, President Bush is suppose to be in town for a conference. Rumors were that Magic Kingdom was closing for a Media/Press event this afternoon. Maybe the "Bush Brothers" are going to pay a visit? Just speculation on my part, but would be interesting.:lookaroun

Also, Columbia Bush is there as well for a conference:

"FIRST LADY'S DRUG PREVENTION CONFERENCE"

Seems like there could be a small family reunion!!

Cindylou

If Pres. Bush is there to help Disney get things back on track, maybe a little inconvience is worth it. I think the problems Florida is having is just a bit more upsetting than your having a little indigestion.

NowInc

Florida isnt suffering as much as you'd think. I was at the parks a few days ago..and they were plenty full. Things have picked up considerably the last few weeks...and I see a pretty decent recovery by the middle of next year.

Cindylou

Guess I should have figured that. I still think it is great that the President is trying to do what he can. Yes I am aware that Jeb is his brother. I suppose Disney is using this to their advantage to get what they can, and get rid of any dead weight that they can.

If things are picking up at the parks, why are the hotels still seeminly having trouble getting people in them. Or is this just garbage too? Or do you think people are staying off property?

NowInc

Well...Driving down international drive the other day I noticed a few "No Vacancies" signs on hotels...which leads me to believe that people are staying off property. Cant say I blame them. 45 bucks a night for a hotel 3 miles from the parks is not a bad deal.

Cindylou

Well, I guess for some that really helps. I happen to be a DVC member, and I think being on property is part of the magic. So much of that magic has been tarnished over the years, I have to hang on to what I can.

But also, maybe it is a good dose of reality for Disney. Some of the hotels have really raised there prices quite a bit, and they keep taking stuff away(less transportation, no early entry )and I am sure things I am not even aware of yet. We have not been there since last May, and our next trip is to DL. We will be in WDW in Jan so I will see for myself then.

NowInc

Originally posted by Cindylou
Well, I guess for some that really helps. I happen to be a DVC member, and I think being on property is part of the magic. So much of that magic has been tarnished over the years, I have to hang on to what I can.

But also, maybe it is a good dose of reality for Disney. Some of the hotels have really raised there prices quite a bit, and they keep taking stuff away(less transportation, no early entry )and I am sure things I am not even aware of yet. We have not been there since last May, and our next trip is to DL. We will be in WDW in Jan so I will see for myself then.

I agree that staying on property is all part of the magic..but sadly its not cost effective.

I would like to think disney would take note of this and wake up..but I dont see it happening...

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Cindylou
If Pres. Bush is there to help Disney get things back on track, maybe a little inconvience is worth it. I think the problems Florida is having is just a bit more upsetting than your having a little indigestion.

I cannot pull the Full article off the Ap Wire now...but I will say this..

One Man in the audience in During the Town hall meeting pointed out yeasterday...that the Bush Admin. gave airlines billions of dollars of help after Sept 11....and Could the Hospititality and Tourism industry get similar grants and loans...

"To answer your question directly...NO," Bush Said.

Cindylou

Money is not alway's the answer. His presense there can have a great deal of influence. Seems to me, Disney has made quite a few $$$ in the past, should they not have put some aside for rainy day's? I think just seeing President Bush there will be enough for some to feel that Disney is secure, and according to Now,Inc. the Parks are already seeing people return.

Frankly, everywhere I go, I see tons of people out, at the movies, in the stores (spending money), so I am not sure where all of the doom and gloom is coming from. Well, maybe I do know, but still it should give people cause to wonder.

zonguy

Originally posted by DMC-12

I cannot pull the Full article off the Ap Wire now...but I will say this..

One Man in the audience in During the Town hall meeting pointed out yeasterday...that the Bush Admin. gave airlines billions of dollars of help after Sept 11....and Could the Hospititality and Tourism industry get similar grants and loans...

"To answer your question directly...NO," Bush Said.

Bush explained that airplanes bring tourists to those hotels, and that is why his administration felt it was important to help the airlines.

Now there can be arguments about how the airlines got themselves into this situation, but the investment in the airline industry will benefit the hospitality and tourism industry. So Bush answered with a qualified "no".

ToTBellHop

Disney is not in danger of going out of business, so I don't think the government needs to fork out money for them...vacationers do.

mickeyfan

Original Poster
I agree that the government shouldn't bail out the tourist industry. I think that Disney has been trying to "grow to fast" in the past few years and has stretched their resources pretty thin. It seems like they are trying to monopolize the entire tourist industry in that area. However, as Now Inc., said, people will stay off property for less money and Universal has really took a bite out of Disney's visitors in my opinion. But I am a truly dedicated fan to Disney and will continue to go there in spite of it all. As a matter of fact I was there in January, August, November and will go again the week after Christmas. It's a way of life for me.......a fetish as one of my bosses put it!! :D

I'm doing what I can to help out our economy here in Florida!:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom