Going in The Beginning of December...Tips and Ideas

PrincessMia

We will be there the same week. Were there same time 2 years ago. My biggest tip would be- bring jeans/pants and a jacket. The days were perfect for me, but it was pretty chilly after sunset for DD and me.

Upvote 0

JCtheparrothead

I agree with Mia. I have been going to WDW for about 8 years straight that time of year and the one thing that is consistent is it gets cold at night. I am from Michigan and I can easily survive in a sweatshirt but I bring a fleece for the kids.

It's not too busy at WDW but if you are even remotely interested in universal that place is a ghost town at this time. Most rides are walk on.

Upvote 0

C.FERNIE

Original Poster
Thank you, I was wondering if it would be a bit nippy in the evenings! We are from Scotland though so it will probs feel like a summers day! Was planning on going to go to uni for a day as its my girlfriends first time out in Florida! Glad you said it is quiet as i was going to buy their queue pass thing!

Upvote 0

sissa216

I'll be there too! It is my favorite week of the year. It is not the least crowded time of the year, but definitely manageable crowds. I agree that the weather can be unpredictable, and sometimes cold. We've experienced highs during the day anywhere from upper 80s to 40s (or even colder). There have been record cold temperatures when we're there- to the point of needing a sweatshirt during the day, and coats at night (and I'm from near Chicago, so I'm used to the cold). We've also found it comfortable to swim late at night on other days, so just prepare for everything!

Make sure to plan enough time to see all the Christmas decorations and festivities (Candlelight Processional and Holiday storytellers around Epcot, Osborne Lights at DHS, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at MK). Also, the resorts are wonderfully decorated as well- and many of the Deluxe resorts have a Photopass photographer on hand by their main tree (great to know if you're getting Memory Maker, so you can add even more nice pictures to your account). Also, because of the Christmas parties, the MK will close at 7 many nights that week, without Wishes or MSEP.

The first weekend in December they tend to tape the Christmas Day Parade in MK, so adjust your plans around it. It may be interesting for you to see if you never have before; all of Main Street will be taken up by the performers, camera crew and equipment, and any guests who want to be extras, filmed alongside the street watching the parade. However, you will NOT have access to Main Street, all the way through the castle. You will need to hurry through behind the crowd, or through the emporium, and into the rest of the park. You will not be able to get a picture Main Street with the castle that day, and that entire area will be packed and a bit chaotic. However- the rest of the park will still be enjoyable, and the crowds will not be bad at all. There's a good chance the filming will be Fri-Sun of the first weekend (around 5th-7th), but exact dates won't be known until later.

Upvote 0

iluvMainStMagic

We've been twice in early Dec and had a variety of temps, both day and night. Everything from short sleeve shirts & sandals during the day, to cold and windy at night. I usually try to pack so I can layer clothes - for example I take a light weight knit jacket and a light weight fleece jacket that can be worn together if I need it at night. And with the humidity being generally lower during that time of year, (for me) 3/4 length sleeve shirts work pretty well for a wide range of temps. Checking the weather forecasts before travel is helpful, too....as with all things Disney, there are no guarantees :rolleyes: that they will be right, but it gives a place to start packing. :joyfull: I hope you have a wonderful/magical time, we Love that time of year!!

Upvote 0

SMS55

Great time to go. The kids are still in school so you don't have to deal with the nightmare holiday crowds but you'll see the parks all decked out for the holidays. MK has it's Very Merry Christmas Party. Its separately priced. There is much debate about whether it's worth it or not, but know when it's going on because MK will close early on those days. You have the Holidays Around the World and Nightime Processional. I think this past year was the last year of the Osborne Spectacle of Lights. Hopefully someone else can confirm. Weather is not bad. The average temperature in the mornings is low 50's but if a front passes through it can get down into the 40's and even 30's if it's strong enough.

Upvote 0

Mukta

I love that time of year.
Visit the deluxe hotels to see their decoration.
See the Epcot Storytellers
See the Osborne Lights
See the Castle Lighting at 6:15 pm at MK

Upvote 0

popcenturylover

We were there at the same time this past December. We had weather in the upper 70's & 80's. There was only one evening where it was too cold to swim. All the other evenings we hit the pools & hot tub. There are the Osbourne lights,(amazing!) Candlelight Processional,(we heard Ashley Judd she was fabulous!) Visited some of the deluxe resorts,(beautiful!) & enjoyed all of the Holiday treats around the World!!! We opted to skip the parade taping to ride the rides but we did hear them setting off fireworks all throughout the day for it!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I'd bring everything from spring attire to winter wear. I lived in FL for several years and also went to WDW from Dec 7-13 a few years ago and the weather can really be all over the place. On that trip...the lows were often in the 20s-40s with strong winds and we had a few days that went as high as mid 70s.

Upvote 0

Karenb64

If you are thinking about doing MVMCP, get there early and if you can, plan to see the second parade. We were there beginning of December and went on a Thursday so we thought crowds would be low. The place was packed. Because we had young kids in our family group, we tried to see the first parade so we wouldn't have to be there too late. Well, in order to see the first parade, you have to grab your spot on the curb early so waiting for the parade pretty much takes up the first part of your night. Get away from Main Street and enjoy every thing else going on in the parks and then watch the second parade and just plan on a late night.
Also, we loved Candlelight Processional. It was the highlight of our trip. We did the dinner package which was worth it. But be careful about the timing. Our dinner was running long, but our server at the Rose and Crown assured us they would save spots for us. Well we nearly missed out on getting our "reserved" seats. We quickly slipped in just as they were about to open it up to the general public.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

We were there in early December 2012 for the first time. Don't miss:
Osborne Lights at DHS
Castle Lighting at MK
MVMCP if that's your thing
Life size gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian
CHocolate carousel at the Beach Club
It was pretty cool if not downright cold for much of our trip so bring layers.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

Just wanted to say "ditto" to a bunch of things! The year we were there that same week, the temps varied quite a bit. We went swimming some days, and were in hoodies & jeans other days. So keep an eye on your 10 day forecast, and throw in hoodies & jeans if need be.

We love the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights, definitely don't miss that. Watching the castle lighting is also very magical, as is the Candlelight Processional. If you get a chance to resort hop to see decorations, that's definitely worth it! Visit GF to see the Ginger Bread House, and the Wilderness Lodge lobby is beautiful too.

Head into Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe or Days of Christmas in DTD. We got a Christmas ornament personalized w/the year as a nice souvenir for our trip. We also really enjoyed Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. I liked the cookies & cocoa, and the snow on Main Street. It's a great time to visit, have fun!

Upvote 0

Disneydreamer23

Make sure you bring summer clothes and winter clothes I went In dec of 09 10 11 and 12 and 3 out of the 4 times I was wearing a hoodie and pants most of the day every day but the one time I was sweating at 7 PM it can go either way with weather!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom