Good board game recommendations

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
So the Christmas shopping season is in full swing, lol of course it starts in September now but that's beside the point.
I'm looking for a good board game to buy as a family gift. we have the classics like monoply, clue, scrabble and risk. Anyone have favorites that their families play.

TIA

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Anything Disney themed is enjoyed at our house.
We love Disney Apple to Apples and Disney Headbands.
We always play Disney Headbands at my sister's on Thanksgiving and its hilarious when we've all had something to drink.

Stripes

If you have a Disney family, Villainous is fun. A gorgeous too. The only trouble is it is difficult to understand/explain. If you have an elderly member of the family that plays games, there's a good chance they won't understand it even after watching it being played.

3139.jpg

trr1

trouble is one our family likes we are on our 3rd board because we wore out the pop-o-matic bubble, trivial pursuit(Disney version) is another

Timmay

Try Ticket To Ride. As a huge board gamer myself...owning over a hundred...this should be a great starting point if you want to move to things other than what you mentioned. Also, if you have any trouble understanding rules for any board game, YouTube has wonderful walkthroughs for just about every board game.

Here is a decent list of what are called gateway games...kind of a step up from monopoly.

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

Try Ticket To Ride. As a huge board gamer myself...owning over a hundred...this should be a great starting point if you want to move to things other than what you mentioned. Also, if you have any trouble understanding rules for any board game, YouTube has wonderful walkthroughs for just about every board game.

Here is a decent list of what are called gateway games...kind of a step up from monopoly.

My family has tried Ticket to Ride, and absolutely love it. They say it looks complicated, but it is not, and it IS addictive. I haven't tried it yet though. We like Sequence and more recently, Shut the Box. Target has that one.

Songbird76

We always loved Balderdash. And Cranium. My son loves Settlers of Catan. I'm not much into board games myself...I prefer putting puzzles together.

There's a card game that I like to play with my son....I'll have to look up the name in English. It's cool because it's a short game, so you can play several times in a small span of time....it's great for children. Apparently the English name is "Spot it".

trr1

We always loved Balderdash. And Cranium. My son loves Settlers of Catan. I'm not much into board games myself...I prefer putting puzzles together.

There's a card game that I like to play with my son....I'll have to look up the name in English. It's cool because it's a short game, so you can play several times in a small span of time....it's great for children. Apparently the English name is "Spot it".
I thought you were going to say 52 pickup

Songbird76

I thought you were going to say 52 pickup
That would so not go over well with my son!!! Spot it is a short card game....round cards with little drawings on them. Every card has a matching drawing with one on every card. You have to find which drawing matches and put it down on the stack. You keep going until someone is out of cards. We used to play it at the end of his therapy sessions and he loved it so much we bought it so we could play it at home, too. We played a couple of rounds today.

The_Jobu

Twilight Struggle!

Admittedly, its pretty complicated with a learning curve, not best for family fun night, but I adore it. Now they have a digital version so I can play with strangers when my family gets tired of playing with me (which is often).

I also got the Blockbuster Video game for Christmas which I enjoy. But that might just be because I used to manage a Blockbuster...

JacobMorrisonL

Of the good board games, I can recommend Backgammon to you. A wonderful game that I played when I was on a visit from the embassy to Armenia. A beautiful country with a great history. They taught me how to play backgammon there. I admit that I liked the game even more than conventional chess. But backgammon is not so easy to get in America, so I can recommend card games for the phone. For example, a card game on Dungeons and Dragons. Not bad. And the magic that is clearly described here: https://dndguide.net/ in general, it came out almost one - on-one with the original.

Last edited:

ArmoredRodent

-> more votes for Ticket to Ride (which can also be played jointly on a variety of electronic devices), and Catan.
And, it's not a board game, but there's an interesting card game called "Taco v Burrito" you might look at.

The Mom

Premium Member
We have been playing the game Blank Slate at family reunions. The players have been ages 6+ to pretty old..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom