General thoughts on "Futuristic Architecture/Theming" in Disney and in general

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
Recently I was thinking about when things we consider that feel "futuristic", mostly in architecture, etc. and when they become "retro-futuristic" and what's the difference.

My theory is that futuristic architecture only works when it hasn't reached mainstream consciousness.

Example of a futuristic city background as seen in Horizons...(from ~40 years ago)
horizons-20.jpg

I always loved this background, and while some people can definitely say it feels of it's time, I don't think the style of those buildings have ever reached as much mainstream as other "futuristic" styling seen in other places.

Of course there are other things that can point to whether something feels futuristic. Using angles and types of building things which previously weren't possible...materials with new properties like color changing paint or multi-color lighting.

We see that in the WDW Tomorrowland until recently...considered to be "retro-futurism"

tomorrowland-night-magic-kingdom-disney-world-105.jpg

To me, this is considered retro, because it FEELS like familiar things from the 1940's and 50's...the neon lights, the Buck Rogers/ Flash Gordon aesthetic.

Question: If somehow the Imagineers created the above theme of Tomorrowland, and we didn't relate those to other things and created it as brand new, would it feel "futuristic" to us?

So I think pop culture has a lot to do with what we consider to be futuristic, and as such, also means that if it permeates in enough ways, even if it's color schemes, etc. Which also means that it can also quickly feel dated when it's widely adopted and people look for new ways to "feel" futuristic beyond that.

I know some people mistook this above Tomorrowland style with Steampunk which I vehemently disagreed with. It clearly isn't, even if it shares a few shapes. Discoveryland in Paris, at least in its original form, was much more Steampunk. I do believe a lot of that can come down to color schemes though, after thinking about it further. If our Tomorrowland at WDW replaced the neon with more normal lighting schemes and most of the yellows and blues and greens were replaced with brass and copper and silver color schemes, it could more easily pass for Steampunk.

Aside from Disney, one of my other favorite things growing up with the aesthetic of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Even though this show started in 1987, the bridge area still feels futuristic to me (clearly the original series didn't have the same longevity in style).

Again, I think the only things that define the era to me might be the beige colors, but generally in the 80's and 90's, most pop culture was much more bright colors and we didn't see this futuristic style expand everywhere. If so, it might feel more dated (though the haircuts and some of the outfits do definitely feel dated)

enterprise-d.jpg

Just some thought experiments I wanted to share with you all in case you had some feedback :)

cloudboy

This could get deep, but...

Design is inextricable from trends. And complicating matters, different people and different social groups react differently to trends. One of the challenges Disney has had is that because, ultimately, they are designing buildings (well, facades anyways) for essentially marketing purposes, whether to sell a product, an experience, or even just a theme or feeling, they haven't ever had the chance to design a truly timeless future design because the way we feel about the future is always changing.

The Tomorrowland style, I have no idea what to even call it, aged terribly because it tried to much to capture on a certain trend. And even then they didn't really want to be "futuristic" and so they played it safe and it aged quickly and terribly. A good futuristic look won't be dramatic or in your face, and I think Disney simply can't do that these days - too much demand to milk the profits out of anything, so they want the here today, replaced tomorrow kind of look they keep producing.

If you really want to look at some more timeless futuristic facades and buildings, look at the 64-65 Worlds Fair. The buildings often get criticized by design elites because it appealed too much to the everyday person, and it's association with an optimistic future, which today is so terribly tasteless to too many people, tends to alienate others, really those buildings still resonate with a promise of better days and better lives.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
Specifically the design of Tomorrowland or Future World for Disney must still come from some place that people recognize as "futuristic" definitely...it can't come from nowhere or be.....no pun intended, too alien.

"Is it futuristic or just weird?" could be a concern.

DVCakaCarlF

Sometimes future crosses “contemporary.”

For example, I feel like I’m living in the future when I see a mid century modern house, furniture lay out, or car interior.

The future is always a relative concept, as you said.

DVCakaCarlF

Specifically the design of Tomorrowland or Future World for Disney must still come from some place that people recognize as "futuristic" definitely...it can't come from nowhere or be.....no pun intended, too alien.

"Is it futuristic or just weird?" could be a concern.

The architecture is futuristic, sonny is weird.

DVCakaCarlF

This could get deep, but...

Design is inextricable from trends. And complicating matters, different people and different social groups react differently to trends. One of the challenges Disney has had is that because, ultimately, they are designing buildings (well, facades anyways) for essentially marketing purposes, whether to sell a product, an experience, or even just a theme or feeling, they haven't ever had the chance to design a truly timeless future design because the way we feel about the future is always changing.

The Tomorrowland style, I have no idea what to even call it, aged terribly because it tried to much to capture on a certain trend. And even then they didn't really want to be "futuristic" and so they played it safe and it aged quickly and terribly. A good futuristic look won't be dramatic or in your face, and I think Disney simply can't do that these days - too much demand to milk the profits out of anything, so they want the here today, replaced tomorrow kind of look they keep producing.

If you really want to look at some more timeless futuristic facades and buildings, look at the 64-65 Worlds Fair. The buildings often get criticized by design elites because it appealed too much to the everyday person, and it's association with an optimistic future, which today is so terribly tasteless to too many people, tends to alienate others, really those buildings still resonate with a promise of better days and better lives.

The pavilion buildings at Epcot are a great example of futuristic architecture.

LittleMerman

They could easily fix the dated-future problem of Tomorrowland if they changed it to "Discoveryland." It's easier to apply the idea of "discovery" to attractions than "the future," which they haven't been very successful at.

DVCakaCarlF

Exactly. And it's called Tomorrowland although almost nothing truly fits the theme.
So call it what then? Space land?

Tomorrowland isn’t going away. It holds a lot of meaning for people (shows, experiences, architecture) and, even if dated, it has the “originality” of being a place about the future.

I would also mention that the lights, music, sounds all contribute to the “architecture,” as well.

LittleMerman

Tomorrowland isn’t going away. It holds a lot of meaning for people (shows, experiences, architecture) and, even if dated, it has the “originality” of being a place about the future.

I would also mention that the lights, music, sounds all contribute to the “architecture,” as well.
I addressed it in my original post.

More than likely they would never change Tomorrowland's name/theme but I make strong points. Disney changes plenty of things that have a lot of meaning for people.

UNCgolf

I think Future World had more meaning to people than Tomorrowland and they didn't have any issue gutting that.

cloudboy

Disney has no qualms about changing anything. If it will sell more merchandise, then they will do it.

That being said, I think it has a place. They do need to get rid of the current overlay, which really works for no one. Go back to the clean look. Tey need a hoe for more modern story character such as Buzz Lightyear, The Incredibles, and Mosnters, Inc. And any new characters they come up with. I don't think it will be so much looking into the future as it will be futuristic, more of that mid-century modern vibe. Which in some way sis kind of ironic, as Toimorrowland played such a large part in developing that look.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom