• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

Jimmy Thick

Where did everybody go?
US, UK and France bomb selected sites in Syria.
Putin calls for an emergency session at the UN
Anyone have anything to say about any of this?
USA steps in when other countries get out of line and we "correct" them.

Russia will talk big but kowtow because they know they would have absolutely no chance in a war with America, none what so ever. Putin is a coward, he has no guts to make a call like war with the USA. He talks big but he's a jellyfish, no spine.

China and Bolivia can condemn the missile strikes all they want, they are not super powers and will not do anything to provoke war in that region or with the USA.

World War III isn't coming anytime soon, in fact, I'm more worried about Billy Mitchell's high scores being deleted than any possible war. Fake news is fake, in this case its click-bait for streaming internet ads.

21stamps

Advertisement
As far as I can tell, the idea of Germany as a big global player seems to be projected onto the country from abroad due to the country's economic power rather than coming from Germany's own ambitions.

I think you've got to understand how much Germans still live with the history of World War II, particularly those of an older generation. Living in Cologne, for example, everyday I used to walk past little gold markers scattered around the sidewalks with the names and dates of people who were taken out of homes around town and murdered in concentration camps. With this history, a lot of Germans don't like the idea of the country emerging as the dominant power in Europe, let alone 'the free world.' As was said to me multiple times living there, the whole point of the EU was supposed to be to stop Germany becoming too powerful again!

I also find it tough to see Germany as a rising world power as they aren't particularly outward looking in their foreign policy. Germany is interested in what goes on in Europe - which they do see as directly connected to their interests - but they don't conceive of their interests anywhere near as broadly as the US does. Germany's main priorities seem to be keeping the EU afloat economically and politically and counteracting Russian interference in the region. The UK and France, on the other hand, are traditionally empire-building countries that have a great deal of nostalgia for a time when they were big global players in way that Germany does not. You can see that in the way that Macron runs around trying to sort out Africa or the British eagerness to get involved in the Middle East and leave the EU to re-engage with the old British Commonwealth. Both also, of course, have long histories of involvement in the Middle East that Germany does not.

In a purely realist sense, what does Germany benefit from some targeted strikes on Syria? The Haaretz article cited above seems to criticise Germany for also not being involved in the invasion of Iraq or the bombing of Libya. But, were these really dumb or lazy decisions on Germany's behalf? Maybe they're just more clever in their foreign policy, which is why they don't waste so much money and so many lives on ultimately futile conflicts.
I agree with a lot of your post. Regarding the last paragraph though, I do think they’re trying to be clever. I just think it’s wrong. The reason for this is because if you’re going to have a seat and a vote at the U.N., and you’re going to be involved in international law, BUT, you are never willing to do anything to uphold it.. then what’s the point in being involved in the first place? Especially when Europe has a lot to lose by these chemicals being in existence.
There should be an expectation for the United Nations to actually put their money where their mouth is. That’s my ongoing frustration with the entire organization, and especially the countries who do have the resources to join together when needed.

21stamps

USA steps in when other countries get out of line and we "correct" them.

Russia will talk big but kowtow because they know they would have absolutely no chance in a war with America, none what so ever. Putin is a coward, he has no guts to make a call like war with the USA. He talks big but he's a jellyfish, no spine.

China and Bolivia can condemn the missile strikes all they want, they are not super powers and will not do anything to provoke war in that region or with the USA.

World War III isn't coming anytime soon, in fact, I'm more worried about Billy Mitchell's high scores being deleted than any possible war. Fake news is fake, in this case its click-bait for streaming internet ads.
I had a conversation about this last night. I’m not in fear of any WWlll... however, I am a bothered by the fake news and propaganda that Russia is putting out. It goes back to something I said a few days ago, I don’t think they want war with us.. but I do think they are willing to antagonize and cause problems.. how bad those problems could be? This is what worries me. Could they secretly finance groups who are against us? I don’t know, but it scares me a little.

Jimmy Thick

I had a conversation about this last night. I’m not in fear of any WWlll... however, I am a bothered by the fake news and propaganda that Russia is putting out. It goes back to something I said a few days ago, I don’t think they want war with us.. but I do think they are willing to antagonize and cause problems.. how bad those problems could be? This is what worries me. Could they secretly finance groups who are against us? I don’t know, but it scares me a little.
Propaganda? Remember the propaganda about Iraq's "Republican Guard" and how they were these elite and superior soldiers? I can tell you first hand they were crap, I was there they were nothing Iraqian propaganda machine made them out to be. No one will go against America simply because of the power and wealth we wield, its arrogant to be sure but true. The only true threat is extremists and terrorists, and ultimately an attack would be cutting their own throat.

Jimmy Thick

This is embarrassing:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...aga-hat-robbed-union-square-article-1.3931901

Danish teen tourist Jannich Andersen thought America was pretty great — until he tried wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat in Union Square.

A pair of Trump critics jumped the teen for sporting the red baseball hat — a centerpiece of the Don’s campaign for the White House — on Thursday, menacing him with a knife as they took it from them.

“I’m a little shocked,” Andersen, 18, said in an exclusive interview with the Daily News Friday. “Until then I had a very good experience (in the city).”

“I get it if someone gets offended and shouts something — but not go to where you pull out a knife and think it’s okay to stab someone over a hat,” he added.

Andersen bought the bright red hat as an inside joke for his father back in Denmark.

But the two men who grabbed him as he was about to enter the Union Square subway station at 5:40 p.m. found nothing funny with his choice of headwear.

“(One of them) looks at me and asks if I knew what the hat meant, what it symbolized and I said yes,” Andersen said. “He said, ‘You’re not gonna leave here with this (the hat).’”

After grabbing him from behind, one of the crooks ripped the hat off his head, but Andersen didn’t want to give it up that easily.

“I reached out to him and grabbed it back,” the teen said. “He pulled my shirt and ripped it. I get it back. I tried to walk back to the subway and just as I’m about to go downstairs he grabs it again and pushes me and ripped my shirt again.”

“Then in Danish one of our friends said one of the guys had a knife and I start to panic and look around and I let go of the hat,” he said.

The duo ran off with the controversial cap and have not been caught. Cops on Friday released a sketch of the assailant who flashed the knife and asked the public’s help identifying the suspects.
D)

Andersen, who was sporting a new “Make America Great Again” hat Friday, admits he doesn’t pay attention to Trump’s politics, unlike his two attackers.

Yet the lesson he learned was clear.

“I just think I shouldn’t really be wearing that hat,” he said. “My friend told me not to wear it 'cause someone will jump you, someone will get offended.”

Andersen’s attackers are described as white and in their 20s or 30s. The suspect in the sketch has very short hair, some facial hair and is about 6-feet tall. He was wearing a tan or brown jacket, dark pants and a baseball cap of his own.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.

People are now getting mugged over a Trump hat? Seriously we need to reinstate the military draft.

bhg469

This is embarrassing:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...aga-hat-robbed-union-square-article-1.3931901

Danish teen tourist Jannich Andersen thought America was pretty great — until he tried wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat in Union Square.

A pair of Trump critics jumped the teen for sporting the red baseball hat — a centerpiece of the Don’s campaign for the White House — on Thursday, menacing him with a knife as they took it from them.

“I’m a little shocked,” Andersen, 18, said in an exclusive interview with the Daily News Friday. “Until then I had a very good experience (in the city).”

“I get it if someone gets offended and shouts something — but not go to where you pull out a knife and think it’s okay to stab someone over a hat,” he added.

Andersen bought the bright red hat as an inside joke for his father back in Denmark.

But the two men who grabbed him as he was about to enter the Union Square subway station at 5:40 p.m. found nothing funny with his choice of headwear.

“(One of them) looks at me and asks if I knew what the hat meant, what it symbolized and I said yes,” Andersen said. “He said, ‘You’re not gonna leave here with this (the hat).’”

After grabbing him from behind, one of the crooks ripped the hat off his head, but Andersen didn’t want to give it up that easily.

“I reached out to him and grabbed it back,” the teen said. “He pulled my shirt and ripped it. I get it back. I tried to walk back to the subway and just as I’m about to go downstairs he grabs it again and pushes me and ripped my shirt again.”

“Then in Danish one of our friends said one of the guys had a knife and I start to panic and look around and I let go of the hat,” he said.

The duo ran off with the controversial cap and have not been caught. Cops on Friday released a sketch of the assailant who flashed the knife and asked the public’s help identifying the suspects.
D)

Andersen, who was sporting a new “Make America Great Again” hat Friday, admits he doesn’t pay attention to Trump’s politics, unlike his two attackers.

“I just think I shouldn’t really be wearing that hat,” he said. “My friend told me not to wear it 'cause someone will jump you, someone will get offended.”

Andersen’s attackers are described as white and in their 20s or 30s. The suspect in the sketch has very short hair, some facial hair and is about 6-feet tall. He was wearing a tan or brown jacket, dark pants and a baseball cap of his own.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.

People are now getting mugged over a Trump hat? Seriously we need to reinstate the military draft.
This is so sickening. I wouldn't ever wear one of those hats because the tacky factor is out of control. This sort of interaction seems far too common. You don't think like me? I will abuse you verbally or even physically. I have less of a problem with the verbal part, because it is the one who is attacking that loses in those cases, but an assault is never ok.

AJH219

This is embarrassing:

D)

This is why people laugh at America, not because of our president but because we have idiots like this.

Sir_Cliff

I agree with a lot of your post. Regarding the last paragraph though, I do think they’re trying to be clever. I just think it’s wrong. The reason for this is because if you’re going to have a seat and a vote at the U.N., and you’re going to be involved in international law, BUT, you are never willing to do anything to uphold it.. then what’s the point in being involved in the first place? Especially when Europe has a lot to lose by these chemicals being in existence.
There should be an expectation for the United Nations to actually put their money where their mouth is. That’s my ongoing frustration with the entire organization, and especially the countries who do have the resources to join together when needed.
I can understand your perspective on this, and I think it will come down to what people think is prudent or right in situations like this. My personal feeling since the beginning of the Syria conflict was that the only reason for the west to be backing the anti-Assad forces was to weaken Syria as an ally of Iran and Russia (that indeed hosts Russia's only Mediterranean port). The Assad regime is authoritarian, but at least it's relatively secular. I don't see a liberal democracy or a regime anywhere near as secular springing forth from the anti-Assad forces. So, a country like Germany that is not particularly interested in messing around in Middle Eastern politics might not see the point of getting involved. I also don't think we know what countries like Germany make of these reports of chemical attacks behind the scenes. It's possible that they're also not entirely convinced this was Assad.

OneofThree

I can understand your perspective on this, and I think it will come down to what people think is prudent or right in situations like this. My personal feeling since the beginning of the Syria conflict was that the only reason for the west to be backing the anti-Assad forces was to weaken Syria as an ally of Iran and Russia (that indeed hosts Russia's only Mediterranean port). The Assad regime is authoritarian, but at least it's relatively secular. I don't see a liberal democracy or a regime anywhere near as secular springing forth from the anti-Assad forces. So, a country like Germany that is not particularly interested in messing around in Middle Eastern politics might not see the point of getting involved. I also don't think we know what countries like Germany make of these reports of chemical attacks behind the scenes. It's possible that they're also not entirely convinced this was Assad.
Yes. The proof is in the putting. As a rule, the people of the countries we casually and summarily overthrow are no better off for our involvement. In some cases, they are worse off. It's not about "the people", and it never has been.

Do you read the articles you post? Or just the headlines?

It’s an article about nameless “officials”. There are plenty of articles/need stories by named Israeli officials. I’m sure you can find them with a google search.
So now of course Israelis are lying now too. Your ability to spin anything to fit your world view is amusing.

21stamps

The irony is: these statements by unnamed “Israeli officials” are neither official statements nor official positions of the Israeli government.
Exactly. 2 articles, both presented to us with - Spin, spin, and more spin.

And we wonder how ‘fake news’ and ‘alternative facts’ get spread around.lol...maybe because people are intentionally trying to present things in that way.

21stamps

The difference with Syria and other war torn countries, is Isis. It’s in everyone’s best interest to not allow them to gain large areas of a ‘home base’. That should apply to Germany as well.
Action as a result of chemical weapons, also in everyone’s best interest to react, including Germany.

I have to say that as I stayed up way too late on the night of the attack, I also had strong doubts about Assad being the perpetrator. It just didn’t make sense to me. But seriously, who else could it be? We, and Germany, can’t honestly believe Russia’s propaganda. I can’t entertain that England would do anything of the sort.

However, we went to war over faulty intelligence once before.. and I don’t want to be manipulated or deceived, or even innocently mislead into a repeat of the same, on any scale- full war or one reactive attack. I have to think that all 3 governments involved would require proof as to not make the same mistake again.

I wanted to put this story somewhere so I guess this is a good spot.

Not sure if everyone has heard of it, absolutely heartbreaking.

http://abc7.com/911-operator-says-she-couldnt-hear-teen-who-suffocated-in-van/3352387/

The City Council meeting ended horribly-
https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-new...ny-questions-remain-in-teens-death-inside-van

Why would Money even be brought up?!

I’m not bashing the police with the post.. but sometimes officials, from 911 to cops, do get things horribly wrong. They do deserve to be investigated, whenever it happens.