Germany Boat Ride

mcjaco

But only 2 of them are in Epcot. The water propulsion system was an ideal way of conveying guests, and topical in The Land and Mexico too. You certainly wouldn`t have liked it if Germany, Italy and Denmark had their water rides too! Incidentally, Germany and Italy were well placed with a gap between them for Switzerland - all 3 would have shared the same water purification and holding system.

You could have always taken a ride on Venezualas aerial cable car ;)

Let's not forget that boat rides are typically high capacity. :animwink:

I don't recall seeing anything on Denmark in my years of following EPCOT. As I've posted a sizable "retro trip report" at another site (I'd link, but I don't want to upset anyone), Equatorial Africa, Spain, and Israel were all planned for Phase II, if not Phase III.

I do recall getting info on the Rhine River ride when I first visited in November of '82. The building is really only half the size it was intended, if I recall correctly. I do know someone that worked there, that said it was just pretty empty, and just had a lot of the Food & Wine Kiosks stored in it.

EDIT: Wait, yes I do remember seeing something on Denmark. I know I've got stuff floating around at home on it....somewhere.

Buried20KLeague

But only 2 of them are in Epcot. The water propulsion system was an ideal way of conveying guests, and topical in The Land and Mexico too. You certainly wouldn`t have liked it if Germany, Italy and Denmark had their water rides too! Incidentally, Germany and Italy were well placed with a gap between them for Switzerland - all 3 would have shared the same water purification and holding system.

You could have always taken a ride on Venezualas aerial cable car ;)

Stop being such a tease, Martin.

:ROFLOL:

mayoki

Yup, tis true:

A cruise down Germany's most famous rivers -- the Rhine, the Tauber, the Ruhr and the Isar. Detailed miniatures of famous landmarks will also be seen, including one of the Cologne Cathedral. Planned for the Germany Pavilion at Epcot. The building that would have housed the ride is still visible at the Germany pavilion along with the ride entrance section.

Where is the "ride entrance section" visible? I've spent many hours enjoying a beverage at the Germany pavilion and don't recall anywhere that looks like the entrance to a ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Where is the "ride entrance section" visible? I've spent many hours enjoying a beverage at the Germany pavilion and don't recall anywhere that looks like the entrance to a ride.
It used to be - the right hand arch as you look at the main entrance? The one with a mural in? That mural used to be 2 sets of wooden double doors which were locked. Knock on the mural. It`s hollow. Trust me ;)

wild01ride

At the front of the pavilion on the opposite end of the front wall from the Biergarten entrance (south-westcorner of the building)- there is a large archway that, if I recall correctly, was to be the queue/attraction entrance.

EDIT: D'oh, Marni beat me to it! Oh well, he's the authority on the subject (heck, all subjects), anyway!

hokielutz

It used to be - the right hand arch as you look at the main entrance? The one with a mural in? That mural used to be 2 sets of wooden double doors which were locked. Knock on the mural. It`s hollow. Trust me ;)

I'll be sure to check it the next time I am there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That is interesting. Are they going to build it or no? Germany should get a ride (so does some of the other countries).
Rhine River? No. It came close, but lost.
Marni beat me to it! Oh well, he's the authority on the subject (heck, all subjects), anyway!
Nah. Just a fan. A big one. :D

I knew I had a mural photo somewhere. I`ll apologise now if you were one of the guests sat at the tables which I reached over as I played knock on wood :D

Attachments

• IMG_4239web.jpg
    IMG_4239web.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 100

aladdin2007

Great picture, that wall is huge Ive not been back there in awhile. Too bad they cant at least add a movie back there, something. So I guess Germany is out for a new attraction and the focus is pretty much on Japan? Or would they just add something to one of the future pavilion land plots instead of adding a new country itself? Was just wondering if they plan on sticking to the formula or will they break away.

Since1976

I'm sad to say it, but the main reason I have never given Germany more than a quick walkthrough (if that) in 5 visits to Epcot is that it has no ride. I'm not big on German food, so there isn't much for me there.

As I've gotten older, I have become more interested in the more cerebrally pleasing aspects of the Disney parks (eg. the architecture), so I'll make a point of taking in the Germany pavilion when I visit again this December.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
By any chance do you have a picture of the area before the mural was put up?
I`ve searched high and low. Nope. Every official film clip is from outside, with the interior of the arch too dark to see. Same for photos. I`m still looking! I can confirm the mural has been there since at least 1989.

jt04

I`ve searched high and low. Nope. Every official film clip is from outside, with the interior of the arch too dark to see. Same for photos. I`m still looking! I can confirm the mural has been there since at least 1989.

If I remember right (a big if) it was an open area with a standard looking queue. Once they got tired of answering questions about it they put up the wall.

jt04

I would guess that they chose the Tauber to include a miniature Rothenburg as one of the most famous German cities with its historic timber framework architecture and the Isar to include, of course, Munich as it was not the largest but most popular city in former West Germany. And of course it was a West German pavilion, it was designed in the late 70ies and early 80ies, several years before reunification. I am sure that they would redesign the entire ride to include e.g. Berlin as the capital.
But I actually don't want just a German El Rio del Tiempo, I think the German Ride should have a different character and start as a fantasy and fairy tale ride. Many major fairy tales come from Germany and if we include national legends for example Siegfried killing the dragon, then we could give the ride even more thrills. I want it more like maelstrom then like El Rio.

Well said :sohappy:

mcjaco

I have a picture somewhere from 83 or 84 with the doors. It's a bad picture though, due to the darkness. I think you're right on about the time the mural was put up.

Oriolesmagic

If it ends up happening, I'd love to see it come out of the resturant like Mexico. That would be extremely cool...But then again Germany inside is just a place to eat, Mexico has stores...I guess they'd put it close to the trains on the right.

jiminy.cricket

Rhine River? No. It came close, but lost.
Nah. Just a fan. A big one. :D

I knew I had a mural photo somewhere. I`ll apologise now if you were one of the guests sat at the tables which I reached over as I played knock on wood :D
Isn't Biergarten right behind the mural, though? Was this ride's queue supposed to wind around the restaurant?

aladdin2007

I believe the Germany show building was made up of three main sections, or was it only two? I had read three somewhere but maybe it was just two. Anyway Biergarten is seperate and the ride would have occupied the right side so no the line would not have queued within it. I had also read that Biergarten ended up taking up the space where the ride would have been, so Ive heard both ways. Hopefully someone else can say which was which, now Im confused lol. I need to go back and read up on it. I think it was the Abrams Epcot book that said Biergarten replaced the ride space.

Oriolesmagic

I believe the Germany show building was made up of three main sections, or was it only two? I had read three somewhere but maybe it was just two. Anyway Biergarten is seperate and the ride would have occupied the right side so no the line would not have queued within it. I had also read that Biergarten ended up taking up the space where the ride would have been, so Ive heard both ways. Hopefully someone else can say which was which, now Im confused lol. I need to go back and read up on it. I think it was the Abrams Epcot book that said Biergarten replaced the ride space.

I read this on Wiki

A cruise down Germany's most famous rivers -- the Rhine, the Tauber, the Ruhr and the Isar. Detailed miniatures of famous landmarks will also be seen, including one of the Cologne Cathedral. Planned for the Germany Pavilion at Epcot. The building that would have housed the ride is still visible at the Germany pavilion along with the ride entrance section.

I wonder where the ride entrance section is?:shrug:

Oriolesmagic

I read this on Wiki

I wonder where the ride entrance section is?:shrug:

It would be cool if the line went through the upstairs portion of the restrant, visible from the tables.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Isn't Biergarten right behind the mural, though? Was this ride's queue supposed to wind around the restaurant?
Biergarten is to the east. Here`s another patented and highly complex technical composite by moi:

Rhine_River_2008_Compositeweb.jpg

The section that was built is at the front of the building, as I`ve said in previous threads. The unbuilt section contained the majority of the river and the maintainence spur at the rear. The concept art floating around the web shows a large boat - look closer and see this was actually the load area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom