Glory Road

careship

Original Poster
Former college basketball coach Don Haskins had been approached before about doing a movie on his 1966 Texas Western team, the first to win a national title with five black starters.

But when Walt Disney Pictures came to him a few years ago, Haskins did not hesitate. "I always liked their movies and I thought they were movies kids could watch," said Haskins, who coached 38 years at the school now known as the University of Texas at El Paso.

The movie, "Glory Road," will star Ben Affleck as Haskins. Filming is tentatively scheduled to begin this year. Haskins, 74, said he simply picked the best players for the team that beat Kentucky's heavily favored -- and all-white -- basketball powerhouse 72-65.

jojoyner55

Um...
Fine but I would be much more happy if this was an announcement that somebody was making Robert Heinlein's "Glory Road". Great book. Unfortunately, nobody has yet done a good adaptation of a Heinlein book (he refused to sell rights during his life). Oh well...

careship

Original Poster
Was just sharing what I found. Nothing more, nothing less. Thought it was interesting...it can never be as good as Miracle.....now that was a movie.

careship

Original Poster
Ben Affleck ends talks with Disney

Ben Affleck (news) has ended negotiations with Walt Disney Pictures to play Texas Western basketball coach Don Haskins in the movie "Glory Road."

"He's not going to do it," Ken Sunshine, a spokesman for Affleck, said Wednesday. "We're not going to get into any details. ... It will be a good project for somebody."

Haskin's 1966 team was the first ever to win a national title with five black starters.

"We're looking for other actors," said Claire Cooper, the movie's unit publicist. "We still plan to start production in August."

Haskins, who coached 38 years at the school now known as the University of Texas at El Paso, said last week he'd heard Affleck had yet to sign his deal.

"I'm disappointed, but I know they'll find the right person," Haskins said.

Haskins has always been a reluctant hero about his role in changing sports history, saying he simply picked the best players for the 72-65 win over Kentucky's heavily favored and all-white basketball powerhouse.

After the victory, universities all over the country increased their recruiting of black players.

Trade journals reported Wednesday that Disney is considering Josh Lucas, who has appeared in Ang Lee's "Hulk," "Sweet Home Alabama" and "A Beautiful Mind. Cooper said she couldn't confirm that Lucas is under consideration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom