Going to Disneyland next Sunday!!!!!!!

Justin149

Original Poster
Going to Disneyland next Sunday!!!!!!!

I am so psyced, this is my second visit to the land and my first to california adventure.

Any suggestions about going, and do you think you can do both parks in 1 day????

-justin

lil'sis

You can do both parks in one day, but personally I'd rather spend one day at each park. If you only have one day to spend at both parks, since it's your first visit to DCA, I'd suggest starting your day there. Do not miss Soarin', screamin', Electric Parade and Blast. I love spending evenings at Disneyland because of Believe...there's magic in the stars fireworks show and Fantasmic!

Before I forget, The village People will be performing at DCA. Showings at 5:45 and 7:45 p.m. (Only if you're a fan.)
Have fun! :)

Merlin

Account Suspended
It is nearly impossible to do DL in a day. You can do DCA in about 90 minutes. If you're limited on time, I would skip DCA altogether. But if you are determined to go, all I can say is keep your expectations really low. It is incredibly unimaginative and disappointing, despite what you have heard otherwise on these boards (I'm amazed there are so many people who are so closed-minded about Disney. They can't just admit DCA sucks big time. Taking a carnival ride and putting the Disney name on it doesn't suddenly make it "magical", but a lot of people on these boards just can't seem to see that...or don't want to admit it).

lil'sis

Originally posted by Merlin
I'm amazed there are so many people who are so closed-minded about Disney. They can't just admit DCA sucks big time. Taking a carnival ride and putting the Disney name on it doesn't suddenly make it "magical", but a lot of people on these boards just can't seem to see that...or don't want to admit it).

It's called an opnion. :animwink:

I say keep an open mind, it just might surprise you.

Merlin

Account Suspended
I wish it were possible to prove my theory, but I am convinced that if DCA were absolutely identical to the way it is now but were located nowhere near Disneyland and didn't have the Disney name on it, the same people on these boards who are always defending it wouldn't be as impressed by it. People are brainwashed into thinking they're supposed to LOVE everything with the Disney name on it (even if Disney actually had absolutely nothing to do with it's design or construction, but all they did was purchase it from some amusement company). If that is how you define having an "open mind" then I guess I'm glad I don't have one of those.

lil'sis

If that is how you define having an "open mind" then I guess I'm glad I don't have one of those.

Having an open mind wasn't aimed at you, it was for those who haven't been to DCA. You tried it and didn't like it, I respect that. I just wanted Justin and anyone else planning on going to DCA to try it and decide for themselves if it's a waste of time and money.

Since I enjoy DCA I guess I'm a walking Disney Zombie :lol:

Lhriangel

hm.. I liked DCA and I've been to DL many times, worked at Epcot and basically lived at WDW for 7 months and am an avid Disney fan. So am I closed minded?

DCA is different but it has its own charm. Everyone has to find it on their own.

cruiseman

Definately use the fast pass for soaring, cant miss it. Also have the blue cheese chesse burger next to it in the aviation hanger restaurant. Take 2 days one for each and the Grand California has some great merchandise shops

mousecar

I saved Soarin over California for the end of the day and I wished I would have gone there first. I would have rode it again. I think it's impossible to come off that ride without smiling.

DLMAGICDARREN

Merlin, we all know you hate DCA, and that's fine, but to suggest it can be done in 90 minutes is silly. Heck just to watch Blast takes 30 minues, and is only one of the attractions in Hollywood, not to mention the other districts Golden State and Paradise Pier. I guess you're using the park as a jogging course intead of a theme park, no wonder you don't like it.

DCA if given a chance, easily takes the entire day, as Disneyland takes 3 full days to really see it all.

I agree that if DCA were located elsewhere, and didn't have the "Disney" name many people who defend it today would have more problems with it. But even with its faults I don't see a lot of other companies putting the theming that DCA got inside their parks, ok so some don't like Paradise Pier's theme, but the theimng in Golden State and Hollywood is awesome. I can't think of a non Disney park that has such diversity inside three districts, but yet such detailed themeing.

I live right at WDW, but nothing gets me more excited then my trips to DLR. I'm just more passionate about that resort having grown up there and it being the original I suppose. And part of that reason now includes DCA as well as Disneyland.

By the way, I leave Monday for DLR!

So Justin149, are you back? How was the trip?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It is incredibly unimaginative and disappointing, despite what you have heard otherwise on these boards (I'm amazed there are so many people who are so closed-minded about Disney. They can't just admit DCA sucks big time. Taking a carnival ride and putting the Disney name on it doesn't suddenly make it "magical", but a lot of people on these boards just can't seem to see that...or don't want to admit it).

You have to respect the other's opinions on liking DCA. The park does have its fans, and there are certainly a lot on this forum. :)

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by DLMAGICDARREN
I guess you're using the park as a jogging course intead of a theme park, no wonder you don't like it.

Now you see, that's why you're one of my favorite people on this board Darren. We may not generally agree, but at least your responses are always intelligent, well thought out, and (quite often) witty as well. Kudos to you for that!

And of course I was kidding when I said you can do DCA in 90 minutes. It was my exaggerated way of stating that I just haven't experienced much there to hold my interest. In all seriousness, I would generally say that it takes about one fifth the time to see all of DCA as it does to see all of DL. This is particularly true if you've never been to either park. Having been to both parks, I naturally know what is worth missing at each one the next time I visit. At DL, that would include things such as the Tea Cups, Astro Orbitor, Flying Dumbo, Innoventions, and maybe a couple others. At DCA the list of attractions not worth seeing again includes the vast majority of the park, so (for me) I think it is more realistic to say I could see DCA in about one tenth the time it would take me to experience DL.

But you know something? I'm thinking about that "jogging course" idea! That may very well make the price of admission worth it after all!

DLMAGICDARREN

And of course I was kidding when I said you can do DCA in 90 minutes.

Ok good to see you were kidding (which I knew you were, but just had to make my point)

I'm the first to agree that if all you want to do at DCA is take a quick ride on Soarin and Screamin, you probably could do it in about 90 minutes, but I think that if you skip all the atmosphere, and just run to the Etickets, any Disney park can be done in 1/5th of the time as it takes to really see any every show and experiance every attraction.

One of my favorite passtimes at DCA, is just kicking back, in the Pacific Wharf.

Going to WDW today, and DLR next week! :)

ToTBellHop

Head on over to Mermaid Lagoon at DisneySea...look at its attractions. This is supposed to be Disney's best park, and that is a land full of Six Flags style attractions with disney magic. Most people say this park is amazing. Theming is everything...anyway, just respect us Cali Adventure fans' opinions without all-but calling us stupid for liking the park...it has two of Disney's best attractions, Cali Screamin' and Soarin' Over Cali...I haven't heard a single negative report about either.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by DogsRule!
Head on over to Mermaid Lagoon at DisneySea...look at its attractions. This is supposed to be Disney's best park, and that is a land full of Six Flags style attractions with disney magic. Most people say this park is amazing. Theming is everything...anyway, just respect us Cali Adventure fans' opinions without all-but calling us stupid for liking the park...it has two of Disney's best attractions, Cali Screamin' and Soarin' Over Cali...I haven't heard a single negative report about either.

I haven't been to DisneySea, so can't really express an opinion on it.

California Screamin' is a decent coaster (and I'm a huge coaster buff), so I'll concede that is a good ride. Soarin' Over California, however, is grossly overrated. It is one of those attractions that, if it were by itself somewhere and you paid $5.00 to ride it, you might get off and say, "Hey, that was fun". But in a Disney park, where the "good show" standards are higher, it seems out of place. There are no smooth transitions between the "scenes" on the film. Depending on where you are sitting, your view can easily be distracted by the sight of dangling feet. And when they spray in a scent (i.e. Oranges), they need to get better and taking that scent away more quickly when the film suddenly switches to another scene. I'll admit Soarin' is fun, but it is far from "one of Disney's BEST attractions" like so many people like to say it is.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Originally posted by DogsRule!
Head on over to Mermaid Lagoon at DisneySea...look at its attractions. This is supposed to be Disney's best park, and that is a land full of Six Flags style attractions with disney magic. Most people say this park is amazing.

"a land full of Six Flags style attractions"???? You have no idea what you're talking about. Have you even BEEN to DisneySea?? I have been there and DCA isn't even in the same league (no pun intended).

DLMAGICDARREN

I haven't been to DisneySea, so can't really express an opinion on it.

California Screamin' is a decent coaster (and I'm a huge coaster buff), so I'll concede that is a good ride. Soarin' Over California, however, is grossly overrated. It is one of those attractions that, if it were by itself somewhere and you paid $5.00 to ride it, you might get off and say, "Hey, that was fun". But in a Disney park, where the "good show" standards are higher, it seems out of place. There are no smooth transitions between the "scenes" on the film. Depending on where you are sitting, your view can easily be distracted by the sight of dangling feet. And when they spray in a scent (i.e. Oranges), they need to get better and taking that scent away more quickly when the film suddenly switches to another scene. I'll admit Soarin' is fun, but it is far from "one of Disney's BEST attractions" like so many people like to say it is.

I would agree with those comments. Although the attraction is a lot of fun, the transitions do make little sense. Also there is no show at all in the flight room, other then watching the film, you stare at a blank scvreen, so there is no suspense what will happen.

It is a great ride, but I agree it could have been a lot more, but what else can you expect, it's another Eisner supported attraction, so you knew it would be out of touch with real Disney standards.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by DLMAGICDARREN

It is a great ride, but I agree it could have been a lot more, but what else can you expect, it's another Eisner supported attraction, so you knew it would be out of touch with real Disney standards.

True. It is too bad this is the "signature attraction" of the park. But the concept is wonderful and I would love to see them expand on it. I like to think of this as really a "first generation" version of this type of ride. Perhaps this will be the "Magic Journeys" to another park's "Honey I Shrunk The Audience". What a thrilling way it could be to give a "tour" of a particular place! I could see the concept being incorporated into some World Showcase attractions and then improved-upon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom