Going Back to DL After 1 Year - Expectations And Tips

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Alright so it's been about a year since my last visit, meaning I haven't quite seen Tropical Hideaway or Galaxies Edge. I'm excited, but in a 3-day trip that's going to equal about 1-months mortgage payment, I have a certain up-in-the-air feeling about visiting the happiest place on earth at this time. I will be in Anaheim on the evening of Dec 10th, and will return home on Dec 14th.

What i'm excited about:
1. Christmas at Disneyland with my loved ones! What's more magical?
2. No more TL rocks should look great, as should Tropical Hideaway.
3. Saying hello to some of the classics I've missed, like Pirates, BTMRR, Splash, DLRR, Main Street USA, etc.
4. Walking through the new path from Splash to Big Thunder! Can't wait to see what they've done.

What i'm disappointed with:
1. I missed SoC in the short time frame it was back. I strongly dislike World.
2. Am I visiting DL, or DisWars Park? I really wanted to experience Space Mountain again, but i'll still enjoy Hyper probably.
3. I still feel a certain way about new DCA that I don't need to reiterate yet again. The value of my dollar has been greatly diminished over here.

What i'm unsure of:
1. SW:GE. I couldn't really care less about a VR Millennium Falcon ride, but i'll still do my best to try and experience it. I'm unfortunately going to miss RotR by just a month. I feel like i'll enjoy SW:GE but we'll see.
2. Obtaining an AP. I started a thread on this awhile ago, but although i'm leaning towards a big fat NO, i'd be persuaded more easily if I knew what this next year is going to look like. Will everything still be Star Wars?

The purpose of this thread, AKA where you come in:
1. What is something DL veterans should know if they've been absent for over a year? Any other small, detailed changes I can look for?
2. Do you have any tips for maybe newer gift ideas? I still need to do some Christmas shopping.
3. How intense is Millennium anyway? I fear I might get a headache or some nausea similar to that I experienced from Flight of Passage at WDW.
4. Any other comments to my comments are most welcome.

Thanks all!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
MFSR isn't a smooth ride, even when your pilot isn't a six year old. It definitely bumps you around a bit. I don't recall being tossed around in FoP though. I'd say MFSR is definitely more bumpy than FoP, but it's not that bad. It's like driving through Ohio with all the surprise pot holes.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
MFSR isn't a smooth ride, even when your pilot isn't a six year old. It definitely bumps you around a bit. I don't recall being tossed around in FoP though. I'd say MFSR is definitely more bumpy than FoP, but it's not that bad. It's like driving through Ohio with all the surprise pot holes.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

I may have to skip it then.. lol couldn't even wear my VR headset for over 10 minutes without getting sick. And FoP was smooth but I think the screen and movement gave me a little nausea. It's unfortunately part of the reason why I don't like simulators.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Thanks! I appreciate it.

I may have to skip it then.. lol couldn't even wear my VR headset for over 10 minutes without getting sick. And FoP was smooth but I think the screen and movement gave me a little nausea. It's unfortunately part of the reason why I don't like simulators.

I've read a lot of reviews from people who said they got motion sick on FoP but not on MFSR, for what that's worth. I specifically am speaking from a physical jarring perspective.

wowsmom

Can you take something to prevent motion sickness, like Bonine? I get motion sick from my husband's driving and a lot of rides, but I take Bonine and had no problems on MFSR.

James122

IMO, Smuggler's run isn't quite as intense as Star Tours, although it can be quite bumpy (depending on who is pilot). Haven't been on FOP, so can't comment. But if you're at all sensitive to motion sickness you may want to skip it.

I'm not sure if the Disneyland Railroad was open the last time you were there, but if it wasn't, HIGHLY recommend riding, as it's always a pleasant experience and they've made a few minor changes to the route to accommodate SWGE. They've also refreshed the Grand Canyon / Primeval World scenes with updated lighting and a few projection effects as well. The holiday versions of Its A Small World and Haunted Mansion are a delight as always.

Enjoy your trip! Me and my gf were actually talking about going to the park next Thursday cause we're both off, so maybe we'll see you there!

westie

I just got back and felt buying the fast pass app was a bit of a scam. After paying the $20 x2 for the option we only got 3 FP's over our 2 day trip. Not sure it was worth it. Also, our counter service meals were better than Steakhouse 55 and Carthay Circle. Go figure!

Communicora

Premium Member
Wow. I had quite the
I just got back and felt buying the fast pass app was a bit of a scam. After paying the $20 x2 for the option we only got 3 FP's over our 2 day trip. Not sure it was worth it. Also, our counter service meals were better than Steakhouse 55 and Carthay Circle. Go figure!
Wow. My experience was quite the opposite. We had just one day in the park and went on nearly 20 attractions, many using MaxPass. It was a great value and I didn't even end up using the photo benefit.

I'm sorry you had such a poor experience.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Can you take something to prevent motion sickness, like Bonine? I get motion sick from my husband's driving and a lot of rides, but I take Bonine and had no problems on MFSR.

Great idea! I may just do that - unfortunately it would mean no alcohol though :p

IMO, Smuggler's run isn't quite as intense as Star Tours, although it can be quite bumpy (depending on who is pilot). Haven't been on FOP, so can't comment. But if you're at all sensitive to motion sickness you may want to skip it.

I'm not sure if the Disneyland Railroad was open the last time you were there, but if it wasn't, HIGHLY recommend riding, as it's always a pleasant experience and they've made a few minor changes to the route to accommodate SWGE. They've also refreshed the Grand Canyon / Primeval World scenes with updated lighting and a few projection effects as well. The holiday versions of Its A Small World and Haunted Mansion are a delight as always.

Enjoy your trip! Me and my gf were actually talking about going to the park next Thursday cause we're both off, so maybe we'll see you there!

FOP is like a more personalized version of Soarin'. I don't quite understand the thought that it's the best ride in the history of WDW. I can't put my finger on what got me dizzy, but it made me much more sick than RnR - and I by no means care for loops or twists in coasters.

I saw the new changes to DLRR and love every part of it! They did an amazing job staying true to the nature of ROA. I do love IASWH and HMH. Thanks for the tips, look forward to possibly running into you at a train station :D

Wow. I had quite the

Wow. My experience was quite the opposite. We had just one day in the park and went on nearly 20 attractions, many using MaxPass. It was a great value and I didn't even end up using the photo benefit.

I'm sorry you had such a poor experience.

I've had the Fastpass Max in the past. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get your money's worth. I love it but I don't love the up-charge, and the fact that I have to use my Sprint service phone to use it. If you are consistent, Maxpass is almost a must have.

SuddenStorm

If you haven't seen it with the projections, Believe... In Holiday Magic is absolutely delightful. A Christmas Fantasy Parade looks great this year as well.

Many buildings have been refreshed... I'm a huge fan of the new Opera House paint job. And while you're in there, check out the wonderful Haunted Mansion exhibit currently in the Disney Gallery.

Also, of course, is the new castle. Of course, many of the changes are obscured by the snow overlay but the lighting is drastically improved.

it's a small world holiday is absolutely fantastic this year, and is worth experiencing. Blew me away. I like it more then I care to admit.

So many small changes... curbs, planters, etc in the last year... see how many you can find, and how they impact the park experience both from an aesthetic, but also functional standpoint... especially at night when crowd control is out in force. I'd be curious to hear your review.

I've heard mixed things... but the Parks Play App has a neat game in the Peter Pan queue that may be worth checking out.

Go to Galaxy's Edge during the day, then again at night. It's stunning at night. Lighting is fantastic throughout.

For food, Lucky Fortune in DCA just got a new menu that I've heard excellent things about.

Maxpass is a must. Be sure to stay on top of it though to get your money's worth.

BrianLo

The secret to MaxPass, which I'm sure most of you are alluding to, is just to refresh it over and over until it randomly spits out what you want. A party of two can each book solo.

If you are booking solo... you can virtually get a return time for your next attraction before you are off your previous one.

SuddenStorm

The secret to MaxPass, which I'm sure most of you are alluding to, is just to refresh it over and over until it randomly spits out what you want. A party of two can each book solo.

If you are booking solo... you can virtually get a return time for your next attraction before you are off your previous one.
Yep! It'll often give fastpass return times for way earlier then it should be if you refresh a few times.

But let's not spread this sacred knowledge outside the forum.

Sailor310

I don't know if it was there a year ago,but I really like the Tropical Hideaway. There's nothing like taking an afternoon break, sitting on the terrace, having a dole whip, and watching the jungle cruise boats come by.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
If you haven't seen it with the projections, Believe... In Holiday Magic is absolutely delightful. A Christmas Fantasy Parade looks great this year as well.

Many buildings have been refreshed... I'm a huge fan of the new Opera House paint job. And while you're in there, check out the wonderful Haunted Mansion exhibit currently in the Disney Gallery.

Also, of course, is the new castle. Of course, many of the changes are obscured by the snow overlay but the lighting is drastically improved.

it's a small world holiday is absolutely fantastic this year, and is worth experiencing. Blew me away. I like it more then I care to admit.

So many small changes... curbs, planters, etc in the last year... see how many you can find, and how they impact the park experience both from an aesthetic, but also functional standpoint... especially at night when crowd control is out in force. I'd be curious to hear your review.

I've heard mixed things... but the Parks Play App has a neat game in the Peter Pan queue that may be worth checking out.

Go to Galaxy's Edge during the day, then again at night. It's stunning at night. Lighting is fantastic throughout.

For food, Lucky Fortune in DCA just got a new menu that I've heard excellent things about.

Maxpass is a must. Be sure to stay on top of it though to get your money's worth.

Thank you! Those are some excellent tips and I'll be sure to share them with my group. I hope I can see the "new" castle, and the Disney gallery is always on my To do list! I will certainly be doing a trip report or park status review when I get back and I'll do my best to be unbiased (with a few exceptions of course haha).

I don't know if it was there a year ago,but I really like the Tropical Hideaway. There's nothing like taking an afternoon break, sitting on the terrace, having a dole whip, and watching the jungle cruise boats come by.

That is one thing you can count on me doing :)

I suggest going to Galaxies Edge and watching the droids roll by. Catch the lightsaber battle Stunt show and before you go home definitely get on the X Wing coaster.

I look forward to viewing the events mentioned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom