News Goodbye to The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Mr. Chapstick, is slicing & dicing to make quarterly reports look better to Disney stockholders. Staying at the GF is expensive so cutting the GFO perk is a great idea right? NOT! :arghh::banghead:
That would be a danger IF people didn’t fall over themselves to book and return when things loosen up.
It's the big things that draw you in but the little things (bands, actors, performers, greeters, etc) that make you stay and take your time (and spend your money). Those little things make the areas feel "right". Isn't the whole Disney "magic" thing supposed to be about details too? Just because something's there but isn't the center of attention doesn't mean people don't notice it. Those little things all add up to the overall experience.

I guess the good thing is that I won't have a reason to spend $20 on a single drink at that bar behind where the stage used to be. So, uh, thanks guys?
I appreciate your zeal...but the era you’re speaking of is largely over. When people fall over themselves to get there...AND are willing to pay more to not have to deal with the other people attending...who on earth is Disney under obligations to “court”?? It’s bad business.

UNCgolf

I've never stayed at the Grand Floridian, but I've been over there several times and always planned on staying there eventually.

The orchestra was one of the main reasons I liked to visit/wanted to stay. There were others, but like the orchestra, they are being systematically removed. It would not be high on my list of places to stay right now.

DVCakaCarlF

The press release from Disney is complete bollocks.
Just tell the truth. An orchestra is expensive and our guests are uncultured.
In all honestly, some of the people at Disney are easily mistaken to be from Myrtle beach.

That being said, the cost of the room, food, drink, etc there is what subsidizes the cost of the amenities. If guests don’t value that, then they should stay at a “value” Resort.

TrainsOfDisney

In all honestly, some of the people at Disney are easily mistaken to be from Myrtle beach.

That being said, the cost of the room, food, drink, etc there is what subsidizes the cost of the amenities. If guests don’t value that, then they should stay at a “value” Resort.
People also pay $500 for Broadway tickets and show up in t-shirts and shorts. That doesn’t mean they deserve any less for the money they spent.

tirian

It's the big things that draw you in but the little things (bands, actors, performers, greeters, etc) that make you stay and take your time (and spend your money). Those little things make the areas feel "right". Isn't the whole Disney "magic" thing supposed to be about details too? Just because something's there but isn't the center of attention doesn't mean people don't notice it. Those little things all add up to the overall experience.

I guess the good thing is that I won't have a reason to spend $20 on a single drink at that bar behind where the stage used to be. So, uh, thanks guys?
They’ve been saving me a ton of money on merchandise too! :D

DVCakaCarlF

That would be a danger IF people didn’t fall over themselves to book and return when things loosen up.

I appreciate your zeal...but the era you’re speaking of is largely over. When people fall over themselves to get there...AND are willing to pay more to not have to deal with the other people attending...who on earth is Disney under obligations to “court”?? It’s bad business.
What’s interesting about this recession is that despite the economic concerns, the “people” need and want an escape from Covid. As a result, they are flocking to universal, wdw, etc. So, as far as the bobs are concerned, they just need to cut costs and blame covid. The reality won’t set in until after the election. Then everyone’s assumptions will either fade or come true.

TrainsOfDisney

I was referring to the fact that most people are “uncultured.” How many people do you know that appreciate medium rare steak, an orchestra, or straight bourbon? I would guess very few.

The bobs know this, and, as a result, have built a business that speaks to everyone.
Ah ok. I don’t agree. I think many people appreciate the orchestra, and the dining available at the Grand.

tirian

I was referring to the fact that most people are “uncultured.” How many people do you know that appreciate medium rare steak, an orchestra, or straight bourbon? I would guess very few.

The bobs know this, and, as a result, have built a business that speaks to everyone.
Since those three things don’t necessarily go together, and since the band was an integral part of the GF for decades, I don’t understand why anyone would try to excuse this obviously bad decision.

DVCakaCarlF

Ah ok. I don’t agree. I think many people appreciate the orchestra, and the dining available at the Grand.
I do, you do, and all the people on this forum do, but I would argue Karen from Ohio doesn’t give two s because she paid for a four day park hopper and, dammit, she’s going to be in that park all day long. She cut binders of coupons for this trip, and she be damned to miss her fast pass for dumbo over some orchestra.

I literally have family like this....they see no point of the resorts.

Notes from Neverland

I am a pixie duster so it takes a lot for me to say this. What, exactly, is the point of staying at GF these days? The rooms aren’t great and the Poly ans bay lake are more convenient
That thought is precisely why we haven't. The location is great if you're planning a lot of MK time, but the resort itself - especially the rooms when you compare those to say the Yacht Club - leave a lot to be desired.

DVCakaCarlF

Since those three things don’t necessarily go together, and since the band was an integral part of the GF for decades, I don’t understand why anyone would try to excuse this obviously bad decision.
Not an excuse, but an observation. I fell in love the first time I stepped into the GF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom