General political chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mom

Premium Member
I could never get an authentic lamb vindaloo at my nearby Indian restaurant. I think they took one look at me and decided I wouldn’t be able to handle the spice level. So we get it delivered . . .

When my daughter was studying in India, her host family would make "Laura " spicy dishes which they made more bland. They were still pretty hot! She also had to force down a dinner of liver when her host family took her to a friend's house. The friend "knew" that Americans liked meat, so served the meatiest thing they could think of - not knowing that my daughter was a vegetarian at the time. The same with fish - she was frequently served fish because she was a vegetarian.

EricsBiscuit

Advertisement
Her father is Afro-Caribbean, specifically Jamaican, and therefore the descendant of slaves. He himself claims the slaveholder Hamilton Brown as one of his ancestors, so that's hardly a scandal. I don't think it's at all unusual for descendants of enslaved Africans to have a white slaveholder among their forefathers.
The point is everything about her is fake. She started her career as a “public servant” by taking advantage of her affair with a career politician. She has never really stood for anything as she has stood for everything. I don’t see why everyone is hyping her up as some genius (I mean, compared to Biden ANYONE is a genius, he’s dumb as a rock) or great politician. I may disagree with Obama on everything but I like him as a guy and think he was a great politician who was very charismatic. Neither Kamala nor Joe are anywhere near Obama’s caliber.

Chi84

Premium Member
When my daughter was studying in India, her host family would make "Laura " spicy dishes which they made more bland. They were still pretty hot! She also had to force down a dinner of liver when her host family took her to a friend's house. The friend "knew" that Americans liked meat, so served the meatiest thing they could think of - not knowing that my daughter was a vegetarian at the time. The same with fish - she was frequently served fish because she was a vegetarian.
It’s amazing how many people consider fish a vegetable. Reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding: “What do you mean he don’t eat no meat? That’s okay - I’ll make lamb.”

"El Scorpion"

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The point is everything about her is fake. She started her career as a “public servant” by taking advantage of her affair with a career politician. She has never really stood for anything as she has stood for everything. I don’t see why everyone is hyping her up as some genius (I mean, compared to Biden ANYONE is a genius, he’s dumb as a rock) or great politician. I may disagree with Obama on everything but I like him as a guy and think he was a great politician who was very charismatic. Neither Kamala nor Joe are anywhere near Obama’s caliber.

She also polled at 2% during the primaries and had to drop out before Iowa. She wasn’t exactly all that popular. But now she makes the ticket a slam dunk? I don’t get it

Sanders’ former spokeswoman wasn’t necessarily glowing over the selection. I’m not convinced the Bernie Bros are going to buy into this ticket.

raven24

My son (adult now) loves curried chicken, and brought some to work for lunch (it's one of the few dishes he can make - he even went out and bought a rice cooker) - in Wichita. Most of his co-workers had never heard of it!

However, an Indian restaurant opened recently, and he has food delivered at least weekly. He's loving it.

Wait, most of his co-workers has never heard of what? Curried chicken?

Laketravis

1597374152929.png

Tony the Tigger

And the middle is firmly against defunding the police, civil unrest, sanctuary cities, and is firmly in favor of the 2A. All I’m saying is - don’t be too surprised.
I don’t know what point you’re trying to make here.

Biden is not for defunding the police, and he’s not against the 2A. Almost no one is against the 2A, just the bizarre interpretation that it permits AR-15’s. Sanctuary cities are just another in a long list of right wing bogeymen, and civil unrest is vague. Every American should support protests. That’s part of freedom. If you’re trying to say rioting, I’m certain Biden is not for that.

Tony the Tigger

I’m not convinced the Bernie Bros are going to buy into this ticket.
A number of them either aren’t, or are going along begrudgingly. They’re annoying me all over Facebook.

I don’t care. Their candidate lost. Nobody owes them anything. If their ideas won people over, they would have won. Again, the majority are in the middle, not the far left.

draybook

I don’t know what point you’re trying to make here.

Biden is not for defunding the police, and he’s not against the 2A. Almost no one is against the 2A, just the bizarre interpretation that it permits AR-15’s. Sanctuary cities are just another in a long list of right wing bogeymen, and civil unrest is vague. Every American should support protests. That’s part of freedom. If you’re trying to say rioting, I’m certain Biden is not for that.

Considering the AR-15 is a semi-automatic weapon, yeah, it is covered. Rifles themselves are used in roughly 3% of all firearms homicides. You guys really need to brush up on this stuff.

draybook

A number of them either aren’t, or are going along begrudgingly. They’re annoying me all over Facebook.

I don’t care. Their candidate lost. Nobody owes them anything. If their ideas won people over, they would have won. Again, the majority are in the middle, not the far left.

The irony in that statement given the premise of this entire thread...

LittleBuford

The United States Postal Service is in dire financial straits and has been hobbled by poor management, political control (as we may be seeing now), and burdensome regulation for decades.

In the end though, the Republican Party doesn’t like it because the USPS union donates overwhelmingly to Democrats and the Democratic Party likes it for exactly the same reason.

I would love for the USPS to continue operating in the same manner as the UK’s Royal Mail does today, or the postal services of Germany, Austria, and The Netherlands. Ben Franklin would be proud to see his institution achieve its maximum potential, free from government restriction and interference.
I didn’t see any answers to this, so I’ll give it a stab.

I think it may go back to the early 70’s when it was determined the USPS should be making a profit, thus becoming a quasi/independent part of the government. But to be fair, I don’t think it was ever politicized as much as now, just due to the state of polarization. For me, it’s simply about dependability. I don’t think there has ever been a time I’ve mailed something important and not constantly wondered and checked to see if it arrived, based on past performance. It’s been hit or miss most of my life. Especially to the big guy in red up north. Those were some pretty tense Christmas days...last year being the worst.

Thank you both for your answers.

Lilofan

How so? Wasn’t Bush’s 8 years he’ll? Obama’s?
Some of the ones in my area are worse off the last four years of their life. They hold the person running the country ( some even voted for the man in 2016 ) responsible. Have you ever worked for a company that is failing and hold the CEO accountable? Or do you find ways to defend him/her? Or deflect to mention Bush and Obama?

Last edited:

LittleBuford

In the UK, the national dish of the country is chicken tikka masala. The Indian population has even turned the country into loving their food! Instead of fries with ketchup, in the UK it's curry with chips. It's a good combination.

There’s no one agreed-upon national dish in the UK. Others would give that designation to fish and chips or roast beef with Yorkshire pudding.

Ketchup, brown sauce, or vinegar are the usual accompaniment to chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom