Trip Report Going for platinum, a Pro9het surf story.

Hello again! I debated a while if this TR would even happen but you see how that turned out. My TRs started having me feel like I was stuck in a strange version of Ground Hog Day. “Oh look there’s a DCL ship”, “Lets welcome the McGillicutty family”, “There’s Palo again”, “Castaway Cay”, and “#tonyfromspain”. All that said, I figured there were enough firsts on this trip to justify another TR. Some of those firsts include a new departure port, new port of call, and #tonyfromspain is on vacation so we have a new entertainment personality. If you need a small glimpse at some back story, here are a few: 20/40 Trip, Surf 'n' Turf 2018, and Bermuda,

So lets get some details out of the way first.
WHO: The cast includes my better half, @imahistorygeek, and myself.
IMG_2763.JPG

WHAT: Disney Magic 5-night itinerary
WHEN: This trip took place between January 3-9
WHERE: Port of Miami with stops at Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay.
WHY: Why not?

As the title suggests, this was our 10th DCL trip pushing us into their "Platinum Castaway Club". All this really means is we get to book earlier and eat at Palo for free, but hey, free Palo is free Palo! The trip does include another beer exchange and dinner at Palo but also includes a new beverage seminar, new port, and a glimpse of Cuba.

So there are the details. Up next we will leave a cold and rainy Georgia for warm and sunny Florida.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Day 3, Grand Cayman, con't:

We relaxed at the beach for a few hours until it neared lunchtime. Our excursion to the included a lunch, we just had to locate the venue. We used this time to explore a little bit while we searched out lunch.
IMG_8615.JPG
IMG_8616.JPG
IMG_8617.JPG
IMG_8618.JPG
IMG_8619.JPG
IMG_8630.JPG

While exploring we came across this fella. See him?
GOPR3107.JPG

How about now?
GOPR3164.JPG

He wasn't having anything to do with anyone and hunkered down pretty good.

lostpro9het

Original Poster

We eventually found our lunch location. We had no idea going in what was going to be served and how. We entered and were told it was a buffet and we could sit anywhere we wanted and start enjoying at our leisure. With no expectations going in we were not disappointed. It was a decent enough spread. The jerk chicken and fried plantains were easily my favorite. They even had something for the kiddos, or adults with less adventurous palate.
IMG_8620.JPG
IMG_8621.JPG
IMG_8622.JPG
IMG_8623.JPG
IMG_8624.JPG
IMG_8625.JPG
IMG_8626.JPG
IMG_8627.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

After lunch we made back to our beach chairs for a little siesta before heading out into the water. Popped open another exchange beer. The brew was called Cowcatcher by Smartmouth Brewing. My Untappd notes read 3.75/5, Smooth and subtly sweet and teh Samoa flavors are there.
IMG_8629.JPG

When we ventured out it became quickly apparent that the water today would not be clear. The currents were pretty aggressive under the surface and that stirred up a lot of sand making underwater shots difficult. I still tried and the birds enjoyed watching me.
GOPR3114.JPG

GOPR3117.JPG

GOPR3124.JPG

GOPR3130.JPG

GOPR3134.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

After a while we decided to head over to the other side of the island. I'm not entirely sure we were supposed to be over here but there were not enough signs telling us not to so we went for it. The rock formations here were scary cool. They looked like they wouldn't think twice about cutting you but were nice enough to play host to all sorts of wildlife. Tons of hermit crab action over here. We speny a good while exploring here before heading back to the main beach.

GOPR3150.JPG
GOPR3151.JPG
GOPR3152.JPG
GOPR3153.JPG
GOPR3155.JPG
GOPR3158.JPG
GOPR3161.JPG
GOPR3162.JPG
GOPR3163.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

We continued to explore the new beach until it was time to head back to catch the catamaran back. They raised the sails and we actually sailed the entire way back. This was quite relaxing and everyone took to napping on the journey back.
IMG_8632.JPG

IMG_8633.JPG

IMG_8634.JPG

IMG_8635.JPG

I wont lie, looking up and seeing the plane fly by as I was napping I had flashbacks from the LOST finale.
IMG_8636.JPG

IMG_8637.JPG

So far this day had been GREAT. Smooth sailings to and from our excursion and we arrived back at the catamaran dock with an hour and a half to spare before our beverage seminar back on the ship. It only took us about 20 minutes to get here from the port so we were sitting good on time, or so we thought. Turned out there was a series of accidents that caused us and a couple other excursions to get caught in some heavy traffic. This also meant we all arrived at the tender dock at the same time. When we left the buses we were faced with this and about 40 minutes until out beverage seminar started!
IMG_8638.JPG

Panic was really starting to set in as this line didn't seem to be moving. Thankfully when it did move they packed us all on the boats back and we were pulling up to The Magic with 20 minutes to spare!
IMG_8639.JPG

IMG_8640.JPG

IMG_8641.JPG

MinnieM123

Premium Member
When we ventured out it became quickly apparent that the water today would not be clear. The currents were pretty aggressive under the surface and that stirred up a lot of sand making underwater shots difficult. I still tried and the birds enjoyed watching me.

I was amazed by how clean the water looked -- sand and all. I like the photo of you and your wife standing there in the ocean. :inlove:

lostpro9het

Original Poster

After getting on board we still had enough time to head back to our room to drop some gear off before making our way to Keys. All that worry about missing the seminar and we ended up being the first folks to arrive, figures.

IMG_8642.JPG

Today's seminar was the Mojitos & Caipirinhas. What's a Caipirinha you ask? It's basically a Brazillain Mojito made with cachaça(Brazilian rum), sugar cane, and lime. As we entered, the CMs were just finishing the setup of all stations for the guests. We were invited to sit wherever we wanted, so we did.
IMG_8643.JPG

Each station had four glasses with ingredients, portioned alcohol shots, ice, soda, and a muddler for each guest. Before we got started we were given a lesson on all the ingredients, the significance of the different alcohols we would be using today, and how they are produced.

The first drink we mixed was an authentic Caipirinha made with the Brazilian rum, lime, and sugar cane. This guy was very sweet and really hid the high octane cachaça. So good but so dangerous.
IMG_8644.JPG

We followed the caipirinha with a traditional mojito of rum, lime, mint, and some club soda.
IMG_8645.JPG

Our next mix was a mango mojito made with Bacardi lemon infused rum, mint, lime, and of course mango. Another dangerously good drink.
IMG_8646.JPG

Our fourth mix was a pineapple ginger mojito made with ginger, pineapple, and 100 proof dark rum. This was my least favorite as it was very tart.
IMG_8647.JPG

We finished our experience off with a Chambord mojito made with Bacardi silver and Chambord liqueur. Another super sweet and dangerous drink.
IMG_8648.JPG

This was easily one of our best beverage experiences we have ever done on DCL and we've done our fair share of them. We were in Keys well over an hour drinking and chatting up others who took part. It certainly helped that we had a great couple from sitting across from us during the experience. Cali residents Larry and Rosie were both retired and their with their kids and their families. This was a nice "Adulting Break" for them and they shared some great stories. The booze really loosened them up too only making the discussion that much more fun ;-). We stayed in keys right up to the first dining rotation before venturing out.

imahistorygeek

I think Keys is one of my favorite places to sit and relax. We have ventured there quite a few times during our voyages on the Magic. It's very quiet and the seating is comfortable. The drink menu also has some interesting choices. So, if you want a quiet place to relax with a drink, this is the place to go. I look forward to trying out the Cadillac Lounge on the Wonder in September.

Maelstrom Troll

I like the Cadillac Lounge over Keys but I’m not sure that it fits the current Wonder “club” theming. Still, even though it’s more Route 66 appropriate, it’s a very comfortable and well themed spot. I think it’s a little strange that it didnt get upgraded, but I’m glad they kept it. I couldnt imagine ripping out all of that wood and chrome!
One memorable trip, my wife and I walked in to take pics and stocked liquor cabinet style cart complete with a 1/3 full decanter of Louis XIII was sitting open with no CMs to be found! And no we didnt 🥃🥃😉

Pics of the cadi lounge and the old Route 66 theming and the most amazing bathroom in all of Disney!
69470A0C-61EF-49EF-A326-322D940C4029.jpeg
B455C352-8E49-45D0-A519-5AEF71678C78.jpeg
B190CE3F-515E-4B71-A9A3-C1CB51AF241D.jpeg
E46E5BC6-466C-4679-80D7-F304FB7B45E2.jpeg
67E7CEDF-786D-426F-B253-E550E4B98191.jpeg
5C252998-0FAF-4D57-85A4-E7C21872D432.jpeg

lostpro9het

Original Poster

Whoa, sorry about this. A recipe of COVID, work, and uncertainty of future trips has left me less than motivated to put in the time on this one. While I am a hardcore procrastinator I'm no quitter so lets git-r-done and start wrapping this one up. We last left off with a great beverage seminar in Keys while making some new friends who were heading to their rotational dining. We had late dining so we still had some time to kill before then. The day's activities and an hour of drinking left us a little hungry so went topside to Pinocchio's Pizzeria to grab a slice on the way to our room to clean up.
IMG_8649.JPG

IMG_8650.JPG

We cleaned up and changed for dinner, which was still an hour away. Fathoms was hosting the 90's music trivia in a few minutes so we hit up O 'Gills to grab a couple beers for trivia. My bride went with a Blue Point Lager and I, of course, had another La Fin.
IMG_8651.JPG

IMG_8652.JPG

We made it in plenty of time for #nottonyfromspain, Jo, to kickoff the trivia. Typically we rock this game but tonight missed first by a point, boo. No worries, we still had fun and enough DCL luggage tags for the Brady Bunch.
IMG_8653.JPG

IMG_8654.JPG

By the time trivia ended it was our time for rotational dining. Tonight we would head to Animator's Palate.

lostpro9het

Original Poster

Tonight's dining had us in Animator's. This is a pretty cool venue that is a bit different from it's counterpart on The Fantasy and Dream but identical to The Wonder. When you walk in everything is black and white which is the first difference you notice from The Fantasy and Dream. The walls are covered with sketches of all things Disney. You'll notice even the CM's are covered in black and white sketches to fit the theme, again in contrast to the bright colored theming found on the larger ships. Additionally, there is no Crush interaction like on the larger ships but they do a good job of keeping you entertained during the dinner as the walls are always changing with new sketches building up to climax that will come a little later.

IMG_8655.JPG
IMG_8656.JPG
IMG_8657.JPG
IMG_8658.JPG
IMG_8659.JPG
IMG_8660.JPG
IMG_8661.JPG
IMG_8662.JPG
IMG_8663.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster

So we made our way to table 44 and caught up with TeamIllinois and TeamMexico who had a busy day at Grand Cayman too. Unlike the theming, the menu here is pretty much the same as the other ships. We each went with the black truffle pasta purseittes as apps and beef tenderloin as mains.

IMG_8664.JPG
IMG_8665.JPG
IMG_8666.JPG
IMG_8667.JPG
IMG_8668.JPG
IMG_8669.JPG
IMG_8670.JPG

The food was good but I wouldn't mind if they revamped this menu a bit.

While we were enjoying our main dishes the climax of the evening began. When the main event starts the room goes dark and the walls light up with color and transform the black and white images into moving color images. Rather than post a ton of images, I literally took over 100, I went ahead and made a gif of the transformations the wall was going through.

lostpro9het

Original Poster

After the main event we were presented with dessert menus and closed out our dinner with a coffee, the crunchy walnut cake, and the chocolate fudge cheesecake.
IMG_8775.JPG
IMG_8776.JPG
IMG_8777.JPG
IMG_8778.JPG
IMG_8779.JPG

After dessert it was coming up on time for Match Your Mate at Fathoms. We bid a goodnight to our tablemates and made our way forward for the night's entertainment. MYM is essentially DCL's version of the newlywed show and is typically the highlight of the adult entertainment, tonight was no exception. Its always great learning about other people's "magic".
IMG_8780.JPG

It was a pretty full day for us so we skipped the late night entertainment and made for our room. We have a day at sea tomorrow and wanted to be able to get up early enough to get our pool chairs. We had some towel art waiting for us when we returned.
IMG_8782.JPG

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Tonight's dining had us in Animator's. This is a pretty cool venue that is a bit different from it's counterpart on The Fantasy and Dream but identical to The Wonder. When you walk in everything is black and white which is the first difference you notice from The Fantasy and Dream. The walls are covered with sketches of all things Disney. You'll notice even the CM's are covered in black and white sketches to fit the theme, again in contrast to the bright colored theming found on the larger ships. Additionally, there is no Crush interaction like on the larger ships but they do a good job of keeping you entertained during the dinner as the walls are always changing with new sketches building up to climax that will come a little later.

View attachment 473878View attachment 473889View attachment 473890View attachment 473894View attachment 473902View attachment 473903View attachment 473904View attachment 473914View attachment 473918

Love, love, LOVE the animation design for this restaurant. The use of black and white, with the subtle hues of a few colors in the lighting, is so creative and fun!!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Day 4, at sea.

It was another great night of rest on our journey to Castaway Cay. Today was another day at sea which meant another day at the pool! Mother nature was playing nice today and gave us another beautiful day. You could see Cuba again from the ship.
IMG_8783.JPG

IMG_8784.JPG

IMG_8785.JPG

IMG_8787.JPG

IMG_8788.JPG

We grabbed some chairs by the pool and then grabbed some breakfast. Today a "new to us" item was being served in Cabanas, Churro Mickey Waffles!
IMG_8786.JPG

IMG_8789.JPG

Like I said, first time trying churro waffles and they were good, no need for syrup either. I'd get them again. With that, our day was set! This was my view pretty much the entire day between trips to the room for beer and rum.
IMG_8790.JPG

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Day 4, at sea, con't.

So as I said, whole day by the pool with our only break coming for some grub at lunch. Surprise surprise, more shawarma for me!
IMG_8791.JPG

We had plans on watching Star Wars tonight before dinner so we made to our stateroom around 4:30 to clean up and change. As we left our room to make for the Buena Vista Theater we bumped into a few friends.
IMG_8794.JPG

IMG_8795.JPG

We still had a few minutes so we decided to see what was going down in the atrium and it was hopping!
IMG_8798.JPG

IMG_8799.JPG

IMG_8800.JPG

IMG_8803.JPG

IMG_8804.JPG

We mingled for a bit then made for the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom