• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

Just came to say I’m proud to be descended from “sh*thole” Africa, a continent full of beauty.

Looking forward to taking my melanated self to the “sh*thole” motherland.
Can you answer something honestly and bluntly -

Do you want people migrating to this country who can’t read or write? Or at best, have very little education?

And if so, why?

Do you want people migrating to this country who can’t read or write? Or at best, have very little education?

And if so, why?
You do know there are some very prominent people such as Levi Strauss, Dikembe Mutumbo, Liz Clariborne, Freddy Adu, Oscar De la Renta, Jerry Yang (Yahoo),Indria Nayooa (PepsiCo), nearly every successful indian migrant, etc came with a small knowledge not even enough to get by yet still contributed to American sucesses in multiple fields.

You do know there are some very prominent people such as Levi Strauss, Dikembe Mutumbo, Liz Clariborne, Freddy Adu, Oscar De la Renta, Jerry Yang (Yahoo),Indria Nayooa (PepsiCo), nearly every successful indian migrant, etc came with a small knowledge not even enough to get by yet still contributed to American sucesses in multiple fields.
Seriously? Not quite.

You got anything to refute it other than your feelings?
Feelings?
More like knowledge. I don’t know the background of everyone on that list.. but I know 3 for sure. Most notably Oscar de la Renta... and Liz Claiborne and Levi Strauss.

Go learn a little bit about those folks then come back and tell me if they are at all close to what Quinnmac is claiming. Oscar de la Renta’s upbringing was not quite one of a typical struggling Dominican.lol.
#themoreyouknow

Club34

I’m not interested in fantasies or comparing a different time to today’s time. There are less similarities than you and c-one are claiming there are.
Sure, by your conveniently cherry picked metrics. I think you are living in a fantasyland. A truly convenient and privileged fantasyland. If you are of European descent, then likely the only thing you did was be lucky enough to be born here. Same as me. Where do you get the ego to cast such judgment on people who would look to better their prospects or say they won't be contributors?!?! Who are you?! What is your evidence for this? Please present it. I am going to accuse you of making assertions based on your feelings. And to me, it sounds eerily like trump.

Many, if not most, European immigrants came here as poor, uneducated, and did not speak the language. Do not give me some garbage about risk, land/space concerns, or welfare. And consequences? Back when legal protections did not exist and diseases were so rampant and many did not even survive the journey? What risks are you even talking about? Risk to who? You? Forget you and your delicate sensibilities. And what government have you ever stood up to? Must be so nice to be born in 20th century America after all the heavy lifting is done, isn't it? And then you have the nerve to claim ownership? Talk about entitlement. So disingenuous. I really cannot believe you would type such garbage. Unless you are a self-made millionaire first nation person, you have ZERO room to make such assertions about others coming here. Truly staggering. This nation [yes, the greatest nation] was built by immigrants.

I know we have exchanged posts before and although I disagreed with you at times, I felt you/I were of just different opinions. These posits you have made here are completely and utterly ignorant. And if you want to talk about being honest I think its you who needs to reflect honestly about the motives behind your position. What was done to you or yours to make you look down so poorly on others?

And on the topic of turning our attention to other countries in struggle rather than Trump- you mean like the attention he gave to PR? Which is a US territory? Anything like that? I am not looking to save every person on the planet. That is not my intent. But I simply find it completely disingenuous of people [who are immigrants themselves] to cast such judgment and entitlement. Sure, there should be rules. I see very few who say otherwise. But I am hearing a lot of ignorant defense of Trump's racist and vile statements which, clear as day, were about more than just having rules.

I am a 3rd generation immigrant. I was lucky that there were not the immigration restrictions that exist today. My forebearers were just "allowed" in with a name and a face. I was lucky to be born of people who risked arduous journey of thousands of miles to come to a country where there were no guarantees and they had even less going for them. They were poor, uneducated, and some did not speak English. I hope I can live up to what they sacrificed for their families.

And if so, why?
Yes. There is a legitimate need for unskilled labor in this country, one our immigration system takes into account with H-2A (agriculture; not capped) and H-2B visas (non-ag like the hotel industry, restaurant workers, etc.; capped at 66,000/ year). Recall that Trump did a one-time increase of 15,000 on H-2B visas last year.

The Trump org utilizes these visas.

If I remember correctly....many of the H-2B workers they have or have had at their Florida properties are.....Haitian.

Sure, by your conveniently cherry picked metrics. I think you are living in a fantasyland. A truly convenient and privileged fantasyland. If you are of European descent, then likely the only thing you did was be lucky enough to be born here. Same as me. Where do you get the ego to cast such judgment on people who would look to better their prospects or say they won't be contributors?!?! Who are you?! What is your evidence for this? Please present it. I am going to accuse you of making assertions based on your feelings. And to me, it sounds eerily like trump.

Many, if not most, European immigrants came here as poor, uneducated, and did not speak the language. Do not give me some garbage about risk, land/space concerns, or welfare. And consequences? Back when legal protections did not exist and diseases were so rampant and many did not even survive the journey? What risks are you even talking about? Risk to who? You? Forget you and your delicate sensibilities. And what government have you ever stood up to? Must be so nice to be born in 20th century America after all the heavy lifting is done, isn't it? And then you have the nerve to claim ownership? Talk about entitlement. So disingenuous. I really cannot believe you would type such garbage. Unless you are a self-made millionaire first nation person, you have ZERO room to make such assertions about others coming here. Truly staggering. This nation [yes, the greatest nation] was built by immigrants.

I know we have exchanged posts before and although I disagreed with you at times, I felt you/I were of just different opinions. These posits you have made here are completely and utterly ignorant. And if you want to talk about being honest I think its you who needs to reflect honestly about the motives behind your position. What was done to you or yours to make you look down so poorly on others?

And on the topic of turning our attention to other countries in struggle rather than Trump- you mean like the attention he gave to PR? Which is a US territory? Anything like that? I am not looking to save every person on the planet. That is not my intent. But I simply find it completely disingenuous of people [who are immigrants themselves] to cast such judgment and entitlement. Sure, there should be rules. I see very few who say otherwise. But I am hearing a lot of ignorant defense of Trump's racist and vile statements which, clear as day, were about more than just having rules.

I am a 3rd generation immigrant. I was lucky that there were not the immigration restrictions that exist today. My forebearers were just "allowed" in with a name and a face. I was lucky to be born of people who risked arduous journey of thousands of miles to come to a country where there were no guarantees and they had even less going for them. They were poor, uneducated, and some did not speak English. I hope I can live up to what they sacrificed for their families.
Ignorance and hate, right?

People need to learn how to separate emotions from facts.

It’s not mean or hateful to call a country poor and overwhelmingly uneducated. Sometimes it just the truth. It is not saying that these are ‘bad people’.

Ignorance is not knowing. Not knowing what goes on in these countries, why they are what they are, and blaming the US for their plight.
You want to be a social justice warrior/savior of 3rd world countries? Go visit one. Open your eyes. Maybe you’ll be able to see why a country such as Haiti, in such a prime location, is so terribly destitute when their next door neighbor and island cohabitant is not in such a position.
The DR is still poor. Haiti is indescribably poverty stricken.
You can’t compare it to Kansas or people such as Oscar de la Renta.. it is so many lightyears away from such comparisons.

Yes. There is a legitimate need for unskilled labor in this country, one our immigration system takes into account with H-2A (agriculture; not capped) and H-2B visas (non-ag like the hotel industry, restaurant workers, etc.; capped at 66,000/ year). Recall that Trump did a one-time increase of 15,000 on H-2B visas last year.

The Trump org utilizes these visas.

If I remember correctly....many of the H-2B workers they have or have had at their Florida properties are.....Haitian.
Haitians are a large population in SoFla. So are Central Americans.. but an unlimited number can’t be allowed to come to or stay in SoFla, or the US in general.

...but an unlimited number can’t be allowed to come to or stay in SoFla, or the US in general.
I have some good news for you - there is already a 'per country limit' on family-sponsored visas calculated every fiscal year. "No more than 7 percent of the visas may be issued to natives of any one independent country in a fiscal year; no more than 2 percent may issued to any one dependency of any independent country"

@SorcererMC I brought this up earlier in the tread (probably 80 pages ago lol)... This incident was such a huge deal when it happened. My heart breaks for these people. They risk their lives to come here.
However, for anyone to pretend that the basis for not allowing any and every Haitian to gain US legal status is based on RACISM is absurd.

It’s a political tool. It’s not new, but it’s never any less shocking to me.

Anyway, here’s an article that’s a little interesting, it was all over our news in SoFla for weeks on end. Every human will feel sorry for these people, but we can’t take everyone in just because we feel sorry for them. We definitely can’t pretend that the color of their skin is the reasoning for not allowing them to stay. http://www.foxnews.com/story/2002/1...ian-immigrants-run-ashore-near-miami.amp.html

I have some good news for you - there is already a 'per country limit' on family-sponsored visas calculated every fiscal year. "No more than 7 percent of the visas may be issued to natives of any one independent country in a fiscal year; no more than 2 percent may issued to any one dependency of any independent country"
Which is great.. if so many weren’t here illegally.

That's not the issue...the issue is the illegals coming here and draining our resources. Why don't you open your front door to all these people and let them live in your house for free and eat all your food without paying for it and pay for their healthcare and everything else they get for free on the backs of hard working tax paying Americans!

That is an enforcement problem.
Yes, it is. It’s not possible to find every illegal.. not in one state, much less the entire country. When they are found, they shouldn’t be rewarded with rights that so many others have gone thru the proper channels to receive.

I wonder, and this question is more for @c-one and @Quinnmac000 and @raven24. Is the DR racist for not allowing rights to so many Haitians?
Can we say that the DR is not racist, but American policies are?
I can’t wrap my head around that. Which is why I know it’s more political and SJW BS.

That's not the issue...the issue is the illegals coming here and draining our resources. Why don't you open your front door to all these people and let them live in your house for free and eat all your food without paying for it and pay for their healthcare and everything else they get for free on the backs of hard working tax paying Americans!
Ok. How is the US going to deter or stop them from trying to come here?
In other words, how is the US going to solve the push factors of poverty and crime in source countries?
Generally-speaking, I don't find that most people are in favor of interventionist policies whereby the US would try to 'fix' the governance problems of other countries (Latin America/Western Hemisphere and elsewhere).

Ok. How is the US going to deter or stop them from trying to come here?
In other words, how is the US going to solve the push factors of poverty and crime in source countries?
Generally-speaking, I don't find that most people are in favor of interventionist policies whereby the US would try to 'fix' the governance problems of other countries (Latin America/Western Hemisphere and elsewhere).
The only way to deter them is to keep deporting illegals. Not make them legal. The more that happens, the less we will see people trying to come here. It won’t end, but it will improve.