got a new camera... Sony a3000...conflicted though

Daniel Johnson

Original Poster
Hey all. I was at Sam's Club tonight, they had a display of the new Sony a3000...they compared it to nikon and Canon entry level dslr models. And it's a striking competitor. 20 mpix, 55-210mm
& 18-55mm E mount lens as a bundle.
Full specs here-

http://m.store.sony.com/products/27-ILCE3000K~B

I kinda feel I rushed to judgment.

The good- The price of the bundle was $291+tax. I have a little bit of money to play with, and have been thinking about buying a new dslr camera set up, I have a fairly used Nikon d90 w/NIKKOR
18-200mm lens. It was my father's before he passed away two years ago. It was dated before he passed, it's beat up, But more sentimental than anything.
So, I took the empty Sony box you the register to buy it. The lady informs me they only have the display model. I looked it over, and it's in good shape, the lens cap is missing. I ask if there is a discount and she says they are asking $200 plus tax for the display...so I bought it. Already ordered a cap off eBay, like 6 bucks I think.
The unknown- And after going to dinner I start actually researching it. The promotional end cap stated it's the smallest and lightest dslr camera package made...but, I've since learned the e mount lens have no manual focus switch...I am charging the batteries tonight, so I haven't played with the features or even cracked the manual as of yet... so, I really know nothing of the features of the camera.
I also have learned it's a mirrorless system. So, it's NOT a dslr at all, correct? It does however take 1080 video, with dual stereo microphones, which I'm excited about, I've always wanted to video the night time shows at Disney, and some concerts I play at. It is quite light and small for changeable lens kit, but not tiny like the small point and shoot size camera out now with interchangeable lenses. I guess I'm just a little disappointed I see no manual focus option...but is there one?
Is this thing a viable option for a hobby camera in respects to a real dslr? I do have the d90, and I do play with the manual focus, but, I'm not really savvy with the full features available to a dslr. I want to be...I just really have no clue if what I bought was worth it. Just need a little help from you guys who are more into this stuff. Thanks for helping the clueless...I am volunteering at a street concert tomorrow night here in my town and usually take the d90 with me, I'm gonna take the Sony just to see what the features are like before I decide to return it or keep it,
Thanks again all!

Last edited:

fractal

The A3000 is a mirrorless camera and is not a DSLR, which is why it is so small. I'm not a fan of the camera (but am a fan of mirrorless) but for $200 you got a steal. The lenses alone would likely get you close to twice that if you sold them on ebay.
The camera does have manual focusing - I don't know who told you otherwise. There is no "switch", it is engaged through the menu system. You can buy an adapter to fit your father's 18-200mm lens on this camera. One of the advantages of mirrorless cameras is the ability to use almost any lens with it ( some with, some without autofocus ). The sensor in the A3000 had been rated fairly well. It is APS-C sized ( like a low-mid level DSLR). The disadvantages of the camera is a low grade electronic view finder and cheaper materials ( which is why the cost is so low ). Used correctly, however you should be able to produce some very nice results with it, including video. I dare say that for $200 I don't think there is another camera + 2 lens option available with the potential to create as high quality images.

Here is a decent review of the camera when it first came out ( for $400 with just one lens ).
The other nice thing is you can eventually step up to an A6000 which is awesome camera selling for under $600 body only.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a3000/sony-a3000A.HTM

A3000 SUMMARY
Some cameras are all about cramming in features; the Sony A3000 doesn't play that game. It's been pared down to the basics -- you get precisely what you need, and little more. But while rivals in its pricetag skimp on the basics with plastic lens mounts and years-old designs, Sony plays its own game, making an affordable camera that you'd actually want to own. But that's not to say that there are no compromises in the A3000. Read our in-depth Sony A3000 review, and find out whether Sony's hit the perfect balance between features and cost!

PROS
Absolutely incredible value; Includes a stabilized kit lens; More versatile than a fixed-lens bridge camera; Comfortable body with good ergonomics; Great image quality; Good autofocus performance; Decent battery life.

CONS
Feels a bit plasticky; Slow burst shooting with limited buffer; Sluggish to power on or switch modes; Low-res EVF and LCD monitor; Can't review images using EVF; No video output; Weak flash; Battery charges in-camera.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
Available since early September 2013, the Sony Alpha A3000 carries a list price of just US$400 -- and that's with an E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS stabilized kit lens included in the bundle. For step-up buyers, the lower pricetag means money back in their pocket, or spent on their first system accessories.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks. I'm actually enjoying it a lot. I am ordering the adapters for the Nikon and Canon lenses I have.
Be aware there are all kinds of auto focus issues with the adaptors. Not a problem if you plan to manual focus, but AF leaves a lot to be desired with those.

fractal

Be aware there are all kinds of auto focus issues with the adaptors. Not a problem if you plan to manual focus, but AF leaves a lot to be desired with those.

I don't think you can get a Nikon adapter to AF. Canon, yes but as you alluded, very slow AF. I recently purchased an adapter for A-Mount lenses with AF and it is excellent.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think you can get a Nikon adapter to AF. Canon, yes but as you alluded, very slow AF. I recently purchased an adapter for A-Mount lenses with AF and it is excellent.
Yep I should have added that the Sony adaptor for A mount can give very good AF. I was specifically referring to the Canon converter. I've also read about issues with in lens stabilizers also not working via adaptors.

Daniel Johnson

Original Poster
Never rush into buying anything in the way of cameras, computers, phones etc without doing your research
As I usually agree, it seemed like a good deal, and for the time being, it's a decent little camera for my level of photography. But I do agree. That's why I haven't purchased a dslr since getting the d90 over two years ago. Even with the lenses in the bundle, it seems to be great for night shots I've taken. I do wish I could use the view finder more...I have glasses, I'm not willing to scratch my lenses to look through the plastic frame.
For what I Spent, it's a fine little camera for someone like me that isnt totally photog savvy...yet

Last edited:

thomas998

I've played around with the Sony mirrorless cameras and the only two issues I have is that they lack enough e-mount lenses which forces you to use adapter and other manufacturer lenses and my biggest issue is that Sony still hasn't perfected their flash system... when I've used Nikons the flashes seem to almost always work as I expect them to... but with Sony you will often have to tweak the photos with a flash afterwards as their system just doesn't really work consistently... you might think they tend to over expose so you compensate for it only to have random under exposed shots... the flash system is a weakness Sony hasn't fixed yet.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I've played around with the Sony mirrorless cameras and the only two issues I have is that they lack enough e-mount lenses which forces you to use adapter and other manufacturer lenses and my biggest issue is that Sony still hasn't perfected their flash system... when I've used Nikons the flashes seem to almost always work as I expect them to... but with Sony you will often have to tweak the photos with a flash afterwards as their system just doesn't really work consistently... you might think they tend to over expose so you compensate for it only to have random under exposed shots... the flash system is a weakness Sony hasn't fixed yet.
I keep seeing them announcing E-mount lenses over the past moth or so, I think they are really addressing that issue now.

The flash system does not seem to be improving though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom