GMR - Need of Rehab?

Thunder Fan

Original Poster
On our recent trip to WDW I noticed that the GMR, especially the Alien section either seems to have been toned down or not working. The Alien(s) barely moved from their spots in the wall/ceiling and the ceiling dweller no longer "spit" into the ride car.

Also does anyone think there might be any chance of any of the movies being changed in the ride?

Sledge

Account Suspended
Maybe it's just a childs imagination versus an adult's, but I remember the Alien in the ceiling coming out a lot further back in the day. I'm not sure if they've toned it down or what.

Don't plan on it getting new movies anytime soon. I'd expect an entirely new ride before that happened. :(

TTATraveler

Sledge said:
Maybe it's just a childs imagination versus an adult's, but I remember the Alien in the ceiling coming out a lot further back in the day. I'm not sure if they've toned it down or what.

Don't plan on it getting new movies anytime soon. I'd expect an entirely new ride before that happened. :(

I am pretty sure that they alien did come down further back in the day, but was toned down since it was too intense for children. Now you would never know there was an alient up there. I barely comes down at all.

disneyfromvermo

Needs Updating

I agree that the GMR is in need of a rehab. While fixing the existing effects would be a minimum, it could use a greater update. During our last visit, I looked around our ride vehicle at the other guests. I would guess that, like my wife and I, very few of the movies were recognizable to them. At this point Alien is an "old" movie. While I understand that many of the movies are classics, I am not sure that a ride that references a state of nostalgia that they are unable to recognize is overly effective. While I would not suggest that every two years an overhaul is necessary to include the latest Herbie movie, perhaps there are more "recent classics" that would appeal to a wider range of theme park guests. Before anyone asks, I am almost 40 so my comments can be taken in context.

imagineer boy

I swear, if they replace the great movie ride, I'd be so mad I could spit. Its a fantastic ride.

IMO, its in a dire need of a rehab. The bubbles and fountains in the moon light parade sequence havn't worked for years. Last time I went on it, the viecles sat until the Munchkins were done singing and then moved on instead of leaving while the Munchkins were singing like usual. One of the propellers wasn't working in the casablanca scene, the gangster car doesn't move all the way out of its holding area. Not to mention that the Tarzan scene is so out of place now.

If I could, I would fix those missing effects, replace the Tarzan scene ( POTC, Star Wars, Narnia, Saving Private Ryan, and others could be possibilities ), and add a completely new movie at the end, showcasing some of the more recent good movies.

TTATraveler

I noticed some updated films in the end last week, but I agree that GMR definately needs TLC. It was always my favorite ride in MGM and is one of the last that reminds me of the original MGM Studios. That being said, the ride needed a lot more attention then just upgrading the script. Do they even run the western scene anymore? Lately it seems they only use one car and it stops in the gangster scene.

imagineer boy

TTATraveler said:
I noticed some updated films in the end last week, but I agree that GMR definately needs TLC. It was always my favorite ride in MGM and is one of the last that reminds me of the original MGM Studios. That being said, the ride needed a lot more attention then just upgrading the script. Do they even run the western scene anymore? Lately it seems they only use one car and it stops in the gangster scene.

That's because two different trains leave the station at the same time. The first train goes to the western scene, and the second one goes to the gangster scene. You've just been caught in the second train recently.

TTATraveler

imagineer boy said:
That's because two different trains leave the station at the same time. The first train goes to the western scene, and the second one goes to the gangster scene. You've just been caught in the second train recently.

No, there has only been 1 train.

TTATraveler

imagineer boy said:
As of recent?

Last week. I went on GMR twice, 2 different days and on both days, in the morning and in the middle of the afternoon they were only using one car. The same was the case when I was there in December 2004. They were only using 1 car then too. I really wanted to see the western scene but couldn't.

TTATraveler

imagineer boy said:
There were two cars last time I was there in August 2005. Could've been cutbacks during those days you went.

Yeah MGM was slow, I walked onto RNRC, TOT had a posted time of 10 minutes, and they weren't using FP at LMA. I guess that is the price you pay for going at a slower time of the year.

bassman

so when does everyone visit WDW nowadays, the last time i went in august it was packed.there were 1h30mins/2hrs wait for things like splash,big thunder and space and dont get me started on IASW.
i go in september and its dead quiet.walk on times for almost everything

DisneyMarg

We were there about 3 weeks ago, and both trains were running. BUT, the first train was empty and it only had two cm's - one doing the spiel and another one listening. We guessed that one cm was in training. It was pretty cool.

Ours had the gangster, by the way.

Slipknot

imagineer boy said:
Last time I went on it, the viecles sat until the Munchkins were done singing and then moved on instead of leaving while the Munchkins were singing like usual.

That is because of the vehicles before you in load and finale. Depends on when they both leave and when the red X turns into a green circle. If you leave before that, you mess up and the managers get peeved. :)

Slipknot

DisneyMarg said:
We were there about 3 weeks ago, and both trains were running. BUT, the first train was empty and it only had two cm's - one doing the spiel and another one listening. We guessed that one cm was in training. It was pretty cool.

Ours had the gangster, by the way.

You are correct.

BTW, as of yesterday: out of the 5 sets, we had 4 that had an A and a B (two cars).

And in response to the OP, the ceiling dweller never spit, but it did come out farther... that is until it scared the carp out of a little boy, and its hand fell off into the tram and someone took it... :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom