Give Kids the World announces extended closure due to covid-19

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
KISSIMMEE, Fla. (June 9, 2020) - Give Kids The World Village, the Central Florida-based nonprofit that fulfills wishes for critically ill children and their families, will be closed for an undetermined period of time due to unforeseen circumstances directly related to COVID-19.

As part of the closure, the organization will be forced to lay off 86% of its staff effective Saturday, June 27, 2020. A small team will remain to ensure the safety and security of the Village and to prepare for their eventual re-opening.

Despite their closure, the organization will still be fulfilling their mission to never turn a child away. “While we’re closed, we will still be working with our wish granting partners to fulfill rush wishes,” said Pamela Landwirth, Give Kids The World Village President & CEO in an open letter to their constituents.

“I can promise you that I will work tirelessly to find a way to reopen our beloved Village as soon as possible. The health and well-being of our precious wish children is our number one priority as well as the priority of our theme park and wish granting partners,” said Landwirth.

The organization will need the support of donors and community partners more than ever. If you’d like to donate to help fulfill a rush wish, or to assist with our re-opening funds, you can do so at www.givekidstheworld.org.

LF85

Very sad.. Good to see they’re still going to work with the kids during this difficult time for the organization.

Rider

More details from OS: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/cor...0200609-w63qjheqczagdgcmein7vhumay-story.html

In an announcement on social media, Give Kids The World president and CEO Pamela Landwirth said the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which pays for travel and other expenses for many of the 8,000 families who stay at the village each year, had “unexpectedly” decided not to schedule additional wishes that involve travel or large groups until a vaccine for the potentially deadly virus is in wide use.
“We support their decision,” Landwirth said in an interview. “It is heart-wrenching, but the safety and well-being and health of our very vulnerable children and families are our utmost priorities. And at this point, we just don’t know when it will be safe for them to travel, when it will be safe to be in places with large groups.”

Disney Dad 3000

Was saddened to see this yesterday. Having volunteered there and done a few fundraisers for them, such a tremendous place. Somehow end up chatting with someone in line on every trip to WDW who stayed there as a kid or went with extended family, took their kid, etc. Hopefully they are able to get all of their staff or most of them back when able.

PeoplemoverTTA

They have been running some awesome virtual fundraisers if you’re interested in supporting.

Last month, they did a Zoom meeting with Jodi Benson, Paige O’Hara, Linda Larkin and Irene Bedard. You could submit questions and they were just delightful. They also sold personalized autographs - 100% of all proceeds went to charity (and all of the princesses did virtual Wishes for kids too - they are all lovely). It was only $20 and was a very cool way to support GtkW.

This Saturday, they’re doing another one with many voice actors from Toy Story films (including John Ratzenberger). I am so excited, and I hope they can continue to do these great virtual events. I will continue donating when I can!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom