Going to Japan next year, Should I add on a day for DisneySea?

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
My family is finally taking our dream vacation to Japan next year. It's a 15 day vacation if you count Travel days, and the fact that we lose a day crossing the International date line.

We are hitting Tokyo, Hakone, Osaka, and Kyoto With day trips to Nara and Hijime Castle. Then at the end we will take the train back to Tokyo to fly home.

My question is, is it worth it to add on an extra day at the end of the trip to visit DisneySea? We are big Disney fans, and I'm not really looking to do the whole park if we go. Mostly I would just want to hit the unique rides, and explore the lands. So I know one day wouldn't be a lot, but it would at least be enough to experience it? The park is close to Tokyo Bay correct? Would that put us close to the airport? We would be going into Haneda most likley.

BasiltheBatLord

If you've never been there and are unlikely to ever go back to Japan, then yes it is absolutely worth it. If you're going in 2023 then it's also possible you could see the new Fantasy Springs expansion which is opening then.

Tokyo Disney Resort is actually not in Tokyo but very nearby in neighboring Chiba prefecture, bordering Tokyo Bay. Haneda is 100% the better airport to fly into, Narita is far from central Tokyo and despite the fact that Narita is in Chiba I believe it's actually still faster to get to TDR from Haneda.

BrianLo

Yes, but a day for just DisneySea I think is the way to go. Certainly if the intent wasn't to actually visit specifically for Disney, you lose a lot from the rest of your trip trying to cram in more. TDL is excellent but if you are really after something truly unique you only need TDS for that.

But... warning... you'll want to go back to Japan in its entirety again afterwards for longer.

fradz

If you've never been there and are unlikely to ever go back to Japan, then yes it is absolutely worth it. If you're going in 2023 then it's also possible you could see the new Fantasy Springs expansion which is opening then.

Tokyo Disney Resort is actually not in Tokyo but very nearby in neighboring Chiba prefecture, bordering Tokyo Bay. Haneda is 100% the better airport to fly into, Narita is far from central Tokyo and despite the fact that Narita is in Chiba I believe it's actually still faster to get to TDR from Haneda.
Pretty much this. But I think it’s an experience more than anything, and whether or not it’s your only time in Japan, and whether or not you’re a park fan (you obviously are), it’s a must do for a day, just for the experience and theming. I’ve recommended it before to friends that aren’t really into parks and they really could appreciate it.

It’s not hard to go from the park to Haneda, there are direct highway bus for 10$ or you can use the other public transportation but you switch trains twice

Also I like to stay the night after park day at a nearby hotel, and the morning of park day I just put my (small) luggage in a locker near the entrance.

If you need any general Japan trip tips, feel free to ask. (IMHO don’t spend too much time in Osaka)

Robbiem

if you are able to visit I would definitely say yes. Disneysea is unique and a beautiful park. It also makes a great contrast from the rest of Japan and you get to see the Japanese at play.

Japan is an amazing place to visit which touches your soul, I hope you have an amazing trip, I know I can’t wait to return when I’m able to. happy travels!

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
We might actually be able to do a half day in Tokyo Disneyland. Our plan is to fly in and out of Haneda, so our trip is a bit of a circle. Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka, then back to Tokyo. If we get on the train early enough on the travel day from Osaka to Tokyo, then we might be able to get to Disneyland at 2. Which won't be a lot of time to do a ton, but we can at least see the park; maybe catch the unique rides/experiences there. Then have the full day the next day at Disneysea.

I guess from that point I need to figure out if I should book a vacation package for that part through the website, or choose a hotel in the Tokyo Bay area. Thoughts? Is it worth it to stay in a hotel on property there?

fradz

We might actually be able to do a half day in Tokyo Disneyland. Our plan is to fly in and out of Haneda, so our trip is a bit of a circle. Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka, then back to Tokyo. If we get on the train early enough on the travel day from Osaka to Tokyo, then we might be able to get to Disneyland at 2. Which won't be a lot of time to do a ton, but we can at least see the park; maybe catch the unique rides/experiences there. Then have the full day the next day at Disneysea.

I guess from that point I need to figure out if I should book a vacation package for that part through the website, or choose a hotel in the Tokyo Bay area. Thoughts? Is it worth it to stay in a hotel on property there?
I've done exactly that on my first trip there: early train from Osaka and spend whatever was left of the day there. It's a 3h journey so you are right that 2pm in the park is a good estimate.

For my first trip i was staying on property and I dropped off my luggage at the Tokyo Disney Resort Welcome Center by the train station and went on to the park. It worked out nicely because I had huge luggages at that time, but later on i just learned to pack lighter and use a locker at the station. I don't think staying on property is necessary for TDR, although I've repeatedly said that when I will finally take the lady there I will splurge on a MiraCosta room.

If you need any additional tips about the places you'll visit in Japan, let me know :)

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
I've done exactly that on my first trip there: early train from Osaka and spend whatever was left of the day there. It's a 3h journey so you are right that 2pm in the park is a good estimate.

For my first trip i was staying on property and I dropped off my luggage at the Tokyo Disney Resort Welcome Center by the train station and went on to the park. It worked out nicely because I had huge luggages at that time, but later on i just learned to pack lighter and use a locker at the station. I don't think staying on property is necessary for TDR, although I've repeatedly said that when I will finally take the lady there I will splurge on a MiraCosta room.

If you need any additional tips about the places you'll visit in Japan, let me know :)
Any tips are greatly appreciated. We looked at getting a travel agent to help us plan the trip, but when they kept doubling our budget I gave up and took over.

Robbiem

I’ve never stayed at a disney hotel in Tokyo (just too expensive) but the partner hotels on site are a good option. I’ve stayed at the Hilton and the Sheraton both OK Sheraton probably the better one. Both have fun themed rooms (we stayed in a happy magic forest room at the hilton and an ocean liner themed room at the Sheraton). You can send your luggage from the welcome centre (both) and check in and get your room key (sheration). If you are only there for a night its a good option. You can also take the limousine bus (motor coach) direct to the airport from the hotels. there is also a budget hotel at the railway station which isn’t technically on property but is effectively

Tokyo Disneyland is fun. If you do visit make sure to do Pooh’s Hunny Hunt and Monsters Inc if you can. Ive not been since 2019 so havent seen the new expansions but beauty and the beast would be a good bet as well.

Hope you have a great time and let us know if you need any help with your trip to japan

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
After confirming with the travel agent, we're gonna do a 1/2 day in the afternoon at Disneyland and then a full day at Disney see the next day. For both parts we're going to try to concentrate on the things that are unique there since we go to Disney world frequently enough. I know that A-day and a 1/2 isn't a lot of time to see either park so we figured we'd focus on the experiences arrances that we can't get back home. And then probably The Haunted Mansion because my daughter loves that ride no matter what continent it is on.

The tour guide had us in Capitol Tokyu, which I do not know anything about but looks far away from the park. So I asked her to look at some of the good neighborhood hotels closer instead. I told her about the Sheraton recommended above maybe.

BasiltheBatLord

The following are all the Japan-exclusive attractions at both parks, not including flat spinners and transit-type rides and not factoring in the Fantasy Springs expansion opening at DisneySea next year.

Tokyo Disneyland
  • Pooh's Honey Hunt
  • Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast
  • Monster's Inc. Ride & Go Seek
  • The Enchanted Tiki Room: Stitch Presents "Aloha E Komo Mai!"
Tokyo DisneySea
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • Tower of Terror (different theme)
  • Nemo & Friends SeaRider
  • Sinbad's Storybook Voyage
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (different than the former WDW ride)
  • Raging Spirits (sorta, blueprint copy of a Paris coaster)
Disneyland also has arguably the best versions worldwide of Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain.

Capitol Hotel Tokyu (I assume you mean the one in Chiyoda) is indeed a little far from the park, probably 35 mins or so by rail. But it's a pretty good location for central Tokyo. It's right next to the National Diet Building and is only one train away from a lot of major spots like Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi etc. You should consider whether you value being closer to the parks or having a convenient central Tokyo location.

Good luck, here's hoping borders are actually open for you next year.

Last edited:

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
The following are all the Japan-exclusive attractions at both parks, not including flat spinners and transit-type rides and not factoring in the Fantasy Springs expansion opening at DisneySea next year.

Tokyo Disneyland
  • Pooh's Honey Hunt
  • Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast
  • Monster's Inc. Ride & Go Seek
  • The Enchanted Tiki Room: Stitch Presents "Aloha E Komo Mai!"
Tokyo DisneySea
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • Tower of Terror (different theme)
  • Nemo & Friends SeaRider
  • Sinbad's Storybook Voyage
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (different than the former WDW ride)
  • Raging Spirits (sorta, blueprint copy of a Paris coaster)
Disneyland also has arguably the best versions worldwide of Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain.

Capitol Hotel Tokyu (I assume you mean the one in Chiyoda) is indeed a little far from the park, probably 35 mins or so by rail. But it's a pretty good location for central Tokyo. It's right next to the National Diet Building and is only one train away from a lot of major spots like Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi etc. You should consider whether you value being closer to the parks or having a convenient central Tokyo location.

Good luck, here's hoping borders are actually open for you next year.
For this part of the trip being closer to the parks really seems like the better thing. At this point in the trip all we are doing is visiting Disney before we fly home. Basically we are touring Japan in a loop. Starting with Tokyo, then swinging down to Hakone, Osaka, and Kyoto before returning back to Tokyo. So if the only point is to be closer to Disney before going back to Haneda airport, I will probably ask them to find a closer location.

Thank you for the awesome list. And we will definitely hit up Pirates and Haunted Mansion. We will probably try to do Splash, time allowing.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom