Getting to the parks without a car

Kitchandro

I'm looking at going to Orlando in October for the 6th time but the 1st time on my own. I don't drive and I've heard the public transport isn't great. I'm assuming getting a cab to the parks every day would bankrupt me.

Am I scuppered?

The last time I went was 10 years ago with my parents so any general advice would also be greatly appreciated.

awoogala

yup. onsite or at one of the "onsite but not disney" (swan, dolphin, bonnet creek), or on of the disney springs hotels. Lyft to the parks. If you're flying in, the ride from the airport can be a bit costly, but some hotels do have shuttles.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

There are many, many inexpensive hotels/motels outside of WDW that offer free shuttle service.

However, they may not be very frequent or at the most ideal times. Something to check before you book.

If you’re old enough and get a good enough deal, sometimes renting a car is downright cheap (especially not at the airport.)

Upvote 0

KBLovedDisney

I'm looking at going to Orlando in October for the 6th time but the 1st time on my own. I don't drive and I've heard the public transport isn't great. I'm assuming getting a cab to the parks every day would bankrupt me.

Am I scuppered?

The last time I went was 10 years ago with my parents so any general advice would also be greatly appreciated.
The Disney bus transportation is complimentary when you stay at the resorts on site. There is the waiting part for them to come, but it really isn't all that bad.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

The Disney bus transportation is complimentary when you stay at the resorts on site. There is the waiting part for them to come, but it really isn't all that bad.

Ditto. We've visited half a dozen times, have always stayed onsite, and have never rented a vehicle. Other than a few atypical experiences where buses/monorails broke down or were poorly scheduled, we've found wait times to be short and the free onsite transportation (whether by bus, boat, or monorail) to be convenient and even enjoyable.

Upvote 0

Kitchandro

Original Poster
Thanks for all your responses.

I'm coming from England so I've been looking at getting a good flight/hotel deal....I just need to work out the price difference between one of those deals + lyft transport vs a potentially more expensive deal but with free transport to the parks.

I've never used Lyft but it sounds like a cheaper version of Uber? I've googled it and I think I'm looking at about $400 for using it if I'm relatively near the parks.

Would International Drive or Kissimmee be too far out?

Upvote 0

awoogala

I'm coming from England so I've been looking at getting a good flight/hotel deal....I just need to work out the price difference between one of those deals + lyft transport vs a potentially more expensive deal but with free transport to the parks.

I've never used Lyft but it sounds like a cheaper version of Uber? I've googled it and I think I'm looking at about $400 for using it if I'm relatively near the parks.

Lyft seems to be a little cheaper, plus I don't like a lot of past politics with Uber. That being said, if you download them both, sometimes they will give you a "discounted trip" here and there, so might be worth it to switch to which ever one gives you a better deal. (many drivers drive for both platforms).
Int. Drive and Kissimee, to me, would mean a rental car. That is a bit farther than I'd be taking lyft everyday.
Your best bet is to stick it on google maps or the lyft site, and actually see the time/distance. I know the lyft site will give you estimated prices for a trip. Remember, in the u.s., to add on a tip- which is considered the norm . (also, no tip can get you a bad "grade" as a passenger, which will lead to less lyft/uber drivers willing to pick you up)

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

My opinion is stay onsite. Usually Disney has some great deals for the UK.
Makes it a lot easier on yourself with magical express ns Disney psrk tr as nsportation included in the price.

Upvote 0

Kitchandro

Original Poster
My opinion is stay onsite. Usually Disney has some great deals for the UK.
Makes it a lot easier on yourself with magical express ns Disney psrk tr as nsportation included in the price.

It certainly would be less of a stress. The cheapest I can find for WDW hotels is like £1,500 for the hotel. That's the All-Star Sports Resort, is it decent there?

Flights are like £400.

Are there any websites you can recommend for deals that are specific to WDW hotels?

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
It certainly would be less of a stress. The cheapest I can find for WDW hotels is like £1,500 for the hotel. That's the All-Star Sports Resort, is it decent there?

Flights are like £400.

Are there any websites you can recommend for deals that are specific to WDW hotels?

All Star Sports is ok.
Its a value resort so not a luxury hotel or anything but its themed and nice.
Not sure about the price I guess it depends on how long you are going.
It seems folks from the UK stay for a couple of weeks at least where as I only go for a few days at a time and live in the Buffalo NY area.
For that price looks like you plan a couple of weeks?

Being from the USA I have no clue about websites for deals for you specifically other than the Disney website or if you want to go through a travel agent...

But really coming from the UK you really are better off staying onsite and using Disney transportation instead of trying to figure out other trnasport.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kitchandro

Original Poster
All Star Sports is ok.
Its a value resort so not a luxury hotel or anything but its themed and nice.
Not sure about the price I guess it depends on how long you are going.
It seems folks from the UK stay for a couple of weeks at least where as I only go for a few days at a time and live in the Buffalo NY area.
For that price looks like you plan a couple of weeks?

Being from the USA I have no clue about websites for deals for you specifically other than the Disney website or if you want to go through a travel agent...

But really coming from the UK you really are better off staying onsite and using Disney transportation instead of trying to figure out other trnasport.

Yeh going for 2 weeks.

I'll keep looking but my sister (bless her) has found a good deal for me on a hotel that's right next to Disney Springs for about £900 incl. flights. I understand they don't do travel buses from there to the parks but the Lyfts will be cheap as I'm basically in the resort.

Unless I can find a WDW hotel plus flights for about £1,000 that seems like the best bet I guess.

Thanks again everyone.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Yeh going for 2 weeks.

I'll keep looking but my sister (bless her) has found a good deal for me on a hotel that's right next to Disney Springs for about £900 incl. flights. I understand they don't do travel buses from there to the parks but the Lyfts will be cheap as I'm basically in the resort.

Unless I can find a WDW hotel plus flights for about £1,000 that seems like the best bet I guess.

Thanks again everyone.

What hotel?
Like I said if you wanted to stay at an offsite hotel I'd do a Disney Springs area one.
Some of those even include good park transportation and 60 day FP window.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Hilton on Lake Buena Vista. Reading it more closely I think it has both those things actually :)

If it's the Hilton with an address on Hotel Plaza Blvd, then yes you get 60-day FP+ and Extra Magic Hours. Walking distance to Disney Springs. They also have free buses to the parks that run generally every 30 minutes. However the routing takes extra time to Studios and forever to get to AK. I'd consider an Uber/Lyft for those, especially AK.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Kitchandro

Original Poster
Yeh going for 2 weeks.

Thanks again everyone.

Ok so I can't use this deal now as the dates fall on my niece's christening in Italy!

By far the cheapest option I've got left is Avanti Palms on International Drive the following month.

They do offer a Shuttle Service to Disney & Universal although I'm not sure how reliable it is. However, it is only 30 minutes walk from the Universal parks - So that's potentially like 3 or 4 days I could not need transport at all. Does anyone know if the route is ok to walk (or at least to walk some of it to keep costs down)?

Outside of that I'm guessing it's an average of $40 a day to Disney.....I'm saving a fair bit by using a deal like this (like a grand) so that's not too bad all things considered. As long as Lyft's are fairly reliable?

It sounds plausible enough for me....or am I in for a shock? 😄

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Ok so I can't use this deal now as the dates fall on my niece's christening in Italy!

By far the cheapest option I've got left is Avanti Palms on International Drive the following month.

They do offer a Shuttle Service to Disney & Universal although I'm not sure how reliable it is. However, it is only 30 minutes walk from the Universal parks - So that's potentially like 3 or 4 days I could not need transport at all. Does anyone know if the route is ok to walk (or at least to walk some of it to keep costs down)?

Outside of that I'm guessing it's an average of $40 a day to Disney.....I'm saving a fair bit by using a deal like this (like a grand) so that's not too bad all things considered. As long as Lyft's are fairly reliable?

It sounds plausible enough for me....or am I in for a shock? 😄
Stand by my recommendation of onsite or Disney Springs hotel.
You do you but I sure AF would not.
Heck if you are going to Universal for several days then stay at a Universal resort for that amount of time. The newest resort starts at $73 per night I believe.
Then move to a Disney resort.
Or maybe wait a bit longer and save up the money if you do not find it affordable to go on vacation at the moment.
Nice thingvablit living where you do is it's still easy to get a Disney fix via Paris.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom