Getting my plan together - any thoughts?

James J

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
It's only a few weeks until I'll be hitting the 180 day mark before my trip, so I've been finalising my plan for the reservations I want to make!

This trip is the first one with my DGF and it'll mark two years of us being together. I've been to WDW four times and had the regular dining plan on my last visit in 2015 - this meant it was a no brainer to have on this trip too when we realised how good the free QS Dining plus half price upgrade to the regular plan was! My other half has only been to WDW once, six years ago, and her friend only budgeted to eat QS meals when they went so she's looking forward to eating at actual restaurants. We'll be there for 10 nights, flying in from the UK and staying at Coronado Springs. With all of this in mind, this is what we've decided on so far:
  • California Grill - dinner
  • Kona Cafe - breakfast
  • Trattoria al Forno - lunch
  • Sanaa - dinner
  • Boma - breakfast -
  • La Hacienda de San Angel - lunch
  • Jiko - dinner
We're trying to only do 1 TS meal per day, and decided against booking anything on the two days we're scheduled to be at Universal/Islands of Adventure. This has meant us looking to do the two signature meals, and hopefully getting California Grill for our anniversary dinner. We've also found that we've got a decent mix of breakfast, lunch and dinner after working out our plans for each day and what our whereabouts will be. Food and Wine will be on when we're there so that's something else we've been trying to take into account. There is 1 TS credit yet to be allocated for anything too...

What do you think? We're very much open to any suggestions, whether it's something to use our last remaining credit on or if there's somewhere we should look to change from those we've picked out!

Hamm3r18

Solid choices there James!!! With your remaining TS my personal favourite is Cape May Cafe for dinner. Nice choices, easy transportation options plus its a nice resort to hang out either before or after. Walk along the boardwalk, grab a seat on the beach, lots of fun things to do. Just a suggestion for your consideration. Have fun!

James J

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Solid choices there James!!! With your remaining TS my personal favourite is Cape May Cafe for dinner. Nice choices, easy transportation options plus its a nice resort to hang out either before or after. Walk along the boardwalk, grab a seat on the beach, lots of fun things to do. Just a suggestion for your consideration. Have fun!

Thanks! We haven't looked at Cape May Cafe but we'll consider it now - I do love the Boardwalk area and I can't wait to walk my other half around it, as she didn't visit it when she went to WDW.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Biergarten in Germany is fantastic. Great buffet, a show and, well, beer. But you eat at a table with strangers.

The Grand Floridian Cafe is another good choice for either breakfast or dinner - we've not had a bad meal there. My favorite for breakfast is either their seasonal pancakes or lobster eggs Benedict. My favorites for dinner is either the Shrimp and Grits or the Spinach-Ricotta Ravioli.

If you wanna have a good time with great music, I also suggest Raglan Road. Good selections of beer and whiskey - and you can do a flight. I suggest either the Not Bleedin' Chowder or risotto. And you must absolutely have the bread pudding for dessert - I recommend just one order for the both of you.

But if you get homesick, there's always Rose & Crown for some fish & chips. 😁

James J

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Biergarten in Germany is fantastic. Great buffet, a show and, well, beer. But you eat at a table with strangers.

The Grand Floridian Cafe is another good choice for either breakfast or dinner - we've not had a bad meal there. My favorite for breakfast is either their seasonal pancakes or lobster eggs Benedict. My favorites for dinner is either the Shrimp and Grits or the Spinach-Ricotta Ravioli.

If you wanna have a good time with great music, I also suggest Raglan Road. Good selections of beer and whiskey - and you can do a flight. I suggest either the Not Bleedin' Chowder or risotto. And you must absolutely have the bread pudding for dessert - I recommend just one order for the both of you.

But if you get homesick, there's always Rose & Crown for some fish & chips. 😁

I was toying with using that final credit for another breakfast and you may have swayed me in the direction of the Grand Floridian Cafe. I do rather enjoy having a proper breakfast!

Biergarten was a consideration but we weren't sure if we'd enjoy the seating arrangements. Is there the potential for it to be awkward or does everybody kind of forget about it and enjoy the experience?

Hcalvert

I was toying with using that final credit for another breakfast and you may have swayed me in the direction of the Grand Floridian Cafe. I do rather enjoy having a proper breakfast!

Biergarten was a consideration but we weren't sure if we'd enjoy the seating arrangements. Is there the potential for it to be awkward or does everybody kind of forget about it and enjoy the experience?

I have been to the Biergarten several times for dinner and really enjoyed it--even sitting with people I did not know. Both times, the people were really friendly and accepted my ADHD son without comment. We haven't had the experience yet of sitting next to people that ignored our existence and we actually had a nice chat with them.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member

It can be. But I can't imagine anyone wanting to eat there who wouldn't be friendly, given the nature of the seating. The few times we've eating there, our table companions were great to talk with...and we ended up in a long discussion on which beers we thought were best.

But if you want a proper breakfast, go for the GF Cafe.

Speaking of proper breakfast, did you know the GF does an afternoon tea? With sandwiches, scones and champagne, if you want the more adult menu. It's quite filling, but in demand. Not sure if you can use any of your dining credits, but I'd check it out. It's not cheap.

ETA: If you want to make a reservation for the Afternoon (from noon to 4:00PM) Tea at the Grand Floridian Garden Tea Room, you have to do it online or call. It's a dining event and doesn't appear on the app.

Last edited:

James J

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
It can be. But I can't imagine anyone wanting to eat there who wouldn't be friendly, given the nature of the seating. The few times we've eating there, our table companions were great to talk with...and we ended up in a long discussion on which beers we thought were best.

But if you want a proper breakfast, go for the GF Cafe.

Speaking of proper breakfast, did you know the GF does an afternoon tea? With sandwiches, scones and champagne, if you want the more adult menu. It's quite filling, but in demand. Not sure if you can use any of your dining credits, but I'd check it out. It's not cheap.

ETA: If you want to make a reservation for the Afternoon (from noon to 4:00PM) Tea at the Grand Floridian Garden Tea Room, you have to do it online or call. It's a dining event and doesn't appear on the app.

We spent last night talking about it and think we'll probably look at the breakfast at GF Cafe as our first option for that last credit.

I didn't know about the afternoon tea - we don't necessarily mind paying for the odd thing out of pocket as we got a $100 gift card as part of our package, and we've been given a couple of $50 gift cards by family too. Thanks for making me aware of it!

drwadadli

It's only a few weeks until I'll be hitting the 180 day mark before my trip, so I've been finalising my plan for the reservations I want to make!

This trip is the first one with my DGF and it'll mark two years of us being together. I've been to WDW four times and had the regular dining plan on my last visit in 2015 - this meant it was a no brainer to have on this trip too when we realised how good the free QS Dining plus half price upgrade to the regular plan was! My other half has only been to WDW once, six years ago, and her friend only budgeted to eat QS meals when they went so she's looking forward to eating at actual restaurants. We'll be there for 10 nights, flying in from the UK and staying at Coronado Springs. With all of this in mind, this is what we've decided on so far:
  • California Grill - dinner
  • Kona Cafe - breakfast
  • Trattoria al Forno - lunch
  • Sanaa - dinner
  • Boma - breakfast -
  • La Hacienda de San Angel - lunch
  • Jiko - dinner
We're trying to only do 1 TS meal per day, and decided against booking anything on the two days we're scheduled to be at Universal/Islands of Adventure. This has meant us looking to do the two signature meals, and hopefully getting California Grill for our anniversary dinner. We've also found that we've got a decent mix of breakfast, lunch and dinner after working out our plans for each day and what our whereabouts will be. Food and Wine will be on when we're there so that's something else we've been trying to take into account. There is 1 TS credit yet to be allocated for anything too...

What do you think? We're very much open to any suggestions, whether it's something to use our last remaining credit on or if there's somewhere we should look to change from those we've picked out!
Those are some great choices but to add my two sense. If you are looking for a romantic restaurant for your anniversary dinner, then you may want to rethink California Grill. It is loud and noisy and that it part of people call it's character but for my wife and I, that is not a place to go for an anniversary. For our anniversaries, we like Monsieur Paul (in Epcot), Le Cellier (in Epcot), or Artist Point (at Wilderness Lodge). You being from the U.K., I know you have great French and steak restaurants there as we love to vacation there as well. In my opinion, if you were looking for a romantic dinner for your anniversary I would pick Artist Point as it about the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. and therefore nothing something you can typically find around the U.K. The California Grill is a fusion of different styles which we found similar to some of the 3-star Michelin restaurants we found around London, York, and Bristol.

We also greatly enjoy The Wave for breakfast and the Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast. We totally love Rose & Crown and Raglan Road but I wouldn't think you would want to travel all this way from the U.K. to go to a British and Irish Pub. If it is late night and you two are still on the go, then maybe you would want to head to Raglan Road as they continue playing and having a good time late in the evening.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I concur with @drwadadli. Artist Point is a great restaurant, tucked away at Wilderness Lodge. And you'll get a great view of Bay Lake. And , IMHO, the best resort on property.

Good suggestion on Raglan Road. Go there after dinner. They usually have a small group playing outside on the patio at night in addition to inside.

James J

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Those are some great choices but to add my two sense. If you are looking for a romantic restaurant for your anniversary dinner, then you may want to rethink California Grill. It is loud and noisy and that it part of people call it's character but for my wife and I, that is not a place to go for an anniversary. For our anniversaries, we like Monsieur Paul (in Epcot), Le Cellier (in Epcot), or Artist Point (at Wilderness Lodge). You being from the U.K., I know you have great French and steak restaurants there as we love to vacation there as well. In my opinion, if you were looking for a romantic dinner for your anniversary I would pick Artist Point as it about the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. and therefore nothing something you can typically find around the U.K. The California Grill is a fusion of different styles which we found similar to some of the 3-star Michelin restaurants we found around London, York, and Bristol.

We also greatly enjoy The Wave for breakfast and the Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast. We totally love Rose & Crown and Raglan Road but I wouldn't think you would want to travel all this way from the U.K. to go to a British and Irish Pub. If it is late night and you two are still on the go, then maybe you would want to head to Raglan Road as they continue playing and having a good time late in the evening.

That's really, really helpful. We've just been talking about it and whilst we'd still like to do California Grill, we've decided that we'll try and get Artist Point for our anniversary dinner based on your recommendation and @LAKid53 agreeing with you too! Funny that you mention Bristol as I'm fairly local to it, living about 40 minutes away!

I'm quite keen to visit a couple of bars after dinner so Raglan Road will be one we keep in mind. Staying out late never happened on my last trip thanks to my friend continually falling asleep when we went back to the hotel after being in the parks, so I'll hope my other half has better staying power! Which I'm sure she will.

Thanks guys!

LAKid53

Premium Member
That's really, really helpful. We've just been talking about it and whilst we'd still like to do California Grill, we've decided that we'll try and get Artist Point for our anniversary dinner based on your recommendation and @LAKid53 agreeing with you too! Funny that you mention Bristol as I'm fairly local to it, living about 40 minutes away!

I'm quite keen to visit a couple of bars after dinner so Raglan Road will be one we keep in mind. Staying out late never happened on my last trip thanks to my friend continually falling asleep when we went back to the hotel after being in the parks, so I'll hope my other half has better staying power! Which I'm sure she will.

Thanks guys!

You are most welcome. There are two great bars at Wilderness Lodge. If it's a nice evening after your dinner, walk down to Geyser Point, have a nice drink waterside and watch the water parade - the bar is on Bay Lake. There's an indoors bar near Artist Point, just can't remember the name.

We like to visit Raglan Road our last evening at Disney. I've got to have that bread pudding.

James J

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
You are most welcome. There are two great bars at Wilderness Lodge. If it's a nice evening after your dinner, walk down to Geyser Point, have a nice drink waterside and watch the water parade - the bar is on Bay Lake. There's an indoors bar near Artist Point, just can't remember the name.

We like to visit Raglan Road our last evening at Disney. I've got to have that bread pudding.

Cool, noted. I don't think I've ever watched the water parade so combining that with Geyser Point sounds good to me. Just have to hope for it to be a nice evening!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Cool, noted. I don't think I've ever watched the water parade so combining that with Geyser Point sounds good to me. Just have to hope for it to be a nice evening!

Other than the tables lakeside, it's covered, but open air. There's also a small dock you can walk out on. If it's chilly, they have heaters.

drwadadli

Thanks guys!
You are very welcome.

Like @LAKid53 mentioned, I hear the bars at Wilderness Lodge are really nice even though I have no personal opinion on them we have never gone. We also have not tried any of the other bars around Disney Springs. My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Ireland on one trip and then a week on another trip and totally love the Irish food, music and people so we always hit Raglan Road; even if we are down for business and not doing WDW. For a week long vacation, we will end up there at least twice but more like 3 or 4 times.

We also greatly love British food and people which is why we almost always hit Rose & Crown when we are doing WDW. We have spent a total of 4 weeks in the U.K. for different vacations and are looking to return soon.

Enjoy your trip and if you try the bars at Wilderness Lodge, tell us how you get on.

JillC LI

Biergarten is fun and the food is very good, and we didn't find the group seating awkward. Raglan Road was one of our favorite meals and the entertainment during dinner was great. We also enjoy Rose & Crown, and if you go for dinner then you have the added advantage of a great viewing spot for IllumiNations without having to stand outside waiting. Kona Cafe for breakfast is one of our faves (tonga toast or macadamia nut pineapple pancakes!).

James J

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
You are very welcome.

Like @LAKid53 mentioned, I hear the bars at Wilderness Lodge are really nice even though I have no personal opinion on them we have never gone. We also have not tried any of the other bars around Disney Springs. My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Ireland on one trip and then a week on another trip and totally love the Irish food, music and people so we always hit Raglan Road; even if we are down for business and not doing WDW. For a week long vacation, we will end up there at least twice but more like 3 or 4 times.

We also greatly love British food and people which is why we almost always hit Rose & Crown when we are doing WDW. We have spent a total of 4 weeks in the U.K. for different vacations and are looking to return soon.

Enjoy your trip and if you try the bars at Wilderness Lodge, tell us how you get on.

Will do, I look forward to reporting back. We'll try and hit up Raglan Road at least once - I'm thinking that we could stop off at Disney Springs on the way back from our days at Universal, so we'll definitely try it. Thanks again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom