General political chat

DoubleJ21

Advertisement
If this is legit, this is huge. The exec order will revisit Sec 230(c) and essentially force social media outfits to define themselves as true Platforms (and thus not liable for their user's content, but ALSO not allowed to censor beyond the law), OR define themselves as Publishers (in which case they get to censor all they want, but would then be *liable* for their allowed content).

I had a feeling Trump would go after them in this way. While it has some appeal, I'm completely against it.

Section 230 is designed to grant legal immunity to online platforms for the content their users post. A website will, under other circumstances, be liable for publishing libelous or slanderous content. If a platform is censoring certain points of view, one can argue that they are behaving less like a platform and more like a publisher with an editorial board.

That said, Section 230 has allowed tremendous innovation to occur on the Internet. Websites from WDWMagic to Twitter can exist because these protections exist. Getting rid of them would be detrimental to online innovation. Platforms, for obvious reasons, do not have enough staff to be able to take down every objectionable post, nor are they willing to allow every post to remain on the platform.

Thankfully, this Executive Order is DOA.

MinnieM123

Boston Marathon cancelled.
This is a sad, but understandable decision. I know that the Mayor (and his colleagues) were struggling with this, and hoping that the potential September (rescheduled) date might work. But as time went on, it became clear that it just wasn't meant for this year. :(

Grimley1968

If true:

Curious that NY is such an outlier in the data despite having the most Covid deaths. Makes one wonder just how reliable 100k deaths overall is?
Apparently their % of nursing home Covid deaths was so low relative to other states because they did not count those who died in hospitals, but came from nursing homes.

ImperfectPixie

I had a feeling Trump would go after them in this way. While it has some appeal, I'm completely against it.

Section 230 is designed to grant legal immunity to online platforms for the content their users post. A website will, under other circumstances, be liable for publishing libelous or slanderous content. If a platform is censoring certain points of view, one can argue that they are behaving less like a platform and more like a publisher with an editorial board.

That said, Section 230 has allowed tremendous innovation to occur on the Internet. Websites from WDWMagic to Twitter can exist because these protections exist. Getting rid of them would be detrimental to online innovation. Platforms, for obvious reasons, do not have enough staff to be able to take down every objectionable post, nor are they willing to allow every post to remain on the platform.

Thankfully, this Executive Order is DOA.
I agree with you...however...Facebook, Twitter, and the like all have terms of service and community standards which users agree to upon using their websites. Frankly, their enforcement of their own standards is far below what should be considered acceptable levels.

Club Cooloholic

Apparently their % of nursing home Covid deaths was so low relative to other states because they did not count those who died in hospitals, but came from nursing homes.
Well, isn't that the same for all the states included in this? Its deaths IN nursing homes, not hospitals unless I am reading it wrong.

spacemt354

Chili's
I agree with you...however...Facebook, Twitter, and the like all have terms of service and community standards which users agree to upon using their websites. Frankly, their enforcement of their own standards is far below what should be considered acceptable levels.
A forum derives from Latin and dates all the way back to Ancient Rome - social media is the 21st century forum. It's a slippery slope in either direction, and I'm just not comfortable with what I've seen from some of these companies.

But reading the pre-draft EO, it sounds like all bark and no bite to me. It seems to be requesting a look at 230 - whether something comes of it down the road is TBD.

Lilofan

If this is legit, this is huge. The exec order will revisit Sec 230(c) and essentially force social media outfits to define themselves as true Platforms (and thus not liable for their user's content, but ALSO not allowed to censor beyond the law), OR define themselves as Publishers (in which case they get to censor all they want, but would then be *liable* for their allowed content).

If Trump is against Twitter and Social Media, why does he always use Twitter to get his message across?

Grimley1968

If true:

Curious that NY is such an outlier in the data despite having the most Covid deaths. Makes one wonder just how reliable 100k deaths overall is?
Source document for data in that article: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17JmyFzOd3ZEYCGpP0mK5lS_P10yPgCuYF8PYALKuTs8/edit#gid=0

Another column that might be more useful is the one titled "Est. % of Nursing & Residential Care Home Residents Dead". New York's % in that column is 2.55%, which is quite high compared to most states, which usually had a % of well under 1. The only states that seemed to have higher %'s in this column were other northeastern states, but with much smaller nursing home populations, and/or other states with similar orders to accept Covid patients. Those orders collectively are an extremely tragic policy mistake, and it can be vividly seen in that spreadsheet.

Disney Analyst

Found this article on Twitter, happened May 16th. My goodness, total insanity. Hope the 90 year old falling was just an accident and the video makes it look worse.

What was so threatening with the man on the ground sobbing?

ImperfectPixie

Found this article on Twitter, happened May 16th. My goodness, total insanity. Hope the 90 year old falling was just an accident and the video makes it look worse.

What was so threatening with the man on the ground sobbing?

WOW...not the way to react to being pulled over.

Top Bottom