General political chat

Club Cooloholic

I wont deny that I am sure there are plenty of intelligent people at the Trump Rally, but I also doubt it was all that hard to find the people featured in that video :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy Pleakley

Advertisement
If Trump is unhappy with Twitter, why can't he just choose not to use that service?

That would be the mature and reasonable thing to do. I guess I answered my own question.

It's not like the President of the United States doesn't have plenty of other means to get his messages out.

Sounds like big government intruding and telling private companies how to run their own businesses. Just the kind of thing conservatives would be up in arms over if they weren't so blindly devoted to their leader.

ImperfectPixie

If Trump is unhappy with Twitter, why can't he just choose not to use that service?

That would be the mature and reasonable thing to do. I guess I answered my own question.

It's not like the President of the United States doesn't have plenty of other means to get his messages out.

Sounds like big government intruding and telling private companies how to run their own businesses. Just the kind of thing conservatives would be up in arms over if they weren't so blindly devoted to their leader.
ANYONE should be worried about this.

ImperfectPixie

Also...being a conservative does not equal being a Trump supporter. Some are...but not all.

Willmark

I gotta say, its just freaking heartbreaking to watch that video, to see citizens pleas ignored, to see that man's life snuffed out like that, in broad daylight in front of all those witnesses. So brazen, I am truly sickened by it.
First off- agree the officers actions are sickening.

Second- I wonder why they haven’t released the officers vest cams (assuming they have them).

Something seems “off” He’s not resisting arrest in the second video (or the first). So how do they go from him being cuffed, walking him to the car, to an officer kneeling on his neck causing his death? In other words what transpired? And note, I’m only asking to find out, not to excuse the officers actions lest anyone misconstrue.

Club34

This is dangerous. I can't imagine anyone one here, regardless of sides, want government interfering in social media.

The only interference I want is finding troll bots and foreign bots spreading misinformation and stopping them.
While I can understand the concern of something like this being floated, especially from a man like trump, these private companies are ripe with algorithms that are under their direct control which filter and rank what people see. They influence what rises to the top and what gets buried. Please understand that this is not my position per se. Social media has been a remarkable addition to our society. And as I stated in a previous post, social media has amplified our best and our worst. Lies from all walks proliferate through this media. I don't know what the solution is since they are private. I do not care for some of the voices on this media, but I do not know if I fully support the termination of the Alex Jones of the world based on the notion of these silicon valley cats. This is definitely a complex issue. It will get some airtime if trump inserts himself into the mix. For those needing a primer, I recommend the 2 Rogan podcasts with the Twitter ceo, Jack Dorsey. Very interesting.

In summary- the notion of government interference should give us pause, but remember these private companies are "interfering" in their own less than transparent ways. Should they be allowed to because it is a private company and they can do what they want? Or should it be treated as a public forum and everyone should be treated equally/fairly without interference from the parent company?

What he is saying is just stupid rhetoric and plus he’s venting as well. The dude should really not have Twitter. He sometimes digs himself an even bigger hole. However he does have a point conservatives are shadow Anne day and have their stuff messed with on Twitter just because they are conservatives. That’s just wrong in my opinion, however the government should not interfere in social media. Heck China does that.
See, I think twitter is the least of his problems. Twitter merely allows everyone to see/hear this guy's deficits in the 21st century.

I apply the same logic to twitter that I do to the complaints about this site's moderation. Liberals complain that Jack is a fascist that isn't doing enough to curtail misinformation and smear campaigns. Conservatives claim that their viewpoints are being censored.

If both sides complain about you being biased towards the other, you're probably doing something right.
I disagree a bit. I don't know that it would be merely liberals complaining about misinformation or smear campaigns. There are lies from all walks on these platforms. I think that conservatives may have a case in that the algorithms behind "the curtain" control who see what and when. Then there is the issue of people being removed from the platform. I don't know that it is altogether fair. I have no proof that it isn't but these types of concerns have been raised for awhile now. Again, I point to the Rogan podcasts with Dorsey. I think in one of them he floated this idea of 2 twitters- one regulated and fact checked and then another where its thunderdome and anything goes.

>>>since writing the stuff above, apparently a leak of the order as occurred...

So much irony with trump writing such an order. While the order certainly has merit coming from this guy sounds like he basically admitting to lying and saying I will continue to lie so leave me alone. We've lost ourselves and we are in a death race to the bottom.

Or even sued. Moderating these forums can't be easy at the best of time. Now I can complain if someone said something inappropriate to me and I wasn't happy with the moderator's response. I feel like this is opening up a big can of worms.
To be fair, it was a can of worms the minute social media became a thing. Someone has to open it. I'm just not sure trumpnation is prepared for "winning" this one.

First off- agree the officers actions are sickening.

Second- I wonder why they haven’t released the officers vest cams (assuming they have them).

Something seems “off” He’s not resisting arrest in the second video (or the first). So how do they go from him being cuffed, walking him to the car, to an officer kneeling on his neck causing his death?
They did release it. Its edited though...I think.
-------------------------------------------

In other news...

Sweden. Wisconsin. Something is on the rise and it ain't summertime temps.

A great video, talking about liberty and the virus. Warning: they are "liberal-ish?"

Lilofan

What's your answer for how the number could have been lower?
There is no answer from me but if an incumbent governor or POTUS campaigned in that state with 42.5% of its residents applying for unemployment do you think that person stands a chance for re-election?

draybook

Except Twitter isn't a private company.

hakunamatata

Unapologetically Proud
Premium Member
There is no answer from me but if an incumbent governor or POTUS campaigned in that state with 42.5% of its residents applying for unemployment do you think that person stands a chance for re-election?
I think it will have a lot to do with the people believing if the incumbent has a better chance of helping the economy bounce back of if the challenger does.

aw14

I wont deny that I am sure there are plenty of intelligent people at the Trump Rally, but I also doubt it was all that hard to find the people featured in that video :)
It goes back to the old Howard Stern and Stuttering John street interviews. There are idiots everywhere, including at Trumps rallies.

drizgirl

Generally that's true. But we both know these are very unusual circumstances.

Club34

Got a link?
I do not. I am sorry. I saw some kind of footage on MSNBC almost as I saw your post so I think its new. It was the cops on the sidewalk with the "suspects" but they were Blocked out- meaning the footage was "doctored". Don't know if that was from the PD or MSNBC...anything is possible.

Top Bottom