Giving a special CM a small gift?

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
I researched this before I posted and just wanted to ask because this isn’t just a random thank you to a CM.
We have a CM that has been so special and good to us over the years, that is retiring soon. Over the years, they have always been so helpful and went above and beyond many times! We found something (under 25 bucks) that is something special that relates to their retirement. My question is can they keep it? We have always given a special thank you email but we wanted to do a little something more if it would be okay for them to accept it? Not above saying I will meet you in the parking lot if you can’t lol. It seems like something small, after years of such great interactions it would be okay though?
TIA!

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
I don't think they will have a problem with it. Its really cool that they made that great of a impression on you.
I think that she would appreciate it, just not sure what the rules are, for a non tip position with Disney. :-/ And, met many wonderful CMs over the years but never had anybody we appreciated as much as this one. :) Always, remembers us, and goes so above and beyond.

The Pho

We’ve given gifts to cast members a few times over the years. They always try the “you shouldn’t have” and “I can’t” but they always wind up taking them. It depends on where their position is. Somebody that has a readily accessible locker/ break room will be able to take a gift more easily. If they work at the front gate or on loading a ride it’ll be a little harder and you may have to meet them later.

When they go far enough, they very much deserve that extra thank you. Commendations can only go so far.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Normally they are restricted from accepting anything from guests other than a appreciation card from guests. We always visit with printed appreciation cards to hand out for those who excel at their job. With your CM retiring I think he/she would appreciate the gesture and accept the gift. Its a different situation and something to treasure along with their memories of giving you excellent service over the years. How thoughtful of you. ;););)

tallica

Disney policy is CMs can accept gifts that valued at 75 and under. I know family and friends that work for Disney and this policy is inconsistently enforced. It varies from area to area and day to day within the same area. This is one area that needs to be clearly defined and universally followed, so gracious people can show their appreciation to deserving CMs.

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am hoping since she is retiring that it will be allowed for to accept/keep. It isn’t anything that much - just a way for us to let it be known how much they were appreciated and how much they will be missed! :)

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
As a cast member, I often tell people the easiest gift is to give is something you can easily slip into your pocket. Some of my favorite gifts I've gotten from guests are just some candy in a small ziplock bag.
This is big but not expensive, that is kind of what had me worried about it to begin with. Well not big, but gift bag size. I can’t exactly hide it. I will try to give it when not that many people are around so as not to draw attention. I will also tell her before I bring it so that if I need to give it on break or after their shift if I need to. I know she is going to appreciate the thought behind the gift. It was just too perfect as soon as we saw it!

SirWillow

This is big but not expensive, that is kind of what had me worried about it to begin with. Well not big, but gift bag size. I can’t exactly hide it. I will try to give it when not that many people are around so as not to draw attention. I will also tell her before I bring it so that if I need to give it on break or after their shift if I need to. I know she is going to appreciate the thought behind the gift. It was just too perfect as soon as we saw it!

If it's not something that can fit in their pocket, you're probably better off giving it to them when they aren't working if at all possible. Cast members can accept small non-cash gifts with no problem. But if it's larger it can cause an issue when they leave because they have to go through a security check point to make sure they aren't taking anything unauthorized from the parks.

I would suggest, since it sounds like something that is large enough that it might catch security's eye, that if you can arrange to give it to them when they aren't working that might be best, just to ensure there aren't any issues.

SirWillow

Fun tip: The general company training is they are often trained to say no to the gift (or tip) three times, after which it becomes rude. So if they say no twice, the third time should do the trick! ;)

This is true. But the company policy also says that if they do accept a cash tip and they are in a "non-tipping" position that they are supposed to turn that cash tip in to their managers and have them decide what to do with it- e.g. a department party cash pool. Most of the time my supervisors at Disney turned away and told me they didn't see anything, but there were a couple of times where they took it and added to to a party fund or a GKTW donation.

Generally if you want to bless or thank a cast member, don't do cash. Do something small, inexpensive, that can fit into a pocket. Or give it to them when they aren't working.

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
If it's not something that can fit in their pocket, you're probably better off giving it to them when they aren't working if at all possible. Cast members can accept small non-cash gifts with no problem. But if it's larger it can cause an issue when they leave because they have to go through a security check point to make sure they aren't taking anything unauthorized from the parks.

I would suggest, since it sounds like something that is large enough that it might catch security's eye, that if you can arrange to give it to them when they aren't working that might be best, just to ensure there aren't any issues.
It is a resort CM. So maybe that would make it easier? I will definitely tell her we have a little retirement gift before I just bring the bag in, that way she can decide when we can give it to her.

jloucks

Way too much thought for a $25 trinket.

$250 item maybe, but $25? At that price point, it is only the thought that counts, and as such, even if the item is confiscated, it still counts.

I cannot image that the CM's keepers at that tier of d-badger tho, you should be fine.

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Way too much thought for a $25 trinket.

$250 item maybe, but $25? At that price point, it is only the thought that counts, and as such, even if the item is confiscated, it still counts.

I cannot image that the CM's keepers at that tier of d-badger tho, you should be fine.
Agreed, the thought behind it, I think is what counts. I put a lot of thought into things, just my way. No point doing anything, without it, to me. ;)

WDWBusDriver

In my role, (a non-tipped position), I am unable to accept anything with a monetary value. Handcrafted items, such as thank you cards, pins (yes, people make pins, i have one with a bus on it), or other small items can be received and kept. (Handcrafted items, even thank you cards, mean so much more to a Cast Member than purchased items, however any gift is appreciated immensely.)
Items of monetary value, such as gift cards, cash, checks, items not considered handcrafted, or non-one-of-a-kind items all must be turned into a leader which then become property of the Disney Company.

As far as giving a gift to a retiring Cast Member, I would suggest waiting to give them a gift after they are retired and no longer working with the Company. At that point it's like giving a friend a gift, they are welcome to keep it if they please.

Yelloweaver

My daughter has become friends with a cast member at Epcot. We communicate when not in the parks and keep in touch often.
On our trip last August she took a painting that she had made for the CM with us to bring to her at her job. She was so touched and she really loved receiving it!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom