News Goodbye to The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Source? I keep hearing how crowded Studios is everyday.
I might guess that studios has a lower cap. Their ride capacity still sucks.

The big attention is that the boarding groups for attack of the abrams is filling up as usual. But that ride has near zero capacity right now.

The Booked days if you look at the calendar are weekends...upon quick review

SoFloMagic

Source? I keep hearing how crowded Studios is everyday.
Studios is crowded for the first hour of weekdays, while people try for boarding groups and try to figure out what to do. Then by 11:30 or so, it's fine. 20-30 for startours and midway mania, 30-40 for tower and rockin Rollercoaster... You get the picture. A Lil over an hour for runaway railway and slink.
It has no shows, which is where they usually hide half the crowds. But still, not busy, save for the first hour of weekdays (and kinda all morning and early afternoon on weekends)

TrainsOfDisney

Studios is crowded for the first hour of weekdays, while people try for boarding groups and try to figure out what to do. Then by 11:30 or so, it's fine. 20-30 for startours and midway mania, 30-40 for tower and rockin Rollercoaster... You get the picture. A Lil over an hour for runaway railway and slink.
It has no shows, which is where they usually hide half the crowds. But still, not busy, save for the first hour of weekdays (and kinda all morning and early afternoon on weekends)
I see. It’s hard to tell which blog posts / trip reports to believe. “Busy” and “Empty” can have a few different definitions.

Either way, this seems like an odd choice. #1 your cutting 32 year veterans of the company. That’s bad for employee moral.

#2 your cutting the only live music show currently available at the park. (All of the other Parks currently have live music).

#3 your going to let a theatre sit empty with a “closed” sign on it... that’s bad show, especially in a park with several of those signs up on other theaters.

SoFloMagic

I see. It’s hard to tell which blog posts / trip reports to believe. “Busy” and “Empty” can have a few different definitions.
I hear you on that! First time I went to Hollywood studios we showed up before 10. By 1015, i told my girlfriend it was too busy and we should leave. We stayed, and around noon it had really thinned out a lot and we ended up having a great day.

The truth is, it's both busy and empty. It's a park with terrible crowd flow that's missing half of its capacity but is held to a crazy low cap. If everyone is in the streets or if a ride goes down it feels busy. If everyone is on a ride, it feels empty. You can take a photo of a packed park with lines extending into the street, then 30 minutes later tower of terror is nearly a walk on.

If you avoid the first hour and remember that wait times will double every 2 hours for cleaning, it's a fine experience

wannabeBelle

And with taking out the show in the BaTB Theatre, capacity goes down even more. Doesn't sound like the best idea to me, but what do I know?? Marie

Nmoody1

So pleased the entertainment company that is Disney are returning a DECADES old show with basic sets, boring choreography and fuzzy costumes. At the end of time, we will be left with the castle float and that God awful show!

techgeek

And with taking out the show in the BaTB Theatre, capacity goes down even more. Doesn't sound like the best idea to me, but what do I know?? Marie

@wdwmagic posted on the Studio's thread that the Frozen Sing-a-Long is scheduled to return (in modified form) starting the day after the orchestra wraps. So, seems like capacity has been 'shuffled' but not eliminated.

The orchestra was sadly not very well advertised within the park, and while it was on the app it was sort of 'hidden' in a sea of other "temporarily unavailable" entertainment offerings that are still listed. You pretty much had to know about it from word of mouth or stumble across it on your way down to Tower / Coaster. The Frozen show being in a more central and visible location will probably suck up more crowds. No reason why they couldn't have two shows though...

TrainsOfDisney

So pleased the entertainment company that is Disney are returning a DECADES old show with basic sets, boring choreography and fuzzy costumes. At the end of time, we will be left with the castle float and that God awful show!

Beauty and the Beast is not returning yet. The theatre will be going dark according to the orchestras FB.

CircusPeanuts

While it is a bummer to see any entertainment cut, I would recommend if you are bored to dig super deep into the WDWMAGIC archives to look at the posts about entertainment cuts after 9/11 and to a lesser extent after the 2008 recession. Entertainment was DECIMATED during those lean times and while many of the acts during those eras never came back, new and different ones did in many cases.

This too shall pass.

Animaniac93-98

I never thought I’d reach a breaking point, Disney, but this is peak pearl-clutching on my part. Really and truly. I’ve often spoken about putting your money where your mouth is and - COVID vaccine notwithstanding - I’m done with WDW. Until I’m not.

WDW is hardly the be all end all of Disney vacationing. At this point I'd say Disneyland in California isn't much better.

Spend time at Aulani, DCL, Tokyo Disney or even do a couple days at DLP after visiting elsewhere in Europe.

All of those are more rewarding experiences than a week in the WDW bubble.

Parker in NYC

WDW is hardly the be all end all of Disney vacationing. At this point I'd say Disneyland in California isn't much better.

Spend time at Aulani, DCL, Tokyo Disney or even do a couple days at DLP after visiting elsewhere in Europe.

Sorry, let me rephrase that. I’m done with Disney vacations for a long rear-end time.

TrainsOfDisney

Agreed. Up until last year Disneyland was much better, I’m not sure how that will be when they reopen. I also last visited right before the entertainment cuts came (horseshoe show, Pixar Orchestra, etc.).

What had kept me returning to WDW was the few live shows that I truly loved. Citizens, voices of Liberty, piano players in the parks and resorts, etc. also the Epcot festivals, arts and Holidays specifically, are extremely enjoyable because of the specialty entertainment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom