Golfing at the World

LilWalt

Original Poster
This trip (Feb 26-March 4) I will finally get to play golf at WDW. I have wanted to since my first trip in 2000. I am trying to decide what is easier and/or better, bring my clubs or rent clubs when I get there?
Has anyone played there and what did you do and what do you recommend?

Dr.GrantSeeker

I am a huge fan of golfing around Disney World! I am actually headed down next weekend for an annual Disney golf outing with some friends! I personally do not like playing with rented clubs, the rental sets they give you are actually decent sets. But I am just more comfortable golfing with my own clubs. To each their own.

We actually just fly our clubs down....Put them in our golf club travel bags, put DME luggage tags on them and watch them arrive at the resort. We carry-on small suitcases for everything else. Depending on how long we go for, we will put all of our golf clothes in plastic bags then stuff those inside our golf travel bags to maximize space if it is a longer trip.

When traveling to the golf courses, just make sure you get a cab/uber that can take your clubs. Unless of course you rent a vehicle for your trip (we always do for our golf trips)...

I've golfed Palm and Mag many times both are great courses!

Enjoy your trip!! :):D

LilWalt

Original Poster
Thanks. We are only playing 9 holes at Mag but still super excited about it. We are driving in from Louisiana so it is more of a getting them to or from the course.

L.C. Clench

I am a huge fan of golfing around Disney World! I am actually headed down next weekend for an annual Disney golf outing with some friends! I personally do not like playing with rented clubs, the rental sets they give you are actually decent sets. But I am just more comfortable golfing with my own clubs. To each their own.

We actually just fly our clubs down....Put them in our golf club travel bags, put DME luggage tags on them and watch them arrive at the resort. We carry-on small suitcases for everything else. Depending on how long we go for, we will put all of our golf clothes in plastic bags then stuff those inside our golf travel bags to maximize space if it is a longer trip.

When traveling to the golf courses, just make sure you get a cab/uber that can take your clubs. Unless of course you rent a vehicle for your trip (we always do for our golf trips)...

I've golfed Palm and Mag many times both are great courses!

Enjoy your trip!! :):D

It's been a couple years since I've played golf at Disney but did they stop the complimentary transportation from the resorts to the courses?

pilka214

Renting, or bringing your own clubs is really personal preference. I for one HATE playing with other peoples clubs. Either way though your sure to have a great time, WDW's courses are very nice, challenging and quality. If you can pack your clubs without too much hassle i say it's worth it.

Dr.GrantSeeker

It's been a couple years since I've played golf at Disney but did they stop the complimentary transportation from the resorts to the courses?

No they did not. I am sorry about that. The past few times I've golfed down there have been at Tranquilo and other non-Disney courses. Where we need our own transportation. But I did golf at the Mag last year and they did comp us our cab ride to the course from the hotel

Retroman40

Just played Mag last week and it was in excellent condition. The recent rains could only have helped. Being local of course I use my own clubs but the rental sets I see look pretty decent.

Texas84

Look at the Disney Golf website. You can ship your clubs directly to the course.
http://golfwdw.com/shipsticks/

The service is terrific, very professional. My problem was, am I supposed to tip all these people? And how much? There is also a food/drink cart running around with a nice selection and they take plastic.

I've played LBV and Palm. Palm was too tough for me with their elevated greens and I'm an 8 handicap.

I love LBV, friendly course even with all of the water. Great views winding through OKW and Saratoga.

21stamps

Sorry to piggyback off of this.. but has anyone done a golf lesson there? We were signed up but I ended up canceling due to time constraints. Would love to hear someone's experience with it.

Regarding the clubs, I was told (on the phone, by Disneylol) that their rentals were really good, so I didn't bring ours. However, take that with a grain of salt- I hate golf. My kiddo is a fanatic. But a 6 year old may not be as picky about using rentals as an adult would be.

L.C. Clench

No they did not. I am sorry about that. The past few times I've golfed down there have been at Tranquilo and other non-Disney courses. Where we need our own transportation. But I did golf at the Mag last year and they did comp us our cab ride to the course from the hotel
Ok. The last time we played we left our clubs at bag check and they knew our tee time at the resort so they let us know our cab was there and already had the clubs loaded for us when we got down to the lobby.

Dr.GrantSeeker

The service is terrific, very professional. My problem was, am I supposed to tip all these people? And how much? There is also a food/drink cart running around with a nice selection and they take plastic.

Last time I played, the beverage cart was stationary. The starter collecting our tickets at the first tee said they don't drive around anymore. This is because the f&b cart slows down game play. I don't know if this has since changed.

With that being said...

While the service is very good at Disney courses, my only complaint is that we always feel we are being rushed through our round of golf. We aren't by any means beginner golfers. Just enjoy taking our time and being on vacation....but the rangers always seem to be telling us that we are playing to slow and if we don't pick up the pace we have to get off :mad: anyone else have this problem on Disney courses. I've golfed a lot of the courses around Disney and never had anyone pushing the pace of our round like I've had happen to me on property.

L.C. Clench

Last time I played, the beverage cart was stationary. The starter collecting our tickets at the first tee said they don't drive around anymore. This is because the f&b cart slows down game play. I don't know if this has since changed.

With that being said...

While the service is very good at Disney courses, my only complaint is that we always feel we are being rushed through our round of golf. We aren't by any means beginner golfers. Just enjoy taking our time and being on vacation....but the rangers always seem to be telling us that we are playing to slow and if we don't pick up the pace we have to get off :mad: anyone else have this problem on Disney courses. I've golfed a lot of the courses around Disney and never had anyone pushing the pace of our round like I've had happen to me on property.
Only at Mag. We've played LBV more and outside of the starter I'm not sure we've ever seen a ranger on the course. When we played Mag they gave us an expected pace of play and there was a ranger that rode around and watched everyone. He never said anything to us but he did tell the group in front of us that they didn't have to putt out which I thought was kind of uncalled for. For the price people pay if they want to sink the putt let them.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Well we are not the greatest golfers but I really don't want to feel like I didn't enjoy my round. I may just bring mine to be safe.

If you are driving and have room in your vehicle for your clubs I'd bring them! One of the things I love about the Palm and Mag is that you can hear the train and boat horns in the distance. Its not loud enough to be distracting, but totally reminds you of where you are!

homerdance

The last time i golf in the world i rented clubs, and I would again. It wasn't a golf trip for me, i golfed one of the days, so the majority of our trip was for the parks, so i couldn't justify taking up that much space just for my clubs. If you are only going to golf, bring your own, if you are a very casual golfer, i say rent.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Only at Mag. We've played LBV more and outside of the starter I'm not sure we've ever seen a ranger on the course. When we played Mag they gave us an expected pace of play and there was a ranger that rode around and watched everyone. He never said anything to us but he did tell the group in front of us that they didn't have to putt out which I thought was kind of uncalled for. For the price people pay if they want to sink the putt let them.
It may have been that we were golfing during a busier time of year maybe? Who knows...

Still love Disney golfing though, its a blast. I've never golfed LBV. Its on my list

LilWalt

Original Poster
I will only play 9 holes while I'm there so I don't know really bringing my own is worth it.

I am looking forward to the Disney touches on the course.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
My husband is picky on his clubs, but he was pleased with the rentals at WDW. He has golfed both the Mag and LBV and likes them both, but he did like seeing the Mickey sandtrap at the Mag. He also likes to go when the course first opens for the sunrise 9 special. I don't know if that is at the Mag, I only remember him talking about it in junction with Lake Buena Vista.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom