GF or Contemporary

disneymom08

I got our package estimates from our travel agent and there is only about a $125 difference between the GF and the Contemporary. I am having the hardest time making a decision on which to book for our first family trip in May. I will be traveling with my husband, our 3 year old daughter and my parents in 2 rooms. It seemed like the GF had more to do for kids but I don't think I can stomach those flowered walls. Neither seems much closer to the MK than the other. Any suggestions. Thanks.

LoriMistress

I know there will be some construction going on around the Contemporary. I know they're changing several rooms into Family Suites and are updating a few of the restaurants.

Upvote 0

disneymom08

Original Poster
You can walk from the Contemporary to the MK, not so from GF .

The Unofficial Guide actually says it is faster on the monorail to get from the MK to the GF (6 minutes) than the Contemporary (18 minutes). I realize you would have to go through the main building to the outer buildings of the GF that was why I figured it was a wash as far as convenience.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I would say that it's a toss up as far as convenience/proximity.

While the Contemporary has a certain draw to the imagination, I believe that you and your parents would probably enjoy the GF more.

Remember that you probably won't be spending a whole lot of time in the room.

Upvote 0

disneymom08

Original Poster
I had heard that they eliminated the 'kid stuff' from the Contemporary like the kiddie pool and the playgrounds. Is there anything else to entertain the little ones at the Contemporary on those off days or are we better off at the GF?

Upvote 0

happymom52003

I have not stayed at either of them, but have spent alot of time at both of them. It would be a tough choice for me. I think the GF is beautiful and I love the feel of the place, I like the pool area better, and I think my kids would it enjoy it more there. But I really like the idea of being able to walk to and from the MK from the Contemporay. But if I had to make the choice, I think I would choose GF.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I had heard that they eliminated the 'kid stuff' from the Contemporary like the kiddie pool and the playgrounds. Is there anything else to entertain the little ones at the Contemporary on those off days or are we better off at the GF?
You could always play toss the munchkin over the passing monorail game.....:lookaroun

You can walk from the Contemporary to the MK, not so from GF .
Is it because there is no way to get over that service canal between the Poly and MK?

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You could always play toss the munchkin over the passing monorail game.....:lookaroun

Is it because there is no way to get over that service canal between the Poly and MK?

The service canal between the GF and the MK where the Electrical Water Pageant is stored.

Upvote 0

kennygman

The Unofficial Guide actually says it is faster on the monorail to get from the MK to the GF (6 minutes) than the Contemporary (18 minutes). I realize you would have to go through the main building to the outer buildings of the GF that was why I figured it was a wash as far as convenience.

It does take longer to take the monorail from Contemporary around the loop to MK than from GF. But it is still shorter just to walk from the Contemporary and you don't have to worry with transportation when the park closes and there is a long line at the monorail.

Upvote 0

Lauriebar

Our children loved it when we had a tower room at the Contemp. We would usually have to budget 10-15 minutes a morning to watch the goings on at Chef Mickey's and the monorail station from our indoor balcony.

Plus, oddly enough the escalators were a huge draw with my son. He thought they were one of the rides!!

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

I have to say stay at the GF only because it is our favorite resort! We stay there every year. We have three girls ages 10,5,&3 and they loved the resort too. The pool is nice and they also have children activities available. If your daughter is into Princesses, 1900 Park Fare offers a Cinderella & Prince Charming dinner and breakfast with Alice In Wonderland. The MK is the first stop on the monorail. but I suggest taking the boat back to the GF unless you want to ride the monorail all the way around. Have fun planning :wave:

Upvote 0

Mickey&Minnie

I haven't stayed at either but if I had a choice between the two, I would choose the Contemporary. The rooms look very nice and I agree with you I don't think I could take the flowered wall paper. It gives me a headache.:hammer: :ROFLOL:
Please let us know what you choose.

Upvote 0

Patsc85

Hmm tough decision, because they are two totally different themes. But personally, while I love the Contemporary I just like to look at. I don't think I would ever want to stay in it. GF for sure.

Upvote 0

disneymom08

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. After way too much deliberating I booked the Grand Floridian this morning. I think the deciding factor for me was the construction issue. I read another thread that said if you are going to pay that kind of money you don't want the temporary restaurants and amenities; and I think that did it for me. I think I'll wait to stay there when everthing is in place. Until then I'll have to get over the floral explosion.

Although, I will be making a trip over there for Chef Mickey's Character Breakfast!

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

Thanks for all the input. After way too much deliberating I booked the Grand Floridian this morning. I think the deciding factor for me was the construction issue. I read another thread that said if you are going to pay that kind of money you don't want the temporary restaurants and amenities; and I think that did it for me. I think I'll wait to stay there when everthing is in place. Until then I'll have to get over the floral explosion.

Although, I will be making a trip over there for Chef Mickey's Character Breakfast!

I think you made a great decision, you will be happy there. Have a magical trip :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom