General political chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

draybook

Mick Jagger was interviewed years ago about making a book on his life in the 1960s and 70s with the Stones. He claimed he couldn't because he couldn't recall much from those crazy times.

As long as he explains what he was thinking by acting in Freejack, I'd buy it.

ImperfectPixie

Advertisement
Just a reminder - the laugh emoji is not allowed as part of a "like" reaction.

I've spotted a few - please remove them. Thank you.
Is it not okay if the laughter is with the person who posted the comment? I was under the impression that was allowed.

The Mom

Premium Member
I double-checked because she parked her car behind his to block him...there was no mention of him parking on the street anywhere. The article on Yahoo stated that "he parked in a resident-designated parking spot outside the apartment complex, drawing the ire of the elderly resident". To me, that means the lot designated for the apartment building...labeling resident-only spaces in an apartment complex lot is very common. Plus, he was in a row of cars all parked next to each other...like in a parking lot.

I agree that the article is unclear about whether "resident" is referring to apartment resident, or resident of the neighborhood. So it could be satellite parking for the apartment complex, or a lot set aside for residents of the neighborhood because of the influx of people parking on the street due to the apartment complex. The article is not clear enough about the parking status.

Regardless, she was rude. And racist in her interaction, but not necessarily racist in the initial confrontation.

ImperfectPixie

I agree that the article is unclear about whether "resident" is referring to apartment resident, or resident of the neighborhood. So it could be satellite parking for the apartment complex, or a lot set aside for residents of the neighborhood because of the influx of people parking on the street due to the apartment complex. The article is not clear enough about the parking status.

Regardless, she was rude. And racist in her interaction, but not necessarily racist in the initial confrontation.
Very rude and very racist.

Part of me thinks it was racially motivated for four reasons: 1) the whole sex thing at the beginning, 2) she accused him of stealing something that didn't even belong to her, 3) she described Mexicans and Asians doing the same behaviors as "a-holes" and "sons of b-s" but didn't use racial slurs for them, and 4) she's operating under the HUGELY mistaken idea that all black people come/came here from Africa. There's A LOT of stereotyping going on there.

And thank you for clarifying on the laugh emoji.

Lilofan

I'm going to call this post -- The cautionary tale of Suwannee County Florida.

Little Suwannee County... Northern Florida county of only 44,000 people. DeSantis just celebrated the schools re-opening in Suwannee.
But Suwannee has a large prison -- which has had nearly 400 positive Covid cases.
But the cases haven't remained in the prison.

Most recent positivity rate is 22% in Suwannee. 45 deaths -- So more than 0.1% of the county has already been killed by the virus. (equivalent of over 300,000 deaths on a national level). Just yesterday alone, 412 cases were reported. So nearly 1% of the County reported positive in just 1 day -- that would be like 3 million positive new cases in 1 day on a national level. So far, there have been about 8700 tests in the county, so about 1/5th of the County has been tested, resulting in 1874 positive cases. So 4% of the county has tested positive -- the real infection rate is likely much higher. Meanwhile, kids are going to school. Masks are optional. Social distancing is "encouraged when possible."

Keep an eye on Suwanee County.
Hopefully the families have made out their wills. DeSantis is an embarrasment.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
But only if there is no doubt that someone posted something as a joke (see above post in this thread for an example) and the person using the emoji is laughing with the poster.
I've seen arguments go on over 5 pages on whether something was or was not a joke. Now you have to figure out why people are laughing? Seems a lot to expect. Wasn't there a guy on here not long ago who was laughing at just about everything?

Lilofan

What do you call the ignorant ones in blue states that lash out?
Same term. Read my response again If you need to. If you read the article Dray shared, the state was CA. Trick question?😒 But there will be a few more states turning blue come Nov 3rd😉

Last edited:

Laketravis

What a bargain!

That's cool, even if it is just for a bunch of old re-rerun movies. The food and drink combo for $5 is probably even bigger news since concession prices are simply outrageous:

"Other promotions after August 20 include bringing back titles like Inception, Black Panther, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Grease and Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back — for five bucks — and offering an array of $5 food and beverage combos."

The Mom

Premium Member
I've seen arguments go on over 5 pages on whether something was or was not a joke. Now you have to figure out why people are laughing? Seems a lot to expect. Wasn't there a guy on here not long ago who was laughing at just about everything?

Again, unless you are absolutely sure that a post is meant as a joke, do not use it. IMO, that is not expecting too much of a group of adults . If you choose not to self-moderate, then don't be surprised if I do it for you.

Lilofan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom