Getting back into walking/running and I have questions!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
Hello all. I am new to this part of the forum. I've been lurking for a while (and admiring all the hard work that goes on around here) and now I have questions. First, I should probably provide a little back story. I am 27 and I used to be a dancer and along with that a runner. I was never particularly fast but I could at least do it and not feel like I was going to die.

Fast forward 10ish years and a lot of weight here I am. I've had a few failed attempts at weight loss in the past but 9 weeks ago I rejoined Weight Watchers ( I am a repeat offender :lookaroun) and have lost nearly 20 pounds since then. I want to ramp up my efforts a bit and get back into running. I've started with walking (have to learn to walk before you can run, right? :eek:) and so far so good. I have done a few 1.5 and 2.0 mile laps around the neighborhood and I am around a 18:00 pace. Obviously this isn't fantastic but not a terrible start considering 7 days ago I was walking 0 miles laps around the neighborhood at a 0:00 pace. :lol: I want to eventually get to the point where I can run (or at least get below a 16 min pace) so I can sign up for a runDisney event. I am trying to track down a few local 5k events as a short term goal.

Now that I have bored you all with my life story, here are the questions....
-What is everyone's preferred method of hydration? Handheld water bottles? Belts?
-I've been using the MapMyWalk app on my phone as my main tracker for mileage, pace, etc. I have no issues with it. Is there something better out there that I am missing?
-Anyone know a way to combat swelling in my hands short of walking with my hands in the air? :lol:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
For me, hydration really depends on how long my runs are.

If the run is under 5 miles, I make sure I'm hydrated before I leave the house. If I run 6 or more, there is a convenience store I will take a bathroom/gatorade break at to hydrate. I hate carrying water with me.

I use RunTracker for Android to track my runs. I've had good luck with it, except the princess 1/2 last month where it somehow had me almost 5 miles off course early on, skewing all my data. Every other run I've had has been perfect.

Always have a goal....my first race was a 5k, and I went from there. If you have registration fees on the line, you're more likely to keep training.

Good Luck!

MKCP 1985

Welcome! :wave:

I really dislike a sloshing water bottle, so I use a belt with the small bottles if I am not going to be running on a treadmill where I can stop and use a water fountain. When I was first starting out, I used those even for shorter runs like 5K and 10K races. If the belt is not available, the sloshing water bottle is better than dehydration!

mapmyrun seems to be getting better.

I have no answer for the swelling hands. :eek: Maybe someone else can help with that one.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
For me, hydration really depends on how long my runs are.

If the run is under 5 miles, I make sure I'm hydrated before I leave the house. If I run 6 or more, there is a convenience store I will take a bathroom/gatorade break at to hydrate. I hate carrying water with me.

I use RunTracker for Android to track my runs. I've had good luck with it, except the princess 1/2 last month where it somehow had me almost 5 miles off course early on, skewing all my data. Every other run I've had has been perfect.

Always have a goal....my first race was a 5k, and I went from there. If you have registration fees on the line, you're more likely to keep training.

Good Luck!

I haven't gone further than 2 miles yet but I was definitely thirsty long before I got back home. I didn't really break a sweat (or maybe I did...it was REALLY windy) but I know that if I am going to keep increasing my distance I need to figure out a hydration plan.

I will check out RunTracker. This afternoon I looked around for some local races. There is a 5K run/walk benefiting the developmentally disabled in April. Then there is a 5k associated with the NJ Marathon in early May. I think I am going to pick the one in May, pay the registration fee and go for it. :shrug:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
Welcome! :wave:

I really dislike a sloshing water bottle, so I use a belt with the small bottles if I am not going to be running on a treadmill where I can stop and use a water fountain. When I was first starting out, I used those even for shorter runs like 5K and 10K races. If the belt is not available, the sloshing water bottle is better than dehydration!

mapmyrun seems to be getting better.

I have no answer for the swelling hands. :eek: Maybe someone else can help with that one.

I really didn't think about the sloshing being annoying. I was thinking more about having to carry something but I can see how that sloshing could get annoying. I think I am going to look into getting a belt.

dreamfinder

If you are just starting out, it's usually fairly easy to adjust your route to swing back by your home and grab a few swigs from the porch, or by a place where you stash a water bottle beforehand. If you are looking at continued weight loss, you may get more mileage out of a hand held bottle or a Camelbak style system. The belts tend to not have much size variance, and you may need a new one quickly. (A good thing in this case) You can also try drinking water maybe 30 minutes before you head out. If you feel thirsty while running, your body may already be on the way to being dehydrated.

I would definitely suggest looking at some of the Couch to 5k (C25K) programs online at coolrunning.com or active.com. They will help you slowly increase distance and speed to meet your final goal.

And registering for a race is great motivation. As PPs have said, nothing like money on the line for motivation.

It sounds like you are off to a good start, just keep with it and slowly do more. Good luck!

Ariel484

Another vote for C25K and registering for a race! :sohappy: Just wait until you cross the finish line of your first race...it's a great feeling.

I have a hand-held water bottle, belt and a Camelbak. I don't completely love the hand-held or the belt, but I do really like the Camelbak. I only use it for long runs though (8-9 miles+).

I am also on WW and running seems to work well with it. Gotta love earning those Activity Points!

Can't help you with the swelling hands though. :shrug: Good luck!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Welcome and Im glad you stopped lingering and started posting. :wave:

Hydration. Im like Doug, I like a water belt. I like the pouch on the back to carry nutrition and my phone on runs longer than a hour. The water sloshing has never bothered me. I think a lot of your decision comes down to your body type. I know that I have to wear my belt tight so it doesnt feel like it is slipping (all mental) and you have to ask yourself would that be comfortable. Does tight things around your waist bother you from a comfort standpoint or would it rub? It took me a little getting use to it, but I cant run without it at times now. :D

Im not a doctor, but I think if you continue to walk/run and lose weight, your circulation will keep improving so the blood pooling in your hands may subside.

Good luck and always keep us up to date on your progress in the "What did you do" thread.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the continued responses guys. I went out for another walk today after work. I sure love these 70 degree temperatures in March right now. I didn't get a chance to buy an official hydration device yet but I took one of my travel mugs with me today. It is fairly lightweight, has Mickeys all over it, and has a long hooked handle. It certainly wasn't optimal but it worked for now. Interestingly enough, I think I may have solved the hand swelling problem too. I did a little Googling yesterday and it seems this is a fairly common issue. A popular solution is to hold something in your hands and switch it occasionally while running. I had the aforementioned travel mug with me today and I switched it back and forth the whole trip. There was minimal hand swelling today. Guess I might have to get a handheld water bottle after all. :shrug:

The only problem I encountered today was my calves and glutes felt really tight today. I guess I need to bump up my pre and post activity stretching.

As for Couch to 5k, I am definitely considering it. I know others that have used it and had great success. I figure since I have now been walking every day for over a week and I have no real joint issues I might be able to consider some light jogging now. I wasn't sure how my hips and knee were going to hold up with all this extra moving but so far no issues. *knock on wood*

Texas84

Check out jeffgalloway.com for training plans using the run/walk method. Two years ago I started at 2 miles at a 16-minute pace and finished my first marathon January.

I don't carry hydration unless I'm going over 4 miles. I like the stuff from iFitness.

A neighborhood 5K is perfect to start. There are alway lots of walkers and usually no time limit. Some races even have a no-stress 1-miler.

Good luck!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
Check out jeffgalloway.com for training plans using the run/walk method. Two years ago I started at 2 miles at a 16-minute pace and finished my first marathon January.

I don't carry hydration unless I'm going over 4 miles. I like the stuff from iFitness.

A neighborhood 5K is perfect to start. There are alway lots of walkers and usually no time limit. Some races even have a no-stress 1-miler.

Good luck!

I will definitely check that out. I tried a little light jogging today and I survived. It didn't even hurt any of the parts of me I expected it to. There is still hope for me!

joel_maxwell

Thanks for all the continued responses guys. I went out for another walk today after work. I sure love these 70 degree temperatures in March right now. I didn't get a chance to buy an official hydration device yet but I took one of my travel mugs with me today. It is fairly lightweight, has Mickeys all over it, and has a long hooked handle. It certainly wasn't optimal but it worked for now. Interestingly enough, I think I may have solved the hand swelling problem too. I did a little Googling yesterday and it seems this is a fairly common issue. A popular solution is to hold something in your hands and switch it occasionally while running. I had the aforementioned travel mug with me today and I switched it back and forth the whole trip. There was minimal hand swelling today. Guess I might have to get a handheld water bottle after all. :shrug:

The only problem I encountered today was my calves and glutes felt really tight today. I guess I need to bump up my pre and post activity stretching.

As for Couch to 5k, I am definitely considering it. I know others that have used it and had great success. I figure since I have now been walking every day for over a week and I have no real joint issues I might be able to consider some light jogging now. I wasn't sure how my hips and knee were going to hold up with all this extra moving but so far no issues. *knock on wood*
Stretch, Stretch, Stretch, Stretch, Stretch, Stretch, and Stretch! It will make your life better, your running experience better and help you lose weight.

I feel like I stretch more than I run. I have learned the hard way about not stretching properly and being in a hurry for a simple 3 miles unlike when I run longer distances I seem to stretch more seriously. It is all the same.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Original Poster
Stretch, Stretch, Stretch, Stretch, Stretch, Stretch, and Stretch! It will make your life better, your running experience better and help you lose weight.

I feel like I stretch more than I run. I have learned the hard way about not stretching properly and being in a hurry for a simple 3 miles unlike when I run longer distances I seem to stretch more seriously. It is all the same.

Do you follow any specific program for stretching or just do whatever feels good? I am a former dancer and taught a stretch class for years but none of those stretches targeted running muscles specifically.

Texas84

I have a slightly different take on stretching. Don't do it unless you know what you are doing. Might actually cause injury. Warm up with a 4-5 minute walk then warm down with a 4-5 minute walk. That should be enough for short runs. I had some minor plantar so my doc had me doing calf stretches. I still do those twice a day even though it has gone away.

dreamfinder

Do you follow any specific program for stretching or just do whatever feels good? I am a former dancer and taught a stretch class for years but none of those stretches targeted running muscles specifically.

I have a slightly different take on stretching. Don't do it unless you know what you are doing. Might actually cause injury. Warm up with a 4-5 minute walk then warm down with a 4-5 minute walk. That should be enough for short runs. I had some minor plantar so my doc had me doing calf stretches. I still do those twice a day even though it has gone away.

Nothing specific, but it needs to be done carefully. Make sure you are warmed up before doing any stretching. And then stretch gradually. Going to fast or bouncing can cause tears. If you taught stretching class you probably are familiar with that already. Most runners I see do calfs, quads, etc. Gentle stretching of the muscles in question after you run is usually ok.

joel_maxwell

I have about a dozen stretches I do, but Ill do a few others to target a certain area if need be.

They are just stretches I have learned from research and what we did in sports etc.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Hello all. I am new to this part of the forum. I've been lurking for a while (and admiring all the hard work that goes on around here) and now I have questions. First, I should probably provide a little back story. I am 27 and I used to be a dancer and along with that a runner. I was never particularly fast but I could at least do it and not feel like I was going to die.

Fast forward 10ish years and a lot of weight here I am. I've had a few failed attempts at weight loss in the past but 9 weeks ago I rejoined Weight Watchers ( I am a repeat offender :lookaroun) and have lost nearly 20 pounds since then. I want to ramp up my efforts a bit and get back into running. I've started with walking (have to learn to walk before you can run, right? :eek:) and so far so good. I have done a few 1.5 and 2.0 mile laps around the neighborhood and I am around a 18:00 pace. Obviously this isn't fantastic but not a terrible start considering 7 days ago I was walking 0 miles laps around the neighborhood at a 0:00 pace. :lol: I want to eventually get to the point where I can run (or at least get below a 16 min pace) so I can sign up for a runDisney event. I am trying to track down a few local 5k events as a short term goal.

Now that I have bored you all with my life story, here are the questions....
-What is everyone's preferred method of hydration? Handheld water bottles? Belts?
-I've been using the MapMyWalk app on my phone as my main tracker for mileage, pace, etc. I have no issues with it. Is there something better out there that I am missing?
-Anyone know a way to combat swelling in my hands short of walking with my hands in the air? :lol:

Like you, I have been lurking in this Running subforum for a few months now, and admiring all the hard work as well. I guess it's inspired me, too, as I've also begun a walk/run program recently!!

I haven't run since college (that's 30 years ago!! :eek:), was never a dancer or an athlete. I spent the last year or so taking and keeping off almost 20 pounds, so I'm in pretty good shape. Besides being inspired by all the runners here, I somehow got signed up for a corporate 5K that my office is participating in, and I don't want to be the "old lady" walking the whole thing!! (small office, and I'm ten years older than the next youngest women). That race is May 15, and I'm in week 2 of the Couch to 5K app from active.com. So far so good, but I'm not sure I love running. :lookaroun

I learned the value of stretching when I was getting ready for bed hours after Week 1, Day 1 of the training program, when I was suddenly in excruciating pain in my legs and hips--had to slather on the Bengay and went to sleep whimpering!! I made sure to do a few stretches the next day after walking/running, and it's been fine since. I've been carrying a water bottle with me--I find myself gulping from it after running for a bit!! :eek:

My DH and I might be making a trip to WDW for Epcot's 30th birthday, and I noticed that the ToT 10 miler is that same weekend...I'm thinking of going for it, but really not sure.

Anyway, good luck to you with your walking/running, Tiggerific418!! Us Tiggers have to stick together! :lol:

6laurac

As a relatively new runner myself (less than two years), I started with the 10 week beginners training program from Runner's World online that alternated a minute on and a minute off and than slowly as the weeks went on, progressed until I was able to run 30 minutes without passing out.

Normally I walk for about 5-10 minutes to get my muscles warmed up and than stretch gently paying special attention the quads and calfs. Women seem to have weak quads.

JillC LI

Like you, I have been lurking in this Running subforum for a few months now, and admiring all the hard work as well. I guess it's inspired me, too, as I've also begun a walk/run program recently!!

I haven't run since college (that's 30 years ago!! :eek:), was never a dancer or an athlete. I spent the last year or so taking and keeping off almost 20 pounds, so I'm in pretty good shape. Besides being inspired by all the runners here, I somehow got signed up for a corporate 5K that my office is participating in, and I don't want to be the "old lady" walking the whole thing!! (small office, and I'm ten years older than the next youngest women). That race is May 15, and I'm in week 2 of the Couch to 5K app from active.com. So far so good, but I'm not sure I love running. :lookaroun

I learned the value of stretching when I was getting ready for bed hours after Week 1, Day 1 of the training program, when I was suddenly in excruciating pain in my legs and hips--had to slather on the Bengay and went to sleep whimpering!! I made sure to do a few stretches the next day after walking/running, and it's been fine since. I've been carrying a water bottle with me--I find myself gulping from it after running for a bit!! :eek:

My DH and I might be making a trip to WDW for Epcot's 30th birthday, and I noticed that the ToT 10 miler is that same weekend...I'm thinking of going for it, but really not sure.

Anyway, good luck to you with your walking/running, Tiggerific418!! Us Tiggers have to stick together! :lol:

Welcome and congrats for beginning a workout program. It can take a LONG time to fall in love with running. When I first began and was where you are (learning to run even 1 mile without stopping), I sure as hell didn't do it because I loved it. I continued because I was motivated by a goal. And gradually that goal increased in mileage. And then it increased in speed. And eventually I realized I had the strength to accomplish things I never even imagined, and THAT's what I love. Do I love every moment of a hard run? No. Do I love being a runner? You bet. I love feeling fit. I love being able to eat more dessert than I should. :D I love being alone with my thoughts and my music. I love that I'm healthier and stronger now than I was 20+ years ago when I graduated from college. Don't expect to fall in love with running overnight. The absolute hardest part of being a runner is getting over the hump of those first few miles. You'll love it later if you stick with it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome and congrats for beginning a workout program. It can take a LONG time to fall in love with running. When I first began and was where you are (learning to run even 1 mile without stopping), I sure as hell didn't do it because I loved it. I continued because I was motivated by a goal. And gradually that goal increased in mileage. And then it increased in speed. And eventually I realized I had the strength to accomplish things I never even imagined, and THAT's what I love. Do I love every moment of a hard run? No. Do I love being a runner? You bet. I love feeling fit. I love being able to eat more dessert than I should. :D I love being alone with my thoughts and my music. I love that I'm healthier and stronger now than I was 20+ years ago when I graduated from college. Don't expect to fall in love with running overnight. The absolute hardest part of being a runner is getting over the hump of those first few miles. You'll love it later if you stick with it.

I absolutely agree with what Jill is saying here. I think the vast majority of people are not going to immediately love running, but as Jill says, you can love all the benefits that come with it over time. Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom