General political chat

Timmay

Advertisement
And we thought it was nuts a week ago. What’s on deck for next week - pandemic spike, alcohol shortage, locust-flavored hurricanes, vampire ants, and Trump pardoning R. Kelly?
The strangest possibility at this point would be...nothing. Peace and quiet.

Laketravis

Premium Member
The (majority) of daytime protests are peaceful. They want to share their grief, anger, and frustration, and hope to pursue reform. Nighttime is drawing a different crowd, many of whom want to fight, loot, and destroy.
It really isn't any more complicated than this - one group is sincerely interested in peaceful demonstration, have their say and go home. The other group is only interested in watching cars or buildings burn, throwing fireworks at police, and looting Target for Legos or liquor stores for beer, and nightfall is their opportunity.

All but one arrested in Austin are local, not bused in from out of town or infiltrating the groups:

And then some go out and help cleanup the next day:

draybook

In all fairness, what did some of you expect Disney to say? Of course they're "saddened" and all of that jazz. You think a multi-billion dollar company isn't going to express their "outrage" and sadness in a situation like this. Do you really think that Iger and Chapek go to bed thinking about race relations and/or police relations?

Soon, everything will go back to status quo and everyone will forget this. If you think otherwise, you haven't been paying attention for the past xx amount of years...

Wendy Pleakley

Woah I woke up , and almost everyone agreed with my Trump post. I am shook. He truly is MIA right now. What the country truly needs is a leader right about now, and he is not it.
He certainly should, but it's hard to envision how he can do so in a useful way.

He previously dismissed peaceful #BlackLivesMatter protest actions, so speaking out on the issue now would ring hollow.

Disney Analyst

Yes. He needs to stand up and address the nation. Some on the left will hate him whether he speaks or doesn't, but for the rest of us - I'd like to have a leader, not a Tweeter.
It’s the same for every president. The other side. Or some on the opposing side may hate them, may hate every word. Every policy.

But I don’t think any of us think that Bush didn’t show leadership in the moments after 9/11 (Not getting into the war). Or that Obama didn’t show moments of great leadership and trying to bring unity during his tenure.

spacemt354

Chili's
It’s the same for every president. The other side. Or some on the opposing side may hate them, may hate every word. Every policy.

But I don’t think any of us think that Bush didn’t show leadership in the moments after 9/11 (Not getting into the war). Or that Obama didn’t show moments of great leadership and trying to bring unity during his tenure.
Obama might have meant well - but he is one of the reasons why we have Trump, so I wouldn't say he did a great job uniting anything. He's a great orator, but words fell flat to actions.

Bush I don't want to even get into because 9/11 is a raw memory for me. His administration was pathetic top to bottom.

Disney Analyst

Obama might have meant well - but he is one of the reasons why we have Trump, so I wouldn't say he did a great job uniting anything. He's a great orator, but words fell flat to actions.

Bush I don't want to even get into because 9/11 is a raw memory for me. His administration was pathetic top to bottom.
My only point really is that they both showed moments of leadership, of attempting to bring unity. Trump has been useless. This was his chance, he blew it.

We need to remember. A president is just a human. They can’t fix everything. They can’t wave their hand and make it all better. They have so many other forces around them, at play.

I think the basic thing we all expect is someone to lead. Unite. Speak well. Send the country in a positive direction. Hopefully that person also brings prosperity, growth, and evolution to the country.

These moments in history, a moment just like this, is the test of any president. No one could expect one person to solve this, but they can be a leader. They can attempt to bring some unity or calm.

Trump failed. And whatever he does, when he does it, is too late.

Top Bottom