Gluten free dining?

heyfrank

Original Poster
Hello everyone, I recently have found out I have a gluten sensitivity - headaches after eating it, and sometimes my actual sinus's act up as well as stomach pains, and lets not forget the "hangover" the next morning.

Anyways -- I'm curious if anyone has encountered any dining issues with being gluten free or if the restaurants and park food is gluten free? I haven't gone since I was 5, so it's well over 20 years ago, and we leave in a week or two for Disney World again, so trying to prepare myself! Thanks!

Diesel Dan

I have been Gluten Free (Celiac) for the past 14 years. I have been to WDW about every year since then so I have eaten 100 plus meals in that time. I have eaten at Resorts, Parks, Disney Springs and quick service, sit down and buffets. Everywhere I have gone to eat they have been tremendous!!! All the eateries on the property go out of their way to be careful to meet my needs. Make sure you tell your server your allergy and someone will take care of you. By far the treatment I get at WDW is as good if not better than any eatery I go to here at home. Fun travels!

Ted Daggett

My mother-in-law has celiac, and is gluten free, and we took her to WDW a few years ago. At every restaurant before we ordered, we told the waitress (or the cashier at the QS restaurants) that she was gluten free. At every table service restaurant the waitress would go back and get the chef, and the chef would come out and sit with my mother-in-law to see what she wanted. At Whispering Canyon Cafe, the chef asked her, "what do you want to eat tonight? I'll make you anything you want." Everyone was very accommodating and my mother-in-law had no issues whatsoever.

dreamfinder

Note it on any ADRs you make, and mention it at the host stand when you check in for your meal. All TS locations will either have an allergy menu specifying what meals are good for which allergies or the chef should come out and talk to you. Any CS location should have a binder of ingredients used in every item they serve, just ask to see it. Plenty of options, it just may take a while for some meals to come as the CS location will need to make it separate.

spoole79

I have a gluten sensitivity (allergy) as well and I can tell you Disney goes out of their way to accommodate guests with food allergies. Like everyone else has said, make them aware of your allergy when you arrive and again with cast members at quick service, buffets & table service places. I can't remember about quick service places but I know Table service restaurants have an allergy friendly menu to order off of with plenty of options. If you like, they (the chefs) can walk you through buffets and show you what is gluten free and what is not. At Chef Mickey's, the chef even made me some gluten free Mickey waffles!! Have a great trip!!!

Figgy1

Premium Member
I have a gluten sensitivity (allergy) as well and I can tell you Disney goes out of their way to accommodate guests with food allergies. Like everyone else has said, make them aware of your allergy when you arrive and again with cast members at quick service, buffets & table service places. I can't remember about quick service places but I know Table service restaurants have an allergy friendly menu to order off of with plenty of options. If you like, they (the chefs) can walk you through buffets and show you what is gluten free and what is not. At Chef Mickey's, the chef even made me some gluten free Mickey waffles!! Have a great trip!!!
Almost every qs place now has an allergy safe menu.

coachwnh

Hello everyone, I recently have found out I have a gluten sensitivity - headaches after eating it, and sometimes my actual sinus's act up as well as stomach pains, and lets not forget the "hangover" the next morning.

Anyways -- I'm curious if anyone has encountered any dining issues with being gluten free or if the restaurants and park food is gluten free? I haven't gone since I was 5, so it's well over 20 years ago, and we leave in a week or two for Disney World again, so trying to prepare myself! Thanks!
Disney is about the easiest place in the world to eat with food allergies, including being GF. They were way ahead of others 10 years ago when we first started visiting several times a year. Its amazing how many items are GF on regular menus, even fried items! Have a great trip!

djpoore94

I totally agree with everyone here about how easy it is to be GF at Disney. DH has been GF for just over a year and we were concerned out our two trips to Disney this year. The concern was for nothing! We noted the request on each of our ADRs and every time we checked in for a meal the Cast Member verified the allergy and brought a special allergy menu for him. He was always asked if he wanted to speak to the chef, but we never did because he was comfortable ordering off the allergy menu. I even shared some of the GF meals with him and they were phenomenal!

correcaminos

Almost every qs place now has an allergy safe menu.
For the big allergies at least. If you have a more obscure one they still are fantastic with you. In general Disney takes allergies/intolerances very seriously! Only once have I had an issue with them bringing me something I told them I couldn't have and I just dealt with it on my own - I was annoyed though because they knew I couldn't have it (the chef knew at least). Every other time they were fantastic! I have a great story about how no one knew that what I cannot have was a part of a meal and when I saw it I quickly just took it off of my plate and gave it to my husband with his utensils. It had not touched my food and I felt safe doing so (not a life threatening issue for me so simply removing and not having my food touch where it was is not a big deal). The server noticed and apologized left and right. The manager came out and apologized profusely that the ingredient was not listed on the menu. We were treated amazingly for a small mistake. I know for some the mistake could be life threatening, so their reaction was appropriate for others. They really are great and take things so seriously there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom