Getting from Epcot to MK after IllumiNations

LittleBuford

Is it humanly possible to leave Epcot after IllumiNations and arrive at MK just before the latter closes at 10? My (tentative) plan is to leave via International Gateway as soon as IllumiNations is over, walk briskly to the Beach Club, get an Uber from there to the Contemporary, and then walk (briskly again!) to the Magic Kingdom. Can this be done within 45 minutes, or should I not bother trying?

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

JohnD

Is it humanly possible to leave Epcot after IllumiNations and arrive at MK just before the latter closes at 10? My (tentative) plan is to leave via International Gateway as soon as IllumiNations is over, walk briskly to the Beach Club, get an Uber from there to the Contemporary, and then walk (briskly again!) to the Magic Kingdom. Can this be done within 45 minutes, or should I not bother trying?

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

That doesn't sound humanly possible. If IllumiNations is at 9:00, the show would be over by 9:30 or just prior. Then you hope to be at MK before it closes at 10? Even if you could make it, you would arrive just as it is closing. What do you expect to do there?

Upvote 0

LittleBuford

Original Poster
That doesn't sound humanly possible. If IllumiNations is at 9:00, the show would be over by 9:30 or just prior. Then you hope to be at MK before it closes at 10? Even if you could make it, you would arrive just as it is closing. What do you expect to do there?

Thanks for your thoughts.

IllumiNations would be over by 9:15, no?

As for what I’d do at MK, I like to spend the hour after official closing on Main Street, taking in the atmosphere and shopping. I’m making plans for an upcoming one-day visit to the parks, which is why I’m trying to squeeze as much out of the experience as possible.

Upvote 0

JohnD

IllumiNations would be over by 9:15, no?

As for what I’d do at MK, I like to spend the hour after official closing on Main Street, taking in the atmosphere and shopping. I’m making plans for an upcoming one-day visit to the parks, which is why I’m trying to squeeze as much out of the experience as possible.

You want "humanly possible"? Sure. Humanly probable? No. You might squeeze a few extra minutes by getting a FP at the north end of WS lagoon then hoofing it directly to the monorail and transfer to the Express to get to MK.

Upvote 0

LittleBuford

Original Poster
You want "humanly possible"? Sure. Humanly probable? No. You might squeeze a few extra minutes by getting a FP at the north end of WS lagoon then hoofing it directly to the monorail and transfer to the Express to get to MK.

Thanks. I thought leaving by International Gateway and using Uber might avoid some of the crowds. I’m curious to know if others have tried that route.

Upvote 0

Tom 55

I think your Uber will have to take you to Ticket and Transportation. From there either monorail or ferry. Both of which take time. Maybe drop off at Contemporary and walk over from there. At what time does security stop letting people in for a 10 pm close? It would be better if you got on a Disney bus. They let you out right in front of MK.

Upvote 0

JohnD

I think your Uber will have to take you to Ticket and Transportation. From there either monorail or ferry. Both of which take time. Maybe drop off at Contemporary and walk over from there. At what time does security stop letting people in for a 10 pm close? It would be better if you got on a Disney bus. They let you out right in front of MK.

One problem. Regarding Epcot, you could only take a bus to MK from a resort. So even if he were to hike to Beach Club, he could have a long wait for an MK bus. Outside Minnie Van, the monorail is the only way to get directly to MK from Epcot via Disney transportation.

Upvote 0

LittleBuford

Original Poster

Thanks! My plan was take Uber/Lyft from the Beach Club to the Contemporary Resort. It's a fifteen-minute drive without traffic, and I'm a pretty quick walker, but there'd be no time to spare. I assume that you can enter MK as late as 9:59, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Taking a Minnie Van from the Beach Club directly to MK is another (more expensive) option, but I have no personal experience of using that service and don't know how quickly a driver would arrive once requested.

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

I think the Minnie van lets you out close to the buses. We used a Minnie van twice, once at BC and once at Boardwalk both time they were there very quick. If you decide to do this make sure you have all the info first because I think you need to have an app. My niece took care of everything on her phone

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
That's going to be tough. Uber probably the only shot. The intangible here is - others that may thinking the same thing. (Not necessarily going to MK from EPCOT - but calling an Uber.) I'd think there'd be a few with the same thought process of sneaking out IG and catching at BC or YC and avoiding the main area in the EPCOT lot to get them to wherever they are heading after park close.

Out of curiosity: Is visiting the MK before going to EPCOT an option? That may be a little easier.

Upvote 0

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Uber from an Epcot resort to the Contemporary I think would be the only possible way to maybe do it.
I think the Minnie van lets you out close to the buses. We used a Minnie van twice, once at BC and once at Boardwalk both time they were there very quick. If you decide to do this make sure you have all the info first because I think you need to have an app. My niece took care of everything on her phone
That's going to be tough. Uber probably the only shot. The intangible here is - others that may thinking the same thing. (Not necessarily going to MK from EPCOT - but calling an Uber.) I'd think there'd be a few with the same thought process of sneaking out IG and catching at BC or YC and avoiding the main area in the EPCOT lot to get them to wherever they are heading after park close.

Out of curiosity: Is visiting the MK before going to EPCOT an option? That may be a little easier.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts! I have the Lyft app, which is all you need to order a Minnie Van, but the point about others requesting ride services at the same time is something to consider.

@scorp16, the problem is that the day is being spent with two people (my partner's parents) who want to see Epcot and Hollywood Studios but have no interest at all in the Magic Kingdom. My partner and I would part company with them after IllumiNations and make a dash for MK by ourselves. Perhaps I should just work on convincing them to come with us to MK for the fireworks, though that would mean missing IllumiNations altogether.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Back in July 2016, we watched Illuminations from France (9pm) inside Epcot - power walked to Beach Club right afterwards - grabbed a bus to MK - and were inside MK at viewing spot at the end of MSUSA before Wishes started up at 10pm. It's most definitely possible, but it's a mad dash to make it happen.

Upvote 0

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Back in July 2016, we watched Illuminations from France (9pm) inside Epcot - power walked to Beach Club right afterwards - grabbed a bus to MK - and were inside MK at viewing spot at the end of MSUSA before Wishes started up at 10pm. It's most definitely possible, but it's a mad dash to make it happen.

This gives me hope--thank you!

Upvote 0

LittleBuford

Original Poster
An update: not only did we make it to MK, but we did so with time to spare. We watched IllumiNations from the bridge near France and then walked briskly to the BoardWalk Inn by way of International Gateway, ordering a Lyft as we approached the hotel. By 9:30, we were in the car on the way to the Contemporary Resort, where we arrived about ten minutes later. Then it was a quick walk to the Magic Kingdom, and once we were in, we even had time to join the queue for Pirates.

I know we had good luck in terms of not having to wait long for our Lyft to arrive, but this was way easier than I thought it would be, and I’d recommend it to anyone wanting to hop from Epcot to MK quickly.

Upvote 0

Janir

Uber will but if you wanted to spend extra for a Minnie Van via Lyft you'd get to MK's front door.
Don't forget to add in your Uber/Lyft wait time at International gateway. You could sty to time the pick up while your still walking out. but you are gonna have some crowds even at teh International Gateway exit.
Good luck to ya!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Thanks! See my update (the post just above yours)—the plan worked a treat!

I didn't see this thread when it was first started, but just to add an other data point. I have done it myself as well.

Watched I:RoE right by the bridge to Future World. Beat the crowds to the monorail. Made it to MK and watched Wishes from the Main Street Train Station.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom