Going to WDW w/o "Conveniences"

rodserling27

Original Poster
I'm two days away from my trip, and I've been inspired to rock it in a very old-fashioned way. I will not be bringing any "modern day" conenviences to the park. I came up with the idea while watching the Twilight Zone New Year's marathon on Syfy Channel. There's an episode called "A Stop at Willoughby" where a man longs for the "simpler" times without the headaches of modern day electronics and whatnot. I won't tell you the ending, go see it for yourself, it's a real twist! But I digress...I figured that there's no better place to rid myself of modern day things than Disney World. It's all about escapism anyway, isnt' it? I read somewhere that Jack White, of the band the White Stripes (among others), said that he doesn't like when people are so focused on taking a good picture of his band on stage that they lose sight (no pun intended) of what's important: enjoying the music. While you can disagree with this to an extent, I feel he's correct in that you should enjoy something to its fullest without worrying about "documenting" it or whatnot.

So, here is my personal list of "forbidden" items for this trip!
- No cell phone use while on property - I have ZERO reason to use a phone, except in the event of an emergency.
- No iPod or portable CD player - I would never use one in the parks, but I don't feel it's necessary on the plane ride down either. We'll see...
- No computer use
- No video camera use: I've got so much footage from my pervious two trips, and along with Mousebits and Martin's documentaries, I really don't need to bring one!
- No still camera use- this is the most "controversial" of my ideas. I decided that I have PLENTY of pictures of me in front of the Castle, with Mickey Mouse, etc, that I would rather soak-up and live in the present moment as much as possible without worrying about whether I can effectively "document" that moment. Besides, I will have the availability of Disney's PhotoPass should I decide to use pictures when I get back (and I"m sure my sister will take plenty of photos with HER camera :lol:)

What do you all think of this? Any more suggestions? Has anyone ever done something like this before?
I've been to WDW so many times, I think I'm at the point where I can start varying it up to change my experience, which is really the whole point of this. That's not to say that I'm "tired" or "sick" of doing it the way I usually do. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I suppose I'm just feeling a bit adventerous for this voyage. I hope that at this time next week I can look back and say, "That was a refreshing change of pace!"

sublimesting

I'm two days away from my trip, and I've been inspired to rock it in a very old-fashioned way. I will not be bringing any "modern day" conenviences to the park. I came up with the idea while watching the Twilight Zone New Year's marathon on Syfy Channel. There's an episode called "A Stop a Willoughby" where a man longs for the "simpler" times without the headaches of modern day electronics and whatnot. I won't tell you the ending, go see it for yourself, it's a real twist! But I digress...I figured that there's no better place to rid myself of modern day things than Disney World. It's all about escapism anyway, isnt' it? I read somewhere that Jack White, of the band the White Stripes (among others), said that he doesn't like when people are so focused on taking a good picture of his band on stage that they lose sight (no pun intended) of what's important: enjoying the music. While you can disagree with this to an extent, I feel he's correct in that you should enjoy something to its fullest without worrying about "documenting" it or whatnot.

So, here is my personal list of "forbidden" items for this trip!
- No cell phone use while on property - I have ZERO reason to use a phone, except in the event of an emergency.
- No iPod or portable CD player - I would never use one in the parks, but I don't feel it's necessary on the plane ride down either. We'll see...
- No computer use
- No video camera use: I've got so much footage from my pervious two trips, and along with Mousebits and Martin's documentaries, I really don't need to bring one!
- No still camera use- this is the most "controversial" of my ideas. I decided that I have PLENTY of pictures of me in front of the Castle, with Mickey Mouse, etc, that I would rather soak-up and live in the present moment as much as possible without worrying about whether I can effectively "document" that moment. Besides, I will have the availability of Disney's PhotoPass should I decide to use pictures when I get back (and I"m sure my sister will take plenty of photos with HER camera :lol:)

What do you all think of this? Any more suggestions? Has anyone ever done something like this before?
I've been to WDW so many times, I think I'm at the point where I can start varying it up to change my experience, which is really the whole point of this. That's not to say that I'm "tired" or "sick" of doing it the way I usually do. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I suppose I'm just feeling a bit adventerous for this voyage. I hope that at this time next week I can look back and say, "That was a refreshing change of pace!"

Yes, I would also eliminate the following modern conveniences:

water bottles
medicine such as aspirin
plastic of any kind
rubber soled shoes or any shoes for that matter
sunscreen
sunglasses
credit card
airflight
the wheel was a modern concept one time (that always makes me wonder where the Amish draw the line at shunning modern conveniences...what's their cut off point?)

If you want to get really old school you can also eliminate clothes!

sublimesting

This is so true actually. I do get very caught up in documenting what is happening so I never forget the memory. I have been known to use a camera and video camera simultaneously. It gets very stressful cause you worry about picstures so much.
Then again so often you really do see something very cool you'd love to photograph such as a sunset over the seven seas lagoon or something.

the-reason14

Good luck, and I respect you for doing that. Never really thought about doing this myself, but I have read a few good arguments here about why it's better to not have these new technologies interfering with the magic. Maybe one day, I can do the same thing. But it's whatever works for you, so have fun.

DisneyJoe

I rarely take a still photo, my wife does most of them, and I limit myself to smartphone use at night while everyone is in bed. (on second thought, we do some texting when we have a larger party and we split up)

I don't use anything else on your list.

It's very easy to do.

rodserling27

Original Poster
I rarely take a still photo, my wife does most of them, and I limit myself to smartphone use at night while everyone is in bed. (on second thought, we do some texting when we have a larger party and we split up)

I don't use anything else on your list.

It's very easy to do.
Glad to know I'm not the only one...I was feeling kind of silly there for a moment. Thanks!

I guess another part of it is that my friends and family always want me to send them picture message updates and cell phone videos when I'm on attractions. I just don't care to be bothered with all of that this time. So why not make it challenging and eliminate all of that stuff?

Oh and then they BEG me to put pictures and videos up on Facebook, ha ha! No thanks!!

Edit: I think it will also be liberating to get on an attraction, or get off one, and not have to think "Ok, do I have my phone? Do I have my camera? Let's make sure I didn't drop them." It's just a few less things to worry about. . .but then again I might be digging myself into a hole on this one

foreverbelle

Good for you. I know myself I rarely use my phone in the parks at all, and half the time leave it behind. As for computers and what not, again, your right. We use it as an excuse not to do work, as my husband would say, if I brought it I know people would think its ok to do work while on vacation. And this is NOT A WORKING VACATION. So leave it at home and eliminate that problem all together.

Best of luck on your quest. Have a fabulous vacation.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
havent taken the video for years, I think its use is too intrusive, I only take a camera on 1 visit (we go to each park twice). And even at work I do my best to leave my phone somewhere it doesnt put demands on me to answer it. On holiday it gets turned off as I drive away from work and goes back on the day I go back to work.

Having failed in my bid to run the world (to date at least) I havent found the need to own any device that many folk swear by especially fruit based products. Somehow Ive managed to survive.

jato4x4

Im just glad to know that I wasnt the only one watching the Twilight Zone marathon on the 1st. Also good luck, its not hard to go without personal technology once you get on property.

ddbowdoin

I guess the cell phone comes in handy when you're trying to track down any members if you seperate at any point... but yes, I agree with leaving the blackberry in the room or in your pocket and avoid work/ the internet.

dramamama

I applaud your desire to immerse yourself in the magic. Sadly, my DH and I will have to take computers on our next trip because we will have to check in on our online college classes. Also, since it is our anniversary we will be sans children. As an overprotective mommy I want to have the cellphone handy in case grandparents have to reach us. Anyone else can just leave a message! For us, it is have some distractions or don't go to the World right now.

David S.

I think it's a great idea, and I applaud you, Rod Serling! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

I personally don't ever carry any of the things on your "Forbidden List" into the parks with me because I like to "immerse myself" completely in the Magic!

In fact, I don't carry a cell phone on my person anywhere! (although I do keep one in the glove compartment of my car in case I break down and need to call for help).

I bring into the parks the following items:

*My annual pass, in it's case, which I keep inside of a ziploc bag slightly larger than the size of a standard plastic card. Into this ziploc bag, I store any FPs I aquire that day.

*A second ziploc bag of the same size, which includes my drivers license (to confirm my identity if my pass doesn't work or needs to be replaced), my car key, and an extra contact lens in case one of mine falls out (which almost never happens, but you never know). The second bag usually never needs to be opened or accessed from the time I leave my car to the time I return to it. Both of these ziploc bags fit comfortably into either a zippered or velcro shorts pocket, making them very secure on my person.

* Cash for my food, drinks, and any souvenir impulse buys

* A Times Guide that I pick up upon entering the park.

I guess by many people's standards this is "roughing it" by carrying so little, but it feels perfectly normal for me. In fact, I'd feel "trapped", less "free", and "restricted" if I had to carry a cell-phone and keep it turned on in the parks!

I was reading an article recently in USA Today about how electronic devices are causing people to lose focus on what they are doing and who they are with, causing them to do many things at once. Personally, I prefer to give 1,000,000 percent of my attention to whatever it is I am doing. When I watch one of my DVDs or listen to a CD, or read a book, my ringer is turned off, the doors are locked, and as far as I am concerned, nothing or no one in the world exists except the work of Art I am experiencing.

That's the attitude I take when I am at a park as well. I want my mind to be 100 percent on where I am and what I am doing. When I am out in public with someone else, I don't feel the need to make myself "accessible" to anyone else who isn't there, via cell phone. Not that I am criticising other people who have a different approach (and may have to due to their job), but when I am in public supposed to be spending "quality time" with a family member in a special place like WDW and they inturupt me mid-sentence to take a non-urgent, non-business related call, I find it beyond rude.

I personally refuse to make myself accessible 24/7 to anyone who knows me just because the technology exists that allows this. Everyone survived just fine without it. That's just my opinion of what works for me - other's mileage may very! ;)

Have a fun trip!

Phonedave

About the only thing that is on your "forbidden" list that i take is a simple point and shoot camera.

Sometimes I use it as an erzats notepad. For example, I was in EPCOT France looking at some cookbooks. There was one I wanted, but did not want to drag home with me (or pay EPCOT markup on). Snapped a picture of title and author and I'll buy it at home.

If I see something that interests me, i'll take a picture of it, but I don't spend hours behind the lense.

Just this last trip, I was leaving on Friday on 1:30 flight. I spend Friday morning bothering one of my vendors to get some EOY results in to me so I could finish a report and NOT have to take my laptop with me.

-dave

rodserling27

Original Poster
Personally, I prefer to give 1,000,000 percent of my attention to whatever it is I am doing. When I watch one of my DVDs or listen to a CD, or read a book, my ringer is turned off, the doors are locked, and as far as I am concerned, nothing or no one in the world exists except the work of Art I am experiencing.

Have a fun trip!
I really wish a lot of people took your attitude to that first little part I quoted there. That's FANTASTIC. I'm the same way. Bravo!

And thanks, I'll have a great trip :)
About the only thing that is on your "forbidden" list that i take is a simple point and shoot camera.
I've considered bringing my camera to the park, for reasons such as you described...But since I'll most likely be wearing jeans and not cargo shorts with 900 pockets, it'll be one more thing to clog up my available "storage space," if you will. :lol: I would like to mention that this will be my very first WDW trip without wearing some sort of back-pack or draw-string sack on my back! I'm VERY excited to do WDW without a burden on my back, literally!

forevermickey

Good for you!! I don't think I could do it! I admire you, I would need the cell phone to make sure everything was ok with my dogs at home and my camera for memories to last me till my next trip!

But I think it is great and would ultimately enjoy this!

EvilQueen-T

when my husband and i go we rarely take a camera (have a lot of pics already of us doing all the regular disney stuff), we leave the cell phone in the hotel room, i've never needed any type of technology to tell me how to find anything in the parks so i don't have those types of apps on my phone (but i also haven't needed a park map in over 20 years anyway), and it is the most refreshing feeling to walk into the parks with nothing more than your id, room key, and sun glasses. depending on the time of year we've been know to bring along a rain poncho but nothing that doesn't fit into our pockets. it is soooooo nice to just walk in without the bag line, to just sit down on a ride etc.... LOVE IT!!! it's the closest to being as free as you were when you were a kid as i think an adult can get at wdw. Love it love it love it.

sublimesting

We don't even watch non Disneytelevision while there. We don't want our vacation to be interupted by the real world. I take my laptop but only to watch Disney DVDs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom