Golden Oak at Walt Disney World?

WDW Vacationer

Original Poster
An interesting article by Jim Hill says that Disney may be bringing filming back to the resort. The article also suggests that the rumored project could be somehow tied in to the Four Seasons. The rumour is based off of domain names Disney has filed. There is a chance that it may not involve filming,as some domains include the terms "Resident, Community, Estate, Sales, Brochure, and Realty". (Thanks Exprcoofto)

Do you recall how – back in October of last year -- The Walt Disney Company announced that it planned to build a brand-new production facility out at Golden Oak Ranch in the Santa Clarita Valley?
Well, based on a series of domain names that the Mouse registered late last month, it initially appeared that Mickey might have a similar sort of project in the works for The Walt Disney World Resort.
Don’t believe me? Okay, then let’s check out the names that The Walt Disney Company registered back on January 22nd & 23rd:
  • DISNEYGOLDENOAK.COM
  • GOLDENOAKDISNEY.COM
  • GOLDENOAKSDISNEY.COM
  • GOLDENOAKATDISNEY.COM
  • GOLDENOAKSATDISNEY.COM
  • GOLDENOAKATWALTDISNEYWORLD.COM
  • GOLDENOAKATWALTDISNEYWORLDRESORT.COM
  • GOLDENOAKSATWALTDISNEYWORLD.COM
  • GOLDENOAKSATWALTDISNEYWORLDRESORT.COM
And given that several of these recently registered domain names said …
  • GOLDENOAKORLANDO.COM
  • GOLDENOAKSORLANDO.COM
  • GOLDENOAKFLORIDA.COM
… it intially appeared as though the Studio's expansion project suddenly had a Florida-based component.
golden-oak-ranch-web.jpg

Copyright Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved

“So does this mean that the Company's going to start shooting films again at Disney's Hollywood Studios?,” you ask.To be honest, no. For if you take a gander at some of the other Golden Oaks-related names that Mickey’s attorneys recently grabbed:
  • GOLDENOAKESTATE.COM
  • GOLDENOAKSCOMMUNITY.COM
  • GOLDENOAKDISNEYCOMMUNITY.COM
  • GOLDENOAKRESIDENTS.COM
One has to assume that TV production & movie making will NOT be the main focus of Florida's Golden Oak / Oaks project. Indeed, when you check out the next four domain names that Disney registered ...

• GOLDENOAKREALTYLLC.COM
  • GOLDENOAKSALES.COM
  • DISNEYGOLDENOAKSALES.COM
  • GOLDENOAKBROCHURE.COM
... doesn’t this sound like The Walt Disney Company is getting back into the real estate game in the Sunshine State?
Well, as it turns out, Disney is. But in a very limited way. According to Mouse House insiders that I spoke with over this past weekend, Golden Oak / Oaks is the name that the Mouse & Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts have tentatively chosen for that teeny-tiny gated community which will be built as part of the luxury hotel complex that's currently under construction on WDW property.
why-for-four-season-land-we.jpg

Copyright Disney / Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts, Inc. All Rights Reserved

And when I say "tiny," I mean "tiny." The Four Seasons reportedly plans on building only 30 - 50 private homes as part of its Disney World project. And given that these houses will be located right alongside an 18-hole golf course, they're expected to sell for upwards of seven figures.

Now please keep in mind that just because The Walt Disney Company has registered a dozen or more domain names related to Golden Oaks & Florida doesn’t mean this Four Seasons residential development will actually wind up being called Golden Oak / Oaks. These things are subject to change without notice.
Meanwhile -- out in Newhall, CA -- Disney's plans to build upwards 12 new sound stages at Golden Oak Ranch are slowly making their way through the approval process. In fact, the first official scoping meeting was held back on January 21st. And given that we're still basically in the public-commentary phase of this project ... Well, it could be a year or more before construction actually gets underway.
So -- in the long run -- it'll be interesting to see which Golden Oak opens first? The residential area at WDW's new Four Seasons Resort or the expanded production facility at Disney - ABC Studios at the Ranch?
Your thoughts?

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...y-to-grow-another-golden-oak-for-florida.aspx

Exprcoofto

An interesting article by Jim Hill says that Disney may be bringing filming back to the resort. The article also suggests that the rumored project could be somehow tied in to the Four Seasons. The rumour is based off of domain names Disney has filed.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...y-to-grow-another-golden-oak-for-florida.aspx

JH also said in the article a couple of times that it's safe to assume it wouldn't be for filming purposes, especially since the domains include "Resident, Community, Estate, Sales, Brochure, and Realty".

Ignohippo

Well, I'm more than a little annoyed that they used my house as the inspiration for the renderings of the house as Golden Oak, but I'll let it pass this time.:D

I'm personally completely against Disney selling land on property to outside interests. This is land that Dis will never get back and eventually they are going to run out of real estate. It may not be for 50 years, but eventually they will run out of room. I just hope they aren't being short-sided in selling all of the land they've been selling lately.

How cool would it be to have "Walt Disney World" as your address though!?

ryanduggers

Well, I'm more than a little annoyed that they used my house as the inspiration for the renderings of the house as Golden Oak, but I'll let it pass this time.:D

I'm personally completely against Disney selling land on property to outside interests. This is land that Dis will never get back and eventually they are going to run out of real estate. It may not be for 50 years, but eventually they will run out of room. I just hope they aren't being short-sided in selling all of the land they've been selling lately.

I guess you could ask George Lucas how it will feel. (my guess):)

slappy magoo

What I'd wonder is if this resort will pull out all the stops, or just SOME of the stops - in creating this luxury community?

Let's face it, to live on WDW property would be a dream come true for some Peter Pan Syndrome sufferers with black AmEx cards and/or a yen for living close to so many golf courses. Which puts the real estate at a premium already. SO are we talking McMansion living? Or something smaller and somewhat simpler. After all, there are some cities where a million dollars will get you not much more than a fairly decent 2BR, 1.5BA prewar with high ceilings and a nice view.

Korfar

I don't like this idea at all. I think Disney should have permenant property owners on WDW property. I think that will open many future problems. I am not a real estate laywer so I may be off base here but would seem that if people own property there they can come together and have a say in what happens around them. I sure this doesn't cause problems down the road but sure might. This is dissapointing news to say the least.

trr1

I don't like this idea at all. I think Disney should have permenant property owners on WDW property. I think that will open many future problems. I am not a real estate laywer so I may be off base here but would seem that if people own property there they can come together and have a say in what happens around them. I sure this doesn't cause problems down the road but sure might. This is dissapointing news to say the least.
there was something about this on this thread

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=598510

uklad79

The link to the Disney page says in all the text at the bottom that it is a Hyatt Timeshare. Where are people getting idea you can buy a house from?

zweltar

It would be SO COOL to have an address at Disney World. I mean, think about it!!!

Hmmm... My wife and I are looking for a house.... Too bad we're both teachers! :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

It would be SO COOL to have an address at Disney World. I mean, think about it!!!

Hmmm... My wife and I are looking for a house.... Too bad we're both teachers! :lol:
This development is not technically on Disney property. The area was deannexed from Reedy Creek when it was sold. It is no more on property then Celebration of the Housing developments on Reams road.

SwooshOU

I think it would be great fun to live on property.

Personally, it's not realistic for me for several reasons, not the least of which is financial. :)

Still, would just be awesome to live on property.

The fact that people will be living "on property" doesn't diminish anything about Walt Disney World, in my opinion.

Brian Noble

The area was deannexed from Reedy Creek when it was sold.
Not a surprise. The very last thing Mickey wants is some non-employee with voting rights in the District. He had to bamboozle a lot of people to get his own private government, and he wouldn't give it out to just any millionare who came along. ;)

floridabill

Question!!!

Yea this is something that I have been wondering myslef! So they can never get that land back?? and what about the four seasons land did they buy that?? or just sit on it?? that would mean disney sold 900 acres!! and you know they will sell the western way land which is like 450 acres! so they just sold off 1350 acres!!!!:mad::veryconfu:cry::shrug: that is not why walt purchased all that land! sham on them so i guess no more future developments! and i thought they were smart!!!

and on a side note i hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot with the western way development! they think they can't fill there rooms now, well I got a great idea lets bring in 3rd party lodging venues sounds great!! now lets go hang ourselves.

Thrill

Funny you mention that. I recall reading a report from Reedy Creek Improvement District that estimated that all land available for development on WDW property would be used up in 10 or 20 years. I can't remember which one it was, but either way, it's not good.

Tom

Beta Return
Funny you mention that. I recall reading a report from Reedy Creek Improvement District that estimated that all land available for development on WDW property would be used up in 10 or 20 years. I can't remember which one it was, but either way, it's not good.

Stuff like this scares me, and angers me. Walt and Roy bought all that land so that "there would be enough land to do anything they ever wanted." One might argue that since Walt really wanted to build a city of his own, these residential and commercial developments are in line with his plans - but I don't think his ACTUAL plan was to sell off the property to 3rd parties.

If you were to just glance at an aerial photograph of property, you'd think "Heck, they have PLENTY of land left." But that's not entirely true. While there are large portions of land scattered around property (some large enough to accommodate entire theme parks), they still can't develop everything you see.

Water management is a major issue for WDW, since they're sitting on a swamp with an obscenely high ground water table. For every square foot of concrete, asphalt or building they construct, they have to find somewhere to displace that water. Right now they're doing it all with canals and retention ponds, but you can only dump so much water into those waterways. Eventually you reach a point where you can't cover one more inch of your own land (since you can't displace water onto someone else's private property).

Since there aren't any new theme parks on the board, there's probably "plenty of land" but if they build one more park, that would pretty much max out the big chunks of land.

Selling off these large parcels for non-Disney stuff like 4-Seasons and Flamingo Whatever really makes me cringe....and I hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the a$$ someday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom