Giving up disney passes for universal?

MickeyLuv'r

A one day ticket to UNI/IOA a great idea!
Bonus- just like WDW, Universal allows folks to upgrade their tickets! So OP only has to commit to a one day ticket, and if you decide it isn't for you, then don't upgrade.

The only small caution is to make sure you upgrade that day. I couldn't tell you the EXCET rules of how ong they allow an uprade, but I have upgraded several tickets.

I'll add, my universal ticket upgrades have been much easier than my WDW ticket upgrades. WDW ticket upgrades are often a real hassle these days. Just Like WDW , Universal has a GS line outside the park, and one inside the park. The inside line is often shorter.

BASS

I recently went to Universal for the first time in over a decade. Disney is more of an experience. Universal is more of a theme park. (If that makes any sense.)

Disney does kind of have an immersive bubble. There is so much to do and see, you can legitimately stay there for a week and enjoy different experiences. Universal, on the other hand, felt more like a "weekend" park. The IP at Universal is far less attractive than Disney.

Conversely, Universal is easier than Disney. The lines are less. And with the fast pass (whatever Universal calls it), we were able to ride nearly everything, some things more than once. That's a nice perk.

If there was a particular character or ride that your kids might be interested in at Universal, it might be worthwhile to cater to that experience. If not, IMO, Disney far outweighs Universal.

MickeyLuv'r

I'm not sure why someone who has never been to both Universal and WDW would comment here, but okay.
I though figmentfan423 gave a great list.

Certainly WDW has a special kind of nostalgia, but WOW! HP is very well done! Diagon Alley, especially, looks just like the movie set.

Another difference we have noticed is that the Universal rides are little more intense, the wet rides are more wet, there's a little more spin, and a few are more scary then what you get in the Magic Kingdom. That said, the detail level is very high.

Universal AP's cost less than WDW, especially come renewal time (at least current pricing). Some Universal AP's, depending on which you buy, include relliable park discounts.

Like WDW, Universal offers over 100 places to eat. There's much variety, in flavors and price points. Like WDW, some low cost options are burgers and fried foods. But...overall, I'd say the food is costs and is better quality at Universal. If you want super low cost, Citywalk has a Burger King. If you want quality QS food, at relatively low cost, the new food court at Aventura has an Asian noodle bowl- make your own - that is super. You get to pick exactly your veggies, meat and soup/stir fry. WAY tastier, healthier, and more interesting than what the WDW mods offer, in my opinion. About the only exception: the QS option at the Hard Rock isn't all that great.

Aventura hotel itself is VERY millennial!

Overall, WDW is also very good with special needs dining and food allergies.

If you want a peaceful resort, Sapphire Falls is very nice- though no Express Pass.
If you want EP, I suggest Royal Pacific - lowest price of the deluxes, fun theme, and the courtyard is very pretty with orchids. It is also a relaxing resort. HRH is fun, but very Rock and Roll (not quiet), with a strong perfume smell.

imperius

Not really. There isn't a single thing at UNI that compels me to even set foot there. CityWalk is an ugly existence compared to the immaculate Disney Springs. The only thing I will give to USO is Volcano Bay, which was a great time.
LOL. This is hilarious.

Disstevefan1

I'm not sure why someone who has never been to both Universal and WDW would comment here, but okay.
I though figmentfan423 gave a great list.

Certainly WDW has a special kind of nostalgia, but WOW! HP is very well done! Diagon Alley, especially, looks just like the movie set.

Another difference we have noticed is that the Universal rides are little more intense, the wet rides are more wet, there's a little more spin, and a few are more scary then what you get in the Magic Kingdom. That said, the detail level is very high.

Universal AP's cost less than WDW, especially come renewal time (at least current pricing). Some Universal AP's, depending on which you buy, include relliable park discounts.

Like WDW, Universal offers over 100 places to eat. There's much variety, in flavors and price points. Like WDW, some low cost options are burgers and fried foods. But...overall, I'd say the food is costs and is better quality at Universal. If you want super low cost, Citywalk has a Burger King. If you want quality QS food, at relatively low cost, the new food court at Aventura has an Asian noodle bowl- make your own - that is super. You get to pick exactly your veggies, meat and soup/stir fry. WAY tastier, healthier, and more interesting than what the WDW mods offer, in my opinion. About the only exception: the QS option at the Hard Rock isn't all that great.

Aventura hotel itself is VERY millennial!

Overall, WDW is also very good with special needs dining and food allergies.

If you want a peaceful resort, Sapphire Falls is very nice- though no Express Pass.
If you want EP, I suggest Royal Pacific - lowest price of the deluxes, fun theme, and the courtyard is very pretty with orchids. It is also a relaxing resort. HRH is fun, but very Rock and Roll (not quiet), with a strong perfume smell.
I agree on all points. I also agree the counter service at the Leaky Cauldron in HP is high quality.

ChanceH

This can't be accurate, just can't.........

The ambiance and mood at Universal is aggressive, noisy and "in your face" compared to Disney.

I challenge anyone to walk around Disney Springs, then walk through CityWalk. At Universal The music and other sounds are aggressive, hip/edgy, high energy complete with video screens. The building facades have more colorfully bumped out props, more neon and flashing lights.
The 2 parks are high energy, aggressive as well. Think Hulk thundering by once one makes his way past Port of Entry or having that noisy Ghostbusters car drive by or some Beatlejuice dude with a megaphone yapping on the walkways.
I think Uni is Waaaaaayyyy more relaxing

Walt Disney1955

I would never cancel my Disney AP for Universal unless someone had a gun to my head. I've lived in Orlando for 4 years and I have never felt the desire to visit that place, and I likely never will.

You are missing out on a great park...........both of them.

My husband and I have a 8 year old girl and 10 year old boy. My son just reached 54"(big coaster height). We have had Disney passes most of their lives. They don't even remember their first visit. The crowds are starting to bother us a bit and Galaxies edge won't help. They have never been to universal. We are thinking of letting our passes expire and trying universal for a year. We don't have the time or money to do both and we can't afford to to pay for 1 day passes to universal bc we would spread the cost of passes over the year with the same initial payment. I don't seem to have the heart to let Disney go and my kids have mixed feelings too. We want new experiences but our families traditions are built around Disney. We stay on property from time to time and celebrate birthdays there. Has anyone switched? Did you enjoy the break or miss the magic? My son has high functioning autism, is universal a good fit in anyone's experience? I'm running out of time to decide, help! Sorry if you've heard this before but times and parks change.

I'll start by saying that I don't think autism is a deal breaker here. If your child has loved Disney and dealt with that than Universal should be no problem. One good thing is the crowds won't be as big. Some people are talking about a more "relaxed" atmosphere compared to Disney. I get what they are saying because they are probably talking about less crowds, which is true. The lines are never as long, even on the big name rides and it is very easy to navigate your day there. When the park opens hit the back of the park and circle back to the front. This way you will get on the good rides at the back with a 5 minute wait. Last year when we went to Islands of Adventure we were there until the park closed at 6pm and we hit Spiderman twice, Kong three times and Jurassic Park twice. Lots of time to spare too. Generally speaking I think Islands of Adventure is the better park compared to Universal. Lots of theming in both but Islands has the Marvel land, Jurassic Park area and Toon Lagoon all themed wonderfully. Very Disney-esque, I think. Not to mention Dr. Suess land is done well also.

The knock is that they really ought to do something about where Sinbad was located. Not a lot in that area but right above it is the Potter area which is themed wonderfully too.

There are drawbacks to Universal too. Only E.T. is the original ride from when it opened in 1990. I think there are a few more things still open from when Islands of Adventure opened in 1999 though. So there is that lack of nostalgia that Disney has. But in all honesty, outside of Disney parks there is no better theme park experience in the world than Universal. I have no idea how people can go to Orlando all of the time and just bypass this wonderful place, I never understand that.

MickeyLuv'r

I agree on all points. I also agree the counter service at the Leaky Cauldron in HP is high quality.
Yes! I wish both the Leaky Cauldron and Three Broomsticks would each add a few more menu options, but we love both. The décor is fun at both. The back patio of TB is also a relaxing spot when the weather is nice.

At LC, we always get the bangers and mash. While the sausage is just okay, the sides make the entrée.

At TB, I suggest the pulled chicken salad off the tiny second menu that is only by the registers. It is SO good. We usually share a variety of platters and have liked everything we've tried. About the only thing I wasn't 100% on was the giant platter. The platter foods are fine, it's just a little too big for us.

We also usually make a point to stop by Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor.

Those are our most common stops in the parks. I'm curious to see the new QS by the entrance of US.

A very close offsite option is the Whole Foods plaza. While not super inexpensive, the WF has an extensive array of prepared hot and cold foods. They have everything rom brick oven, pizza, to fresh seafood salads (try the key lime/garlic Shrimp!), soups, BBQ buffet, sushi, large section of vegetarian options, large salad bar, bakery, coffee bar, fresh juice bar, plus full grocery store of packaged items. If that's not enough, the rest of he plaza had several other QS and TS places.

Last, i'm going to give a big shoutout to the Residence Inn that is very close to Universal (Major boulevard). when I stayed there the place was super clean (new?), the staff was super nice, the breakfast decent, attractive, and just the best hotel room layout ever! We don't usually cook, but it is always convenient to have a real fridge for leftovers a case of water, and the ability to freeze a cold pack. Our room had plenty of convenient electric outlets, and I just loved the subtle little nightlight in the bathroom. I even liked the parking, and 24 hour hot beverages. As much as I love Express Pass, and Sapphire Falls, the RI is just a super option. If only it had a more exciting pool. We didn't use the shuttle, but we saw it in the parking lot many times. It is also within walking distance to the parks.

NickPytlinski

myself and wife had a multi park pass for universal and covered most of both parks in a 1 day.
we went back a 2nd day to make sure we had seen everything and not missed something tbh, also to re-ride our favourites.

we dont have annual passes but would never give that up for universal.

like most have said, disney feels like a whole lots of experiences, universals is a theme parks.

just weigh up want you want.

both are fantastic though :)

Kingtut

My husband and I have a 8 year old girl and 10 year old boy. My son just reached 54"(big coaster height). We have had Disney passes most of their lives. They don't even remember their first visit. The crowds are starting to bother us a bit and Galaxies edge won't help. They have never been to universal. We are thinking of letting our passes expire and trying universal for a year. We don't have the time or money to do both and we can't afford to to pay for 1 day passes to universal bc we would spread the cost of passes over the year with the same initial payment. I don't seem to have the heart to let Disney go and my kids have mixed feelings too. We want new experiences but our families traditions are built around Disney. We stay on property from time to time and celebrate birthdays there. Has anyone switched? Did you enjoy the break or miss the magic? My son has high functioning autism, is universal a good fit in anyone's experience? I'm running out of time to decide, help! Sorry if you've heard this before but times and parks change.
We do not live in FL but several years ago we dropped Disney AP's for UNI AP's. With our special needs daughter - the lower level of advanced planning required made Universal a much better fit for a visit than Disney. Also, UNI staff at the rides seemed more willing to help/accommodate our needs. This may be due to just the lower crowd levels or a more laid back front line management approach. In defense of Disney CM's it is difficult to deal with individuals when you are screaming for people to move and trying not to get trampled at the same time. Depending on the triggers for you son - UNI is louder/ brighter/more flashing so you need to take that into account.

Orangeanna

Original Poster
Let me explain that we have weekday select passes and we've had them for years so our passes roll over with the down payment figured in. It is our entertainment to the exclusion of movies and such. It's a great deal for us as it includes 4 parks and parking( which universal would not). We get a lot for our money and spending 2 or 3,000 dollars for 3 or 4 days in addition to Disney would be ridiculous for us. It's one or the other. Fastpasses are getting harder to get and crowds are really getting bad. I just can't decide. Also my kids have many after school activities so there just isn't time for both. My husband works weekends. We would get a little more summer time with universal because of block out dates. My kids friends have universal and are really talking it up.

monykalyn

If you want EP, I suggest Royal Pacific - lowest price of the deluxes, fun theme
Not always the lowest-there are times Portofino is lowest.
parking( which universal would not)
depends on the pass-which only one of you would need to get if you usually visit together. also consider that while the premier for Unviersal may be more, the highest level give free valet parking, higher discount and EP after 4 built in, so if you do usually go later on weekends or after school then you will be able to get on rides pretty quick.

We are out of state Universal passholders who gave up our Disney AP's-we were all getting a bit burnt out on Disney as kids got older-especially the crowds/strollers/scooters -although I am sure at some point we will get them again.

Paper straw fan

When we went a few weeks ago Portofino was maybe $20 more a night (FL resident) so we said why not, we hadn’t stayed there in a couple years. I’ve taken my parents to Hard Rock and RP and they actually preferred Royal Pac. It’s typically the least expensive, Portofino has a very lovely Italian theme and is the largest of the express pass resorts, but the rooms in all 3 are fairly similar.

Portofino is probably the nicest, but farthest away from parks/Citywalk, Hard Rock is the oldest resort and arguably least appealing decor, but it’s an incredibly short walk. Roy Pac is kind of the middle in both resort atmosphere and commute to the parks (albeit with mostly least appealing room view, but it’s really not a deal breaker as there’s no ‘parking lot view’

StarWarsGirl

I'm going to just leave a few things to consider here for you. My brother has autism too, so maybe just some questions to ask.

1. How well does he handle more intense rides? The roller coasters are more intense at Uni.
  2. How well does he handle change? Is WDW part of your routine, and would upsetting that routine cause issues? We're in your boat of doing one or the other, and he just would not tolerate missing WDW.
  3. Would you be disappointed at missing SWGE for the year? Or is Harry Potter more of a draw? For my brother, Harry Potter means nothing, but he's obviously gotten an education from his sister on Star Wars.
  4. Are the crowds at WDW impacting you to the point where it's causing anxiety with your son? Would going someplace new help, or would it cause more anxiety?
  5. Would you be able to commit to multiple trips to Uni? IMO, an AP for any park is not worth it unless you are going on multiple trips.

These are questions only you can answer. When you've met one kid with autism, you've met one kid, so I don't want to form an opinion for you based on my experiences. I hope the questions help you make your decision.

I am Timmy

My oldest has high functioning autism with pediatric bipolar disorder. He will be 27 next month. We've been going to Orlando for years, even though we live in Wa. state. We used to go to other parks, but slowly one by one, they dropped off the to do list. And we've been to DL and DLP. However, his happy place is Orlando, so that's where we go. We are also a family that loves movies - and while we are bigtime Disney fans, we enjoy Uni because it covers other movies we're fans of. Been taking my 2 boys there since they were tiny (my younger DS will be 24 in July). We always start our trips in Uni and end them in Disney. So, if your family likes movies, Uni might be a good fit. Have they seen the Harry Potter movies? Uni lets you dress up! SO much fun, but can get expensive initially if you buy the whole shebang (I budgeted for it). We take them with us now to wear, so thankfully you only have to buy them once. Lots of people wear their house robes through the whole park, and you can ride with them on. Bit of a perk, that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom