"Glow with the Show" hats and WDW

MissM

Ok, that's actually pretty neat. *cough* Thing is, this is a lot nice than being stuck next to five hundred kids with frantic blinking toys during Wishes because then, it's just chaos. At least the glow ears are in sync and blend with the show. It's less jarring that way.

What's the tech on these things? Because it's easy to turn all of something on or off at the same time, but it looks like there's some range of colors and such while they're all one. So they must be able to target groups of ears or something.

Either way, it's kinda cool. :p

Avenger117

I saw some video of the ears during the Aladdin scene of World of Color and they looked really cool. I'm curious how they would be used if they come to WDW.

Sweet Melissa

I retract my previous comment about Glow with the Show being a distraction. The videos I've seen haven't sold me on the ears, but I bet the impact is much more significant in person.

dreamfinder

My question beyond the how do they know which sets of ears are where since it looks like they can indeed target small groups, (wear your aluminum foil underneath your hat to prevent them from tracking you through the entire park....) is how much does the effect diminish when you only have a handful of people with the ears. A crowd that large I would assume is either due to everyone wanting them because they were new, or because they gave them out for free. When only a few dozen or so of the ears are in the viewing area, does it just become a complete distraction at that point? Outside of that it has some potential.

MissMorrow

I like them! I wonder what it'll look like on a normal night when there's no sea of hats.

If they bring them to WDW, I think it would be nice if they interacted with all of the nighttime shows. Make it more worth the $$.

tecowdw

Cool. I noticed in the frst video there was one that stayed on after all the others stopped. There's always a dud somewhere! I'd want my money back for that one - or at least an exchange.
;)

tecowdw

I'm pretty sure since they are clear ears that when the show is not happening they probably change colors as your walking around with them...I do wonder if it has LED lighting in it?
I beleive they were given out free for the pre-opening special events (?).
The question is how much they will retail for. And while they "interact" at the parks, how does the lighting work when at home? Is there a "mode" switch or something?
Don't everyone deny you'll be wearing it at home! ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My question beyond the how do they know which sets of ears are where since it looks like they can indeed target small groups, (wear your aluminum foil underneath your hat to prevent them from tracking you through the entire park....) is how much does the effect diminish when you only have a handful of people with the ears. A crowd that large I would assume is either due to everyone wanting them because they were new, or because they gave them out for free. When only a few dozen or so of the ears are in the viewing area, does it just become a complete distraction at that point? Outside of that it has some potential.

Looking at the videos I have only spotted two cases where all the hats were not in sequence. In one case they seem to be lighting up with random colors, in which case the controller would just be sending a command to the hats to pick a random color. The other case is where they seem to light up based on the distance from the stage. The only way I can think they could do that is if the electronics in the hat can detect the signal strength to know how far way from the stage they are.

Cosmic Commando

I've heard the number thrown around that they can have as little as 1 in 20 hats do something different than the rest of the group. So, they send out some kind of short-range signal... radio? bluetooth? and I would bet each hat has a permanent random number 1-20 assigned to it. The signal sends out a data stream with instructions for what every hat 1-20 should be doing. Then you can change it however you want: 16's are yellow, everyone else is blue; 1-10 one ear white, 11-20 red... etc.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I've heard the number thrown around that they can have as little as 1 in 20 hats do something different than the rest of the group. So, they send out some kind of short-range signal... radio? bluetooth? and I would bet each hat has a permanent random number 1-20 assigned to it. The signal sends out a data stream with instructions for what every hat 1-20 should be doing. Then you can change it however you want: 16's are yellow, everyone else is blue; 1-10 one ear white, 11-20 red... etc.

This idea works fine for controlling random sets of hats, the more interesting part is how they controls groups of hats in a speicifc area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom