Google Maps/Earth has updated recently for the parks (Nov/Dec 2018)

imarc

Original Poster
I semi-frequently like to visit Google Maps to look at park layout, etc.

I noticed yesterday that it looks like the satellite shots were updated recently. Based on the condition of GotG gravity building and comparing to bioreconstruct tweets, I would guess that what they have now is November/December 2018.

Yes, it's not as up to date as the aerials that are frequently posted here but thought some might enjoy clicking around with so many projects ongoing on property.

trainplane3

I semi-frequently like to visit Google Maps to look at park layout, etc.

I noticed yesterday that it looks like the satellite shots were updated recently. Based on the condition of GotG gravity building and comparing to bioreconstruct tweets, I would guess that what they have now is November/December 2018.

Yes, it's not as up to date as the aerials that are frequently posted here but thought some might enjoy clicking around with so many projects ongoing on property.

Finally! I've been wondering when they would update it. You've only been able to see the old hub in 3d and the current one in 2d for a very long time:

And now I can zoom in and hate the GotG box from every angle all while in the comfort of my home!

DisAl

If you look at the information bar at the bottom of Google Earth you will see the image date. The ones I am seeing of WDW are dated 11/16/2018. (That is on the full Google Earth application. It may not be on the web based version.)

Last edited:

note2001

They digitally removed all the people, but, their shadows remain!

Looks like they were having the dance party parade in the hub at the time of the imaging.
Seriously, I'm looking at EPCOT and the people removal makes it look like a junior high hack job. Everyone is blurred, most are faded, some are still there completely. The method used messes with the look. They should have just left everyone in.

imarc

Original Poster
If you look at the information bar at the bottom of Google Earth you will see the image date. The ones I am seeing of WDW are dated 11/16/2018. (That is on the full Google Earth application. It may not be on the web based version.)

Thank you for that info. I was using the Chrome based version and it doesn't show that information.

trainplane3

They digitally removed all the people, but, their shadows remain!

Looks like they were having the dance party parade in the hub at the time of the imaging.
It's from when everyone got snapped.

Seriously, I'm looking at EPCOT and the people removal makes it look like a junior high hack job. Everyone is blurred, most are faded, some are still there completely. The method used messes with the look. They should have just left everyone in.
$5 says it's an AI job with extreme minimal human input. It works but it's no where near perfect.

trainplane3

Absolutely computerized, using a similar method to face and license plate blurring. I still argue they'd have been best off to leave the people in.
The one reason I can understand they didn't is because the height mapping is automated so you'd end up with bumpy ground due to the people.

Snap them out of existence and you get a smooth ground but the remains of the guests.

DisAl

The one reason I can understand they didn't is because the height mapping is automated so you'd end up with bumpy ground due to the people.

Snap them out of existence and you get a smooth ground but the remains of the guests.
Aw shucks. I was thinking they made the photo the day I rented the whole park for just myself. Didn't even need fastpasses. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom