News Goodbye to The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra

wdwfan22

Original Poster
Taken from their facebook page

It’s hard to find the words but, sadly, our days at the Grand Floridian are over. In fact, as of Oct 3, 2020, our days at WDW will come to an end as well.
The company brought us out of furlough, changed our name to “The Disney Society Orchestra,” closed us out of the GF to play a show of Disney themed show tunes at the Theater of the Stars in Hollywood Studios. We’ve been playing 9 shows a day, 7 days a week since Aug 2nd. The music is a far cry from the closely knit harmonies & sounds we became known for at the GF but. the guys are real pros and they sound great!
Well... Two weeks ago we got notice that the theater is going dark and our last day of work will be Saturday, Oct 3, 2020. As we all know, these are very uncertain times and can’t say what will happen from one day to the next.
So after 32 years of playing together and playing music we love... we’re done. We are so thankful for the opportunity to play in a beautiful setting for the hotel guests and friends we have met & made over the years. We’ll never forget you and how wonderful you’ve made us feel. We will miss you!
Thank you-thank you- thank you!

YodaMan

While sad, this is merely timed to the Equity performers returning to their shows at the start of the fiscal year. It’s sad that Disney couldn’t find a place for them at the Grand or somewhere else, but at least they were able to play for 2 more months than they would have been able to play if Equity had come back sooner.

mm52200

While sad, this is merely timed to the Equity performers returning to their shows at the start of the fiscal year. It’s sad that Disney couldn’t find a place for them at the Grand or somewhere else, but at least they were able to play for 2 more months than they would have been able to play if Equity had come back sooner.
Nothing is replacing their show. Literally no reason they couldn’t return to the Grand somewhere.

Thelazer

Nothing is replacing their show. Literally no reason they couldn’t return to the Grand somewhere.

Oh you know the reason... there is one... and it's all about $$$$$$

This pandemic should just about put out to rest anyone who had any little hope left of Disney being anything
other than a giant big uncaring machine. CM's who still post "Thank you for the time I spend.." nope, sorry guys.

Disney didn't stand by you, they made MILLIONS ER BILLIONS, over the years..and now when push comes to shove.. out the door you go.

Sad indeed.. but please don't give the "We thank the company for the opportunity" out.

Disney / Universal etc.. does not deserve the thanks.

castlecake2.0

My friends and I were discussing how over the years the resorts seem to have become nothing more than a place to sleep. Guests seem to feel if they don’t spend their day at the parks from EMH open to EMH close then they’re losing out, and with that came the decline of the resort experience at the resorts. People stopped taking time to come back to the room to refresh, put on their evening resort attire, and go for a nice dinner and cocktail. I think of the Polynesian second floor, and how over the last decade it’s just become a mob of over tired sweaty families all over the place waiting for their table at ohana after being in a park since 7am. Hardly anyone looking relaxed or refreshed for the evening. Same with grand Floridian, the band was great but I feel like their audience was dwindling. But who’s to blame, Disney or the guests? Who was leading this change in vacation dynamic? Also I feel a missed opportunity was to leave the band where it was and add a couple cocktail servers in the lobby, would have been an easy way to monetize the entertainment offering and add some energy to the lobby area. That was a lot of rambling thanks for reading.

TrainsOfDisney

Just another notch in the entertainment slashing belt. I’d love to a see a list of all the entertainment offerings that have been cut in the last 5-10 years.

Then again, no I don’t...it would just make me sad.

DHS: - Daily Parade
- Mulch Sweat & Shears live band with equity host.
- double the cast of citizens of Hollywood
- Hollywood public works streetmosphere.

MK - night parade
- saxophone quartet
-pirate tutorial
-giggle gang & jugglers
- push trashcan
- banjo brothers & bob
- fantasyland historians
-Merlin show
- muppets history

DAK - daily parade
- band in Africa
- jugglers in dino land
- lucky the dino
- acrobats in Asia

Epcot -
- All entertainment in future world except for jammitors. From dreamfinder, jugglers in wonders of life, statues by fountain, muppet labs etc. there have been a number of past entertainment in future world.
- world showcase players (there used to be 2 casts, one in England, one in Italy).
- off kilter
- mo rockin
- Magician in pub
- Fife & drum
- candy art in Japan.

Some things overlap and some things were replaced with non-equity performers or seasonal entertainment. But that’s the list I could think of from memory.

Mouse Trap

You would think with Josh now in charge, they would continue to maintain the “nostalgia.”

People really need to get over the idea that he’s some hero here to save Disney. At the end of the day he has a job to do and a boss to answer to. He seems like a great guy, but he’s gotta do what he’s gotta do to appease shareholders, his boss, etc. or he’ll be looking for another job too.

YodaMan

Never said they couldn’t return to the Grand. Just saying Disney never cared about that. The Orchestra was furloughed. Beauty and the Beast was supposed to come back. Equity never came to an agreement. So the Orchestra got pulled from furlough to put on a temporary show in the Theater of the Stars. Now Equity is back and Beauty and the Beast is returning and the Orchestra is getting laid off. It definitely sucks, but the way I see it is that the Grand wasn’t going to pay to bring them back but at least they had a temporary home at Studios for 2 months that they wouldn’t have had otherwise.

TrainsOfDisney

I heard a rumbling from an equity performer this week that he wouldn’t be returning to Disney. I’m thinking the orchestra was just 1 of many who are being laid off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom