Good iPhone Apps for the Parks?

cjgren

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster (how often is that heard?).

I'll be heading back to the parks for the first time since 2003, this time on my own, 21+, and with friends as opposed to family. My question is what are the best iPhone apps for at the parks?

I know Disney released official apps for Verizon customers only and can only hope they'd be released by the time my trip comes in November, but I don't think it'll happen. :rolleyes:

DisneyparkFreak

There are not really any good Apps for iPhone. However I do use touringplans.com. Just save it as a favorite on your homescreen. I paid for the 1-yr subscription, never had an issue with it. You can also use the mobile version of this site and waltdisneyworld.com.

Personally dont spend your money on apps.

Upvote 0

muteki

The Undercover Tourist Disney World app was on sale for free a couple days ago, unfortunately now it is back to the original price of 4$. It has menus and wait times, the accuracy of which I have not tested.

There are others that interest me but I am holding out for an app that included DDP snacks on the menus before I purchase one.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I'll be heading back to the parks for the first time since 2003, this time on my own, 21+, and with friends as opposed to family. My question is what are the best iPhone apps for at the parks?

I know Disney released official apps for Verizon customers only and can only hope they'd be released by the time my trip comes in November, but I don't think it'll happen. :rolleyes:

It'snot going to happen.

The 'offical' Disney apps are only on the Verizon network. It's an exclusive deal between Vz and Disney. And I think that it's pretty sweet that DIS is now tracked on the stock crawl in our corporate cafeteria.

-dave

Upvote 0
There should be a Hidden Mickey App! :king:

There is a Hidden Mickey app! It is not free, but it is fun. You "click" when you find it and it keeps score of how many you find. It is the one from Steve Barrett. I also like the Undercover Tourist app. I like the menus and restaurant part. I have not checked the validity of the wait times yet. It has great maps and graphics, I think it is worth it myself, but luckily I got it the one day when it was free:)
You also might like Lou Mongello's Audio guides. I think there are 3 of them as of now. You can download them right to your iphone. They are awesome! Any Disney fan would learn something from them.

Upvote 0

bhg469

Someone needs to develop a browser friendly site or a google maps layer or add on. Unfortunately the iphones google maps is nowhere near as good as it could be but that has nothing to do with the hardware, thats sith lord jobs i'm sure. One of the many reasons I didn't stick with my iphone.

There are a handfull of them on android market but like I said in another thread i am completely against applications designed around one platform that could really be made for everyone through a page. With IOS, blackberry OS, android, windows mobile and symbian in existence the only thing they all do nicely is scale a website to a small screen.

Like phonedave said the only disney apps are on Verizon's network. Sadly verizon's existing application can only be used on dumb phones... Someone tell me what is the point of that?!

On a side note a hidden mickey AR (augmented reality) application would be insane but that would be a disney sized undertaking.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Notescast has some good information apps, with walking tours. Upinpoint has good maps. The Undercover Tourist app is excellent with maps, dining info, wait times, etc...

"good" is in the eye of the beholder though, an experienced park-goer probably would rarely use any of the maps (great for finding the nearest bathroom in an emergency though).

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

You can access the entire WDWMAGIC site (news, reviews, photos, dining menus, tips, forums) at http://mobile.wdwmagic.com

We also have an iPhone app at http://www.wdwmagic.com/what2ride.htm

Upvote 0

NORMNB8S

I have the upinpoint maps, the undercover tourist app, the WDW Dining app, a notecast app about Disney secrets, and the Disney.com app. They're fun to mess around with. I especially enjoy the undercover tourist app because I like to see what the wait times are on attractions throughout the day. I havn't had a chance to check the accuracy of the times though. Like other people have said though, if you're knowledgable about Disney parks, the apps really won't be much use to you other than "just for fun" like I use them for. I would like to try the hidden Mickey app on my next trip though.

Upvote 0

nolatron

In my experience, the apps for "Wait times" are useless because they are never accurate. Most of them are dependent on user input for information. TouringPlans supposedly uses historical data, but that still doesn't mean it's accurate.

Closes you'll get to get "real-time" info direct from Disney is their mobile site:

http://m.disneyworld.go.com/

It'll give you generalized wait times (short, moderate, long) rather than exact times, but if you're not on Verizon its the closest you get to official info.

The only Disney app I use a regular basis while on vacation is the "WDW Dining" app. I also have the uPinpoint maps app, but I don't think I really use it much. Just handy to have I guess.

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

I have 3 WDW apps on my iPhone right now
"Park Hours"
"Wait Times"
"Undercover Tourist"

The first two I was able to use last month while I was there. "Park Hours" was excellent---we could see all the parks hours, EMH, and parade and firework times. They also have all the shows in World Showcase and their times listed as well as show times in the AK. Wonderful tool!

"Wait times" was fairly accurate, nothing we'd base our day on, like others said, it's user generated. It was just fun to play around with once we got in line. I did have some trouble with it accepting my time updates.

"Undercover Tourist" was free last week, so I downloaded it, but haven't gotten to use it in the park yet, but it looks awesome. It has park hours, wait times, a place to take a picture of the back of your ticket and store it for safe keeping, full menus with prices (which is awesome for deciding where to eat!), phone numbers of all the resturants, park maps with an area for turning on/off which features you want to see displayed on the map (age filters for rides, fastpass, resturants, smoking areas, etc), a way to see which rides/resturants are closest to you, a place to store favorites (with a way to "check off" what you've done), a place to plan your trip and save your itenerary, and a simple "memory" game to play while in line.

Lots of features---I got it for free---but it almost makes the $3-$4 that the app may be worth it.

My fiance also has the "uPinPoint" Disney maps---it's all 4 parks, water parks, DTD, and a few hotels. Its nice for the amount of maps it has, but I still think the Undercover Tourist app is more comprehensive. This app does have resturant menus, but it links you to allearsnet for them.

------
I'd love to hear reviews on the official Hidden Mickey app. I so wanted to buy it, but it seemed expensive for what it was. Was all the HM's from the book in the app? Is there pictures of them if you can't find them? I submit it as my "wish" to Free App A Day all the time, but it hasn't come up yet!

Upvote 0

erinshaneb

They have two versions of undercover tourist..one for 3.99 and one for free..i chose the lite version for now..I will play with it the next couple of days and see if I like it..if i do i can always purchase the full throttle version..lol..also the great thing about Iphones..i can do it while standing in line..ha ha ha

Upvote 0

Funfy

We have the WDW Dining app which is great and was able to put in my reservations and times. Also have the WDW secrets, WDW times, WDW Mickeys and DAK Mickeys. They are all fun and think they were relatively cheap. Enjoy! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Stevek

I've used RideHopper Lite (free) for out here at Disneyland and it is usually pretty accurate but like others, depends on users to input the wait times. Not sure if it's available for iPhone as I'm a Droid user.

I know it does have WDW parks as well as I just added those for our trip in Novembers.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom