Genie Plus question - is it worth it?

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Sorry for the spamming of posts but I'm in the active planning state for my February vacation. I saw some verbiage of Genie Plus and I'm doing my research but I'd like to get some perspective and opinions of those who know a lot more about this.

Here's what I know, adding Genie plus to my ticket package is a 745 dollar upcharge vs 362 for just the park hopper itself.
1636982212880.png

From what I understand I can reserve a ride for genie plus (provided its on the list) and I'll get a time to enter through the Lightening lane. If its not on the list then I can "buy" a lightening pass for the ride? Is the ala carte Lightening lane per day or per ride?

I see some discussions here, mostly complaining about Disney nickeling and diming us, and I'm not disagreeing, but I'm already in the hole for 12k for my WDW vacation (I don't say this as some weird flex but rather I'm already spending a boat load of money) I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish at this stage.

Here's my point of confusion.
So say, I buy Genie plus and I'll be at MK this morning I want to get on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. What advantages or disadvantages would there be, if I use Genie Plus to "reserve" a time for that ride, conversely What advantages or disadvantages would there be to buy a lightening lane reservation for that ride?

I've read so many conflicting articles, where one says there is no overlap in services to another stating there is an overlap. The general consensus where everyone does agree on, is that this is confusing.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Ok, so it seems as I keep doing my research, I'm getting a feel for these two services.

Genie Plus is fast pass EXCEPT that Disney's most popular rides are excluded from Genie Plus. So in my example above, its not possible to compare and/or contrast the two because I can only use the ala carte lightening lane for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

Upvote 0
You're correct. You can add it day-by-day if you prefer; that way, you can see how much use you actually get out of it on one particular day before spending nearly $400 on it in advance.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
This. We are going to try it first day in MK, will decide if we get it for second day after that.
I had a knee jerk reaction to just adding it to my ticket via the park hopper + genie option

I'm trying to wrap my head around the costs. I must be doing something wrong here. If I go the daily route, I'm look at 15 dollars per person per day. So 15 dollars times 4 people for 6 days equals 360.

However If log onto disneyworld.com and change my reservation by adding the park hopper and genie plus I 'm seeing a price difference of 383.40 What am I doing wrong? I would expect to a price increase of 360 so it should be 722.12

1637000113821.png

Upvote 0

Stevek

I had a knee jerk reaction to just adding it to my ticket via the park hopper + genie option

I'm trying to wrap my head around the costs. I must be doing something wrong here. If I go the daily route, I'm look at 15 dollars per person per day. So 15 dollars times 4 people for 6 days equals 360.

However If log onto disneyworld.com and change my reservation by adding the park hopper and genie plus I 'm seeing a price difference of 383.40 What am I doing wrong? I would expect to a price increase of 360 so it should be 722.12

View attachment 600823
Not 100% sure but also keep in mind that they do charge tax on the $15 Genie+.

Upvote 0

LeighM

I did consider buying it the day of for HS only because if you pre-purchase then you have to get it for every day of your ticket. I don't want it for Epcot bc it's not necessary. I've been following Allears trying to do research on Genie+ for my December trip. I would rather wait and buy it that day bc what if there's low crowds? You're paying for something you don't need. And I don't like that idea. And since you can only start making Lightning Lane and Individual Ride reservations at 7am that morning, I don't feel like buying early gives any advantage.

Upvote 0

lief13

If you have small kids who can't wait in lines longer than 30 minutes it is worth it. If your family can follow a touring plan and wait in some lines it is not. I found with my 5 year old son, it was worth every penny.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom