General political chat

Willmark

I strongly disagree with this statement Willmark, no Biden is not the be all end all but compared to Trump? Biden may not be the ultimate president, but YES on much more leadership.... I see a hundred bars up the civil and responsible scale from this new LOW that is Trumpism.....sure he will say many zingers and guffaws....and if people will not have anywhere near the amount of malarkey(lol its akin to comparing a pond to an ocean of garbage)......NOPE he will not be perfect, but the overall picture to the WORLD and for our own country will be vastly improved from day one....he will fix some things and help rebuild some of what has been lost imho.

It will be interesting for our choices for the following election 2024, I am praying that whomever it will be spends the next four years learning and strengthening what they have to offer this country, and wouldn't it be wonderful if we had TWO good choices to choose from? 👍;)
Which is your right as to how you view it.

Government has been the problem for (at least) 50 years (if not more), and Biden has been in government for close to that same time. He's part of the system that has given us bad government time and again (and then some) and more so than any other Senator has caused the SC fights to become so polarizing. And yes for those taking umbrage, that includes Obama in the part of the problem category too. (ETA: In fact the last time we had great or inspiring leadership was Truman. Eisenhower, Kennedy are in the Very Good to Good category; Nixon? Fail. LBJ, Below Average as was Ford, Exceptionally Poor for Carter; Very Good for Reagan, Good for Bush I, Good for Slick Willy, Below Average for Bush II, and Above Average for Obama, Trump? Trending towards every bit as Exceptionally Poor as Carter).

Leader? Biden's nothing more than a party apparatchik.

There is no sugar coating how poor of a choice Biden is, its simply a matter of whether or not one believes he's "better" than Trump. To me? Each suck in their own unique way and hence why I'm voting for the only sane choice when it comes to a Jo (Joe) in 2020... Jo Jurgensen.

We do have a good choice this time around, but its even more magnified now because each side is busy making sure it's either Trump or Biden, or more importantly to them: making sure its not their poltical opponent, maybe more so. It's a shame people (not saying you) will continue to be part of the system that propagates the cycle. Neither side is interested in change each wants power just as much as the other, they want a super majority so they can rule without the minority party to stop them. I want both parties nerfed so they can't do what they chastise the other side for when they are out of power, but then turn around and do the minute they are in power.

Sorry for the digress but I don't see either the Dems or the Repubs as having pure motives here, but definitely self serving ones.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Advertisement
Still not accurate when I pointed out that was not an actual Tweet back in April:

While Trump's leadership is poor to non-existent he did not say this.
Thanks for the correction. I assumed from its prevalence on the internet that it was a genuine tweet that he had since deleted like this mornings "Sleep Joe Biden" tweet.

Willmark

Thanks for the correction. I assumed from its prevalence on the internet that it was a genuine tweet that he had since deleted like this mornings "Sleep Joe Biden" tweet.
For the record, I'm not defending him (as some allege around these parts). Didn't vote for him in 2016, I'm not in 2020.

I do like to be accurate in discussions however.

Lilofan

Minneapolis PD must pay very well.
FL real estate prices are generally lower at least compared to CA, NYC, NJ in terms of what you pay for. Windermere FL condos are approx $250K and up. Typical condo with recreational amenities , good area, a few miles from WDW and the best part no state income tax. Officer Chauvin as a 19 year cop and working security at the same Latino bar/nightclub for 17 years probably saved and invested to buy a second home and then some. He could have even been an annual passholder! Looks like another FL condo near Magic Kingdom will be on the market in the near future!

kong1802

I’m encouraged by the way our discourse has gone these last two days, not because you guys are being critical of Trump.

We have to be able to criticize “our guy” and not be worried about the political ramifications. If your guy is democrat, don’t blindly back them. Still be critical. That’s the only way we get better leaders.

And again no one should be directing outrage at supporters. It’s the politicians that need to be accountable.

MinnieM123

The Secret Service makes the security decisions to move to a safe location - blaming Trump for being in the bunker makes no sense because he has no say in the matter.
Exactlly -- this isn't a personal choice by any President. From what I've learned about the Secret Service, they are an elite group of security professionals, guarding the President of the United States. If they determine that he needs to go to the bunker (it was only a few hours from what I just heard), I trust their judgment. They're doing their job.

aw14

I’m encouraged by the way our discourse has gone these last two days, not because you guys are being critical of Trump.

We have to be able to criticize “our guy” and not be worried about the political ramifications. If your guy is democrat, don’t blindly back them. Still be critical. That’s the only way we get better leaders.

And again no one should be directing outrage at supporters. It’s the politicians that need to be accountable.
Let's also be critical of looters and rioters, or anyone who breaks the law

Willmark

Some of us been critical of Trump just not as much as some have wanted us to be. And he's definitely not my guy, wasn't in 2016, isn't now. I've "supported" him the same way I did Obama: the fact they are the President. Doesn't mean I liked either.

What some around these parts have issue with is that some (like me) are definitely not fans of the Democrat party either. In my view they both suck and why I want neither. I slam the Democrat party more here because the issues that matter most to me are the ones they are most likely to trample on.

TINKWINGS

Premium Member
Which is your right as to how you view it.

Government has been the problem for (at least) 50 years (if not more), and Biden has been in government for close to that same time. He's part of the system that has given us bad government time and again (and then some) and more so than any other Senator has caused the SC fights to become so polarizing. And yes for those taking umbrage, that includes Obama in the part of the problem category too. (ETA: In fact the last time we had great or inspiring leadership was Truman. Eisenhower, Kennedy are in the Very Good to Good category; Nixon? Fail. LBJ, Below Average as was Ford, Exceptionally Poor for Carter; Very Good for Reagan, Good for Bush I, Good for Slick Willy, Below Average for Bush II, and Above Average for Obama, Trump? Trending towards every bit as Exceptionally Poor as Carter).

Leader? Biden's nothing more than a party apparatchik.

There is no sugar coating how poor of a choice Biden is, its simply a matter of whether or not one believes he's "better" than Trump. To me? Each suck in their own unique way and hence why I'm voting for the only sane choice when it comes to a Jo (Joe) in 2020... Jo Jurgensen.

We do have a good choice this time around, but its even more magnified now because each side is busy making sure it's either Trump or Biden, or more importantly to them: making sure its not their poltical opponent, maybe more so. It's a shame people (not saying you) will continue to be part of the system that propagates the cycle. Neither side is interested in change each wants power just as much as the other, they want a super majority so they can rule without the minority party to stop them. I want both parties nerfed so they can't do what they chastise the other side for when they are out of power, but then turn around and do the minute they are in power.

Sorry for the digress but I don't see either the Dems or the Repubs as having pure motives here, but definitely self serving ones.

Yes I know you feel Jo Jurgensen is the best choice, and I do applaud idea that this could be a better choice, but I also know with our two party system it isn't going to happen, I wish there was a better system period. So yes I DO feel without a doubt, that Joe Biden is a far better choice than trump.....(so my complaint is that you consider them so similar when they are NOT) Will the Dems or Repubs learn anything from the past 4 years chaos? Doesn't seem many of them have, but just maybe some have.....just maybe.....there is still hope.....anything is possible!!! I for one would love to see some quality people selected for top positions who are experts in fields Mr. Biden is not, and that those people will be allowed to do their job and help President Biden do his job, and not be fired and replaced with the frequency of a revolving door at Macy's in NYC during Christmas rush...…. :rolleyes:.

So remember too that I am comparing the 2 persons, and agree both parties have major issues, I don't belong to any party myself....so my thoughts are more myopic but that's how I flap......;)

Last edited:

Laketravis

Premium Member
FL real estate prices are generally lower at least compared to CA, NYC, NJ in terms of what you pay for. Windermere FL condos are approx $250K and up. Typical condo with recreational amenities , good area, a few miles from WDW and the best part no state income tax. Officer Chauvin as a 19 year cop and working security at the same Latino bar/nightclub for 17 years probably saved and invested to buy a second home and then some. He could have even been an annual passholder! Looks like another FL condo near Magic Kingdom will be on the market in the near future!
Might have been an income property as well.

BuddyThomas

From the Associated Press: “As cities burned night after night and images of violence dominated television coverage, Trump’s advisors discussed the prospect of an Oval Office address in an attempt to ease tensions. The notion was quickly scrapped for lack of policy proposals and the president’s own seeming disinterest in delivering a message of unity.”

Grotesque incompetence at every level.

Perhaps he could come out of his bunker for just a few minutes to recommend a new drug for Covid-19 or take credit for another space launch. We so look forward to these helpful appearances.

spacemt354

Chili's

I said from the beginning ever since he was elected - rooting for a president to fail is dumb. It's like being on a plane and rooting for the pilot to fail. So I'm almost always an optimist while the President is in office. If it's Biden next January you won't see my demeanor change.

I think the discussion today shows that many of us are critical thinkers, and many people vote for promised policies not politicians. Trump promised law and order - makes total sense to me to see supporters be critical.

On another note I had seen that there appears to be mixed messaging in the White House advising. Jared Kushner allegedly is the one advising no public speech, while others are saying he should.

Honestly - if he doesn't do one by tomorrow night (will give 36 more hours) I'll just say it, he will lose the election. That's how critical this moment is to seize. It's superseded Covid. It's national security.

MinnieM123

Boston was doing great - even giving out masks to protesters, and individuals were being invited to speak at the protests
I saw Mayor Walsh's press conference today, along with the Boston Police Commissioner and others. There had been a largely attended, peaceful protest yesterday. Last night, the situation turned into mayhem, but it really doesn't take many people to ruin it for everyone else.

Also, I watched an interview on a local station with a resident who lived on Newbury Street. The break-ins and looting of multiple high-end stores over there were organized by gangs. He said that he saw cars drive up in groups, and men targeted specific stores to rob. They threw armfuls of items into the cars -- and then sped off. These criminals were just taking advantage of the chaos, and had nothing to do with the protest.

spacemt354

Chili's
I saw Mayor Walsh's press conference today, along with the Boston Police Commissioner and others. There had been a largely attended, peaceful protest yesterday. Last night, the situation turned into mayhem, but it really doesn't take many people to ruin it for everyone else.

Also, I watched an interview on a local station with a resident who lived on Newbury Street. The break-ins and looting of multiple high-end stores over there were organized by gangs. He said that he saw cars drive up in groups, and men targeted specific stores to rob. They threw armfuls of items into the cars -- and then sped off. These criminals were just taking advantage of the chaos, and had nothing to do with the protest.
Newbury Street was one of my favorite areas of Boston - I used to live very close to it. I saw some of the air coverage of it, just awful. :(

draybook

Speaking for myself, I'll roast anyone when it warrants it. I definitely don't show loyalty to one party just like I don't show loyalty to my ethnic group. I always try to be just about the facts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom