Trip Report Golden Girls do Disney!!!

What happens when you get 5 middle age gals who refuse to act their age?? The Golden Girls 2018!! LOL me and my girlfriends have been friends for over 35 years, we met in college when we all joined the same sorority (Go Sorors) and have stuck together through marriages, divorces, deaths, births of kids, loss of childrens, breast cancer chemo, fake and now menopause!! So twice a year we leave husbands, significant others and kids (4 live in Philly, 1 in Atlanta and 1 in Ohio) and act like 16 year olds. ;) . This year lil Sister Sheryl wanted to do a safari and since no one was going to Africa we decided to do the next best thing......ANIMAL KINGDOM kilmanjario safaris. Thank you DVC membership....
20170401_110044.jpg

I'm Eliza, the girl in the middle in red. this unfortunately was at the death of the 6th member of our merry band.

20170429_131808.jpg

fun with hats at our weekend in D.C.

nyc gals.jpg

NYC trip.

So, in 24 days we will be checking into the Animal kingdom lodge for 5 days of fun, frivolity and frolicing (with copious amounts of booze along the way. :p) I am the only one who's been to the world so I can't wait to show off my happy place.

Warning: this will be a happy trip report, yes I love the world and not ashamed of it. I've been accused of accepting "mediocracy" but it doesn't bother me. don't care that they have replaced the red head on POTC and we'll deal with the crowds as best we can.

I'll give the plans tomorrow, just wanted to drop in and say hi. My plan is to give a live report from arrival to departure and hope you'll come along for the ride.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Well woke up yesterday
20180321_182002.jpg
to the fourth Nor'easter in 3 weeks here in Philly. :arghh: On the 2nd day of spring no less. To say we are ready for Florida is an understatement. The powers to be must have had pity on me because my magic bands arrived yesterday also
20180320_210122.jpg

So that lifted our spirits a bit.
We are staying at Kidandi Village at Animal kingdom lodge. Have a 2 bedroom villa. It's our first time staying there, though I have had dinner at Boma before and visited AKL many times. If anyone has stayed there before, how's the pool (psst and the pool bar)?

We're arriving on Friday 4/13 , have the first plane out of PHL so we'll get to Orlando fairly early, like 9:30 in the morning. After picking up the rental, we should pull into the world around 11:00. not banking on our room being ready so the plan is to tour the resort and then head to Disney springs for lunch. Ok, here is my first dilemma, appreciate your thoughts.

As I said I'm the only one who's been to wdw so I know the routine with making adr's and such. Now usually when we travel its to places that normally one does not have to make reservations ahead of time, I definitely don't want the gang to feel regimented so I've only made 1 adr for a 4 night/ 5 day trip (Boma on arrival night) but was thinking of squeezing in maybe 1 or 2 more? Has anyone winged it at Disney springs??? Don't worry, I wouldn't try this in the parks but our arrival day is a non park day so I thought I may have more success. My concern is actually for Sunday which is our Epcot day. I'm thinking maybe having something for that night. We do like a good meal. Generally if I'm staying 7 or more days I don't mind going offsite but for short trips especially with newbies I'm thinking it may chew up a lot of time trying to go off site to eat. Opinions?

Anyhoo, our itinerary is
Friday.... we're here!!! hooray
Saturday.... Animal kingdom Wild Africa trek. fp for fop, kilamanjario safaris and can't remember the 3rd one. lol
Sunday.... Epcot. fp for soarin and Mission space
Monday.... Magic Kingdom. fp for POTC, Buzz lightyear and splash mtn.

We are celebrating one of the gals 5 year breast cancer free anniversary, so she's offically a survivor. Trying to think of something special to do for that.

Happy trails

krisri18

Kidani pool area is great! It's smaller than the Jambo pool but there's more shade, a better slide and overall we enjoyed it more!

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
We are celebrating one of the gals 5 year breast cancer free anniversary, so she's offically a survivor. Trying to think of something special to do for that.

One thing would be to get the "I'm Celebrating" button at Guest Services. And congratulations to your friend!! My sister is 28 years cancer free and my mom is currently undergoing treatment (medicine only, thank God).

Fankle

Sounds like it will be a great trip and not long to go now!

It's a difficult call whether to make a dinner reservation at EPCOT but I'd probably pick a few options from World Showcase, chat about them beforehand then make a reservation. Leaving your options open could give you more flexibility on the day, but you might find yourself just putting off a decision until when you're in the park and then finding no good availability. Sounds like an excuse to get everyone around for a pre-trip drink while you Skype the others to decide!

krisri18

Well if you started a ptr trip report
And invited everyone on this board
You would see the biggest “like” would come from me
And the reply attached would say
Thank you for being my (WDWMAGIC) friend

Following along

Max
Thanks for getting that stuck in my head Max! Lol

Minnesota disney fan

Following along, Golden Girls!!!
It is so special to have good friends like that for so many years, through thick and thin.

I am still good friends with the "girls" I went to grade school with,through high school. We have been friends for over 50 years and try to get together for a "girl trip" once a year. We are in our late 60's and just had our 50th high school reunion last year:)

So, I know what a treat it is to have good friends to travel with and have a fun time.
Will be following:)

LeighM

I'm totally following along! I would love to do something with my girl friends, who I've been friends with for close to 25 years (I'm 37 now) but everyone but me has young children. The ones without children don't want to leave their husbands LOL. I've been with mine for 15 years and I'm ready for a girls only trip :joyfull: My sister in law and I have discussed it though (our husbands are brothers). And speaking of her, I recently planned a trip for me, my husband, and them. I didn't plan that many ADRs this time because I didn't want too scheduled for them. I had Ohana (our requirement), lunch at Beaches and Cream (for me), Kona Cafe breakfast (my husband's request), and lunch at Be Our Guest (for the SIL). We did quick service everything else and used mobile ordering where available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom