News Goodbye to The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra

techgeek

Never said they couldn’t return to the Grand. Just saying Disney never cared about that. The Orchestra was furloughed. Beauty and the Beast was supposed to come back. Equity never came to an agreement. So the Orchestra got pulled from furlough to put on a temporary show in the Theater of the Stars. Now Equity is back and Beauty and the Beast is returning and the Orchestra is getting laid off. It definitely sucks, but the way I see it is that the Grand wasn’t going to pay to bring them back but at least they had a temporary home at Studios for 2 months that they wouldn’t have had otherwise.

Do we have a confirmation somewhere that Beast is returning to the schedule, or at least recalling performers and starting rehearsals? The orchestra’s statement mentioned the stage will be ‘going dark’, which was an odd use of a phrase with specific ‘biz’ connotations if the venue would merely be in transition. Not that they have the whole picture, I’m sure.

Regardless, there are literally dozens of other shuttered venues they could have relocated a 6 piece band to at the moment, had they desired to. The timing unfortunately coincides with the sweeping labor changes we’ve been expecting at the start of fiscal 2021 on 10/1.

castlecake2.0

Do we know if they’re getting furloughed again or end of contract/terminated? There was rumours of GF lobby being refurbed so maybe they’re waiting to bring them or something similar back after that and attendance picks up?

TrainsOfDisney

Do we have a confirmation somewhere that Beast is returning to the schedule, or at least recalling performers and starting rehearsals? The orchestra’s statement mentioned the stage will be ‘going dark’, which was an odd use of a phrase with specific ‘biz’ connotations if the venue would merely be in transition. Not that they have the whole picture, I’m sure.

Regardless, there are literally dozens of other shuttered venues they could have relocated a 6 piece band to at the moment, had they desired to. The timing unfortunately coincides with the sweeping labor changes we’ve been expecting at the start of fiscal 2021 on 10/1.

I had hoped they would stick around somewhere through the holidays. I’m planning on visiting to say my goodbyes to voices of Liberty in November & December. I can’t imagine they will keep them and the Mariachi band on past their contracts and / or the new year.

Lilofan

I had hoped they would stick around somewhere through the holidays. I’m planning on visiting to say my goodbyes to voices of Liberty in November & December. I can’t imagine they will keep them and the Mariachi band on past their contracts and / or the new year.
Wow not the Mariachi band in Mexico. I think they have been there since Epcot opened. If the Voices of Liberty leave that would horrible.

Last edited:

Lilofan

DHS: - Daily Parade
- Mulch Sweat & Shears live band with equity host.
- double the cast of citizens of Hollywood
- Hollywood public works streetmosphere.

MK - night parade
- saxophone quartet
-pirate tutorial
-giggle gang & jugglers
- push trashcan
- banjo brothers & bob
- fantasyland historians
-Merlin show
- muppets history

DAK - daily parade
- band in Africa
- jugglers in dino land
- lucky the dino
- acrobats in Asia

Epcot -
- All entertainment in future world except for jammitors. From dreamfinder, jugglers in wonders of life, statues by fountain, muppet labs etc. there have been a number of past entertainment in future world.
- world showcase players (there used to be 2 casts, one in England, one in Italy).
- off kilter
- mo rockin
- Magician in pub
- Fife & drum
- candy art in Japan.

Some things overlap and some things were replaced with non-equity performers or seasonal entertainment. But that’s the list I could think of from memory.
I think the drummers from Japan also.

techgeek

Those are the two acts on property that I had always assumed were untouchable. They are the soul of an EPCOT that has not existed for a long time...

wishiwere@wdw

Not boasting... in fact, I’d like to think our family is quite humble; if not blessed. And as such, Disney has certainly gotten a chunk of our hard earned $$$ over the years. We were all in- DVC at BLT, P+ Annual Passes, tables in wonderland, etc. we live nearby and would constantly do staycations along with many trips throughout the week and month. Covid aside, I firmly believe you could feel this building. Even dating back to Off Kilter being let go they were cutting equity as deep as they could. You felt it at the resorts where your “5 star” stay was anything but. We LOVE the orchestra. Honestly, it was the main heart and soul of that lobby much in the same way, as quirky as he is, Bob Jackson was at port orleans. Each and every item taken away has been noticed. Whether it be in the room, guest service, food quality, entertainment, resort amenities, I could go on and on. This was BEFORE the pandemic. You’d seriously think they’d want to do things to encourage us to return!! I’m so sorry to the so many that have been affected and I sincerely hope this company wakes the heck up and realizes just how bad they’re screwing this up.

dothebrdwalk

Disneyland did something similar years ago with their Marching Band. After all of these years, these guys get "too expensive" for Disney (LOL) and maybe Disney is going to have to put them on the "back burner" for a few for whatever reason,(whether lobby refurbishment or something else) so it's easier to just fire instead of furlough or keep on payroll and best case scenario in Disney's eyes, they can switch them out for people who will do it cheaper. Not saying it's right, not justifying it by any means, but it's just business.

TrainsOfDisney

Disneyland did something similar years ago with their Marching Band. After all of these years, these guys get "too expensive" for Disney (LOL) and maybe Disney is going to have to put them on the "back burner" for a few for whatever reason,(whether lobby refurbishment or something else) so it's easier to just fire instead of furlough or keep on payroll and best case scenario in Disney's eyes, they can switch them out for people who will do it cheaper. Not saying it's right, not justifying it by any means, but it's just business.

How is replacing a live band with a live band similar to laying off a band with no replacement?

aladdin2007

well if the hotel becomes the princess suites. like has been rumored, why would they need the orchestra there anymore, Disney is undoing everything that made it Disney and Disney World. Piece by piece, location by location. It has to be IP or nothing, and in terms of the hotels generic or nothing. its very sad.

BoarderPhreak

i.php

i.php
i.php

wishiwere@wdw

I sincerely do love your optimism and appreciate it but they’ve been trimming the equity ranks for some time now in favor of outside acts (cheaper). I get it that it works in some circumstances but tried and true staples of the resort (orchestra, VOL, etc) really should have been left as is or improved upon. That all said, I hope you’re right 😀

Jrb1979

I don't see them coming back. They have been cutting these type of things since the Bob's took over. Remember the fearless leader did say that the CM'S are the entertainment.

wannabeBelle

Do we know if they’re getting furloughed again or end of contract/terminated? There was rumours of GF lobby being refurbed so maybe they’re waiting to bring them or something similar back after that and attendance picks up?
Ah the million dollar question, which came first the chicken or the egg. Will they need to increase offerings including Live Entertainment to entice visitors back or will visitors return hoping to see the acts and things they found special and encourage Disney to increase it's offerings? I think the answer varies from person to person however this is not encouraging to me to visit. Thankfully I do have friends who are musicians and worked for Disney in some capacities that I can call on to find out where they are playing when I do come into town. I hear Ole Red will be jumping this Tuesday for anyone who is interested!!! Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom