General political chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laketravis

Trump is deathly afraid of mail in voting option but he, his family, and Pence and Mother use that option 😒
I don't care what Trump is or isn't afraid of but personally I don't trust USPS and that's based on decades of experience.

If those who would like to see a mail in voting option would also support online voting, I could really get behind that. I think online voting is much more secure.

Chi84

Premium Member
Advertisement
Again, unless you are absolutely sure that a post is meant as a joke, do not use it. IMO, that is not expecting too much of a group of adults . If you choose not to self-moderate, then don't be surprised if I do it for you.
No, I meant it's a lot to expect of a moderator, not the person posting - first the moderator has to figure out whether someone is joking, then figure out the intent of the person laughing. When I said "you," I wasn't using it in the generic sense. I really meant you. Sorry if it was unclear.

21stamps

I've seen arguments go on over 5 pages on whether something was or was not a joke. Now you have to figure out why people are laughing? Seems a lot to expect. Wasn't there a guy on here not long ago who was laughing at just about everything?

Yes, he’s not here any longer, but now another poster is trying to follow in his footsteps. Lol

It must release endorphins or something, when you just go thru a poster’s comments and click “laugh face” on every one. Someone just did about 6 or 7 of mine a couple of days ago... none of the posts were funny.
It’s amusing, doesn’t bother me, but I realize it does bother some other people when it happens to their posts.

The Mom

Premium Member
Yes, he’s not here any longer, but now another poster is trying to follow in his footsteps. Lol

It must release endorphins or something, when you just go thru a poster’s comments and click “like” on every one. Someone just did about 6 or 7 of mine a couple of days ago... none of the posts were funny.
It’s amusing, doesn’t bother me, but I realize it does bother some other people when it happens to their posts.
It is a ploy frequently used by posters whose behavior - and failure to change said behavior - has caused them to be been banned from posting in certain threads. Using that emoji in an insulting manner is a way to continue the same behavior. That is why it is not allowed.

Quinnmac000

I don't care what Trump is or isn't afraid of but personally I don't trust USPS and that's based on decades of experience.

If those who would like to see a mail in voting option would also support online voting, I could really get behind that. I think online voting is much more secure.
Online voting is less secure and also requires a poll tax of requiring internet. Not everyone has access to internet especially elders.

and before you say well homeless people don’t have address so they can’t get mail they also don’t have internet so..

Lilofan

I have the opposite view of USPS. I've gotten to to know the mail carriers and the supervisors. We even give them Christmas presents. Mail in voting or any mail in general keeps them employed and they need jobs like everyone else. When you develop relationships with them they look out for you. Everyone has their take on many things.

Chi84

Premium Member

It must release endorphins or something, when you just go thru a poster’s comments and click “laugh face” on every one. Someone just did about 6 or 7 of mine a couple of days ago... none of the posts were funny.
People nowadays have it too easy. In the old days, when you wanted to laugh at someone, you had to reply to the post, call up a list of emojis, choose between 😆 😂 and 🤣 and then take your chances with having the post deleted. That's the way it was and we LIKED it!

Disclaimer: This is a joke.

Laketravis

Online voting is less secure and also requires a poll tax of requiring internet. Not everyone has access to internet especially elders
Exactly how is internet voting with authentication and tracking less secure than ballot by mail? I could assemble a very lengthy list of how postal mail is much less secure than internet.

Not everyone has access to a postage stamp, either. Especially elders. They have to venture out to buy them. And if they can venture out to buy postage stamps, they can venture out to their local library for free internet access if they would prefer to vote by internet.

Lilofan

People nowadays have it too easy. In the old days, when you wanted to laugh at someone, you had to reply to the post, call up a list of emojis, choose between 😆 😂 and 🤣 and then take your chances with having the post deleted. That's the way it was and we LIKED it!

It's ironic that a few posters in the non political threads have pointed out it's a relief that a poster that used to be there is no longer there..

Laketravis

I have the opposite view of USPS. I've gotten to to know the mail carriers and the supervisors. We even give them Christmas presents. Mail in voting or any mail in general keeps them employed and they need jobs like everyone else. When you develop relationships with them they look out for you. Everyone has their take on many things.
I can understand the warm fuzzies one might develop with their mailman, and I'm not suggesting that we DON'T do mail in voting. I'm suggesting we ALSO allow internet voting, which I am personally more comfortable with.

If you can have ballot by mail because you are comfortable with it, why can't I have ballot by internet which I feel is more secure?

Willmark

I've seen arguments go on over 5 pages on whether something was or was not a joke. Now you have to figure out why people are laughing? Seems a lot to expect. Wasn't there a guy on here not long ago who was laughing at just about everything?
Yes and the reason why there is this rule, why he can’t post on this sub forum and why he can’t use any emojis at all.

ETA: which is separate from another recently banned member.

Laketravis

Exactly. Having hosted and admin'd several other forums over the years, I'm done. There's no way. You couldn't pay me to be a mod now, much less host a forum about anything. I think some of the chat room bullies from the days of IRC and AOL still roam among us and now use forums for their own sense of validation and self worth. Between them and the ones who insist on expressing their opinion on every matter of interest to them and then take offense at anyone who offers a different opinion, being a mod is like...........um, no thanks.

Lilofan

I can understand the warm fuzzies one might develop with their mailman, and I'm not suggesting that we DON'T do mail in voting. I'm suggesting we ALSO allow internet voting, which I am personally more comfortable with.

If you can have ballot by mail because you are comfortable with it, why can't I have ballot by internet which I feel is more secure?
I believe in mail in ballot because I believe in the process and it can help PRESERVE USPS jobs.

Laketravis

I believe in mail in ballot because I believe in the process and it can help PRESERVE USPS jobs.
Did I miss a few posts? I'm fine with how you feel about USPS and if you want to mail in your ballot, good for you. I may not agree with you about preserving USPS jobs but that's an entirely different discussion aside from how we cast our ballots (primarily because I don't believe one additional piece of mail every four years is going to save any USPS jobs).

My point is, I feel exactly the same as you but about voting via the internet. So why can't I vote via the internet? Or with a secure app on my smartphone?

I haven't heard anything specific so far other than "it's not secure" - but I can argue the same about a piece of mail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom