General political chat

DoubleJ21

Corporation owned places. The small businesses put signs up saying minority owned and they did not get looted. Was watching the whole thing on Facebook live yesterday. I'm sure most media will not pick up on that little fact tho.
I’ve worked for a large retail giant. People that work for and are employed in these stores are no different than the people that work at small businesses or mom and pop stores. From the store manager, to the supervisors, to the sales associates, to housekeeping, to loss prevention, to stockroom managers, to inventory managers, to cashiers, to display and marketing supervisors. They don‘t deserve to bear the burden. They had nothing to do with this.

Willmark

Advertisement
There's some compelling evidence out there that yesterday's escalation was touched off by agents provocateur.
Whether this gentleman was a recreational anarchist or a person somehow affiliated with law enforcement is unclear, but he certainly was not in commune with the protesters.

This? distinct possibility to the bolded. The second allegation: while possible, how likely?

thenerdbaker

I have a question: were you there? I ask because I have not seen what triggered the riots, only the aftermath. So unless you have a link, which I'd be willing to read. The Police have a duty to enforce law and order. If they triggered it by trying to do that please share.

Storm?

And no, people here tried to call it "terrorism" (you may or may not have been in that group) yet there was arson, rioting, looting and general civil unrest last night in Minneapolis.

That the protestors at the state capital didn't commit arson, rioting, looting and general civil unrest or terrorism as some people tried to conflate it to.

Because one protest was not breaking the law and the other protest was breaking multiple.

Yes they sure showed the businesses that had nothing to do with the killing.

Actually most Americans I've talked to have called it murder and there should be a trial. I dont think too many people will condone arson, rioting, looting and general civil unrest, maybe it's just me?

Yes and some will even be sympathcic to the arson, rioting, looting and general civil unrest as evidenced by your responses.
So this is not about race at all. Wow I must be so dumb. I can't believe how dumb I must be to jump to the conclusion that this is a race issue. Wow so I must also be wrong in thinking that if black men stormed a capital building with fire arms they would shot on the spot. Wow just wow. I can't believe I ever thought this was about race 🙄

Willmark

So this is not about race at all. Wow I must be so dumb. I can't believe how dumb I must be to jump to the conclusion that this is a race issue. Wow so I must also be wrong in thinking that if black men stormed a capital building with fire arms they would shot on the spot. Wow just wow. I can't believe I ever thought this was about race 🙄
You keep using that word...

DoubleJ21

If that's a high-crime area, why wouldn't Target deploy loss prevention measures?
I worked for a store whose corporate office designated our store as “low-theft.”

We experienced theft on a daily basis, I would estimate an average of 4 times per day and that’s just the ones we caught. Annual inventory surveys showed we lost around 10 to 15 percent of our merchandise.

aw14

Places that pushed out minority owned businesses setting the stage for gentrification and pushing the community out. Fixed it for ya.
Oh gotcha. So that actually goes for all targets, Wendy’s, McDonalds, and targets. So it isn’t just minority business.

Yet who do you think worked there? It was a foolish feigned outrage, and stealing TVs to show your anger? Save me the BS

hakunamatata

Wake me up when its over
Premium Member
It wasn't a peaceful protest but the MN people who burned and looted from all diverse backgrounds perhaps feel powerless and frustrated. They needed to take control of something. It's not right but I remember like it was yesterday the not guilty verdict of the 4 police officers during the Rodney King trial in 1992. Parts of Los Angeles exploded in rage.
I totally agree and the rage is real. But what I am referring to is that fine line, where justified rage goes to selective crime. Going from business to business and selecting which ones you burgle or burn because they don't have a sign because you think they may be part of the problem is crime. Its not righteous or virtuous. Its crime.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Where is the evidence that Target is deploying loss prevention measures that target poor people in their store? Or is that just baseless speculation?
Based on the account, I think it’s speculation. What may be true (my speculation) is that particular location was specifically chosen by Target to help a lower income area. I’m not familiar with Minneapolis though.

thenerdbaker

I can not believe some of you are saying this whole mess is not a race issue. It clearly is a race issue. I still want at least one of you to say a group of black men would have been treated the same as the white men that stormed that capital building. You can't because you know it's not true. Its also not true that that people of color are treated the same by cops as whites. Period!

ImperfectPixie

Indeed, and your post reminds me of this excerpt from Dr. King’s Other America speech:

”I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.”
I will never disagree that the poor continue to get poorer as the rich become richer...the system is rigged for that to occur, and major changes need to happen.

But...MLK also said:
“The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate...Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

Willmark

I can not believe some of you are saying this whole mess is not a race issue. It clearly is a race issue. I still want at least one of you to say a group of black men would have been treated the same as the white men that stormed that capital building. You can't because you know it's not true. Its also not true that that people of color are treated the same by cops as whites. Period!
There's that word again (second time I've seen it used for those keeping score at home).

I should think anyone "storming" a state capital is asking for trouble. As it were I didn't see any "storming".

And to head you off at the pass: I was on record as it being a dumb idea and not one I would have done personally.

Bairstow

This? distinct possibility to the bolded. The second allegation: while possible, how likely?
Couldn't say, but there's a long and storied tradition of American law enforcement agencies (and police around the world), ( or perhaps those sympathetic to them) posing as protesters and inciting violence to deflect public attention away from the subject of the protest. If it was this person's goal to steer the yesterday's events in a way that would change the national conversation away from confronting racism in law enforcement and towards condemning looters and rioters, he succeeded famously, and then disappeared into the crowd.

draybook

If you search my posts from a week or two ago in here, you'll see the numerous links I posted in which armed black men did indeed march AND stormed the California state capitol without harm.

Top Bottom